“Amazing stay at the Banyan Tree Al Wadi - will be returning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan Tree Al Wadi

You added Banyan Tree Al Wadi to your Saves list
Banyan Tree Al Wadi
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Al Mazraa, PO Box 35288, Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Yorkshire, England
“Amazing stay at the Banyan Tree Al Wadi - will be returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the Banyan Tree Al Wadi from 05 - 09 Jan, with our two young children. Check-in was quick, just 10 minutes in total and we were driven to our room, which was ready early.
We stayed in a King Villa, which has a beautiful big heated pool looking out on the desert, where you can swim and watch the Gazelle, which roam freely around the resort.
Breakfast was fantastic, with a lovely selection of freshly made juices and a good choice of food. I really liked the outside area of the Al Wadi restaurant and yes there were some flies but we had just stayed at Bab Al Shams before here and there were plenty more there, its just the time of year as its cooler.
We dined at both the restaurants but found the portions at the Thai restaurant to be huge and it was a little cold outside with no heaters, although they do bring you blankets. We also did the in-villa BBQ, which was fantastic, Rashid cooked us a wonderful meal and the Seabass was especially good.
The staff at the resort were especially very good and no request was too much. They genuinely wanted to do all they could for us, much better service than the One and Only, where we also stayed the previous week.
We took part in a number of activities, which I though were reasonable in price. I had a great horse ride one morning and the instructor was very friendly. We also did a family camel ride. Another activity worth mentioning are the free bikes, which are all around the resort, allowing you a fun way of travelling around, without waiting for a buggy. I also used the gym, which was ok but the treadmill was faulty and there were no small free weights for ladies, which I would have like to have used.
We also took advantage of the Spa, having fantastic massages and also enjoying the Rainforest experience; but allow yourself a little more than one hour.
My daughter went to the kids club, which I was a little disappointed with; but mainly because there were no other children for her to play with. Often it was shut up and someone had to come and unlock it. I also found that they let her watch DVD's a little too frequently. There is a fantastic outdoor play area outside though.
One day we went to the sister hotel at the beach. This is literally only 20 minutes away and well worth the trip. You get a short boat ride and we practically had the beach to ourselves. We found the resort to be very tranquil and great for families. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Al Wadi, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for your valuable feedback regarding your stay.
We are delighted to read you had an amazing stay and will be returning to Banyan Tree Al Wadi!

Our lovely Villa is just perfect to relax at the desert facing pool and our Activity Center is just perfect for action just like camel rides. We are happy you enjoyed both as well as our delicious In Villa BBQ and the massage at our award winning Spa.

Thank you for your gentile words in regards to our associates and their service.

The Banyan Tree Al Wadi team is looking forward to welcoming you back again either at the desert or the beach.

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Booked a night stay for myself and my wife for her birthday 22nd Dec 2012 - had the beachfront villa with private pool - nice romantice evening planned. Checked in at 3pm, pool freezing, rang reception and was told someone will come out, worker came checked it and said, yes its too cold and will take 4/5 hours to heat up and left ?. Rang reception again and was told, yes it will take 4/5 hours to heat up?. At no point did anyone offer a change of room, checked pool at 8am next day, still too cold, rang reception and was told someone will come out, worker came again, and said yes it was too cold and he would see what could be done. At 11am the Assistant Front Office Manager called to "appologise" for the issue and said they had only just been made aware of my complaint?, and assured me that they will turn up the heater to the max and it will be ok in a few hours - to which I asked, what good is that to me as I am checking out for 12:00, she said I could stay a couple of hours longer - given that I was playing golf at 12:30, I told her that this was of absolutly no use to me, and her offer was far too late anyway and also how disapointed I was that after complaing at 3pm the previous day and subsequently, that she was only "made aware at 11am" - what kind of 5 star service is this ? - so our romantic evening in the pool with a bolltle of champange was not too be - and to be honest the night was a waste of money as both of us were so disapointed it put a dampner on the whole evening. Final insult to injury, on checking out, I again said how disapointed I was and even wrote on the invoice "one very disatisfied customer", the response I got was just a little smile and "sorry sir" - to date no reply, no formal appology - in summary a very expensive palce, could be a really nice experience but sadly let down by poor and unporffesional service.

Room Tip: make sure someone checks the pool temprature - you would think it would be standard practice given t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We are saddened you did not enjoy your stay at Banyan Tree Ras Al Khaimah Beach.
For the discomfort regarding the unsatisfying pool temperature and the inefficient handling of your complaint we wish to sincerely apologize. Kindly be assured that your comment is taken into serious consideration and was followed up with the respective teams to avoid any repetition.

We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back to set right the disappointment and provide you with the relaxing romantic evening you were looking for.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was so disappointed of the the whole stay.. It was very embarrassing infront of my husband as it was a gift for his birthday ..
When I booked I asked for room arrangements with a cake and roses . When we reached to our villa they were working inside the room and asked us to stay outside and wait, we weren't early . We reached around 5:30 pm .. Anyways , the arrangements was a shame !!!! Flowers from the street I guess and no cake and very cheap looking . . When I asked abt the cake they said it will come shortly.. It was very bad cake Just two slices .. Really very cheap quality .. I paid extra money for the arrangement and nothing happened ..
Sheets are not clean even the toilet has stain in the corners .. So disgusting .. I would never come to this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone .. Very bad experience !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We are saddened you did not enjoy your stay with us as our additional Villa arrangements did not meet your expectations. We wish to apologize therefore. Kindly be assured that your matter has been addressed to the respective teams to ensure a prospective attainment of our guest expectations.

We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Al Wadi to show you our improvements.

The Banyan Tree Al Wadi team is looking forward to welcoming you again.

Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked a one night stay night of 23rd Dec 2012.
This was to be our very special christmas treat.
I booked over the phone , directly with the hotel reservations. I was under the impression that I had booked a night at the Banyan beach resort. We arrived at the beach resort only to find they did not have any record of our booking. After several phone calls we were told our room was at the Al Wadi Banyan Resort. I was not happy as we had set our hearts on a beach break. There were no rooms available at the beach resort so we had no choice but to go to Al Wadi, another 45 min added on to our journey when we should have been sipping beverages by the pool!!
I was told that due to the mix up I would not be charged for the extra adult in our room ( my 14 year old daughter)I was pleased with that.

We were taken in a golf buggy to our villa. My husband was just recovering from fairly major surgery so was unable to walk more than a few meters, so we had to call for a golf cart in order to get around the resort. I would certainly not recommend this resort if you have a member of your party who is unable to walk far or is disabled, or elderly.

We were told that our luggage would follow us to the room to the room.

The villas are indeed palatial . Huge beds, a bathroom big enough to have a party in!

We waited and waited for our luggage and after 45 min and a call to reception it turned up. We felt we could not relax till our things had arrived and we could settle in. Then, only half of the bags arrived so we had to wait a further 20min for the rest to appear.

The main bedroom was well set out, but everything smelt damp and musty. There was paint peeling off the wall in one corner (see photo) The bed was very large and comfy.

The bathroom only had 2 towels, no hand towels or face cloths. We rang reception for extras. The bathroom was far from spotlessly clean (see photo) We also asked for fly spray to be brought as the room was full of flies.

My daughter was sleeping on the sofa bed. It was like sleeping on a board, very very hard and very uncomfortable. It needed some kind of a mattress topper to make it softer. My daughter was on the reservation so housekeeping must have known there was an extra person sleeping in the room. By 9 pm ish, no one had come to make up the bed , so once again we had to call and ask for it to be done. There was no turn down service either, we just piled the cushions from the bed on the floor! My daughter and I ended up re making the sofa bed after the staff left trying to make it more comfy by folding the duvet in half and her sleeping on top of it.

There was no restaurant guide or timings in the directory, the whole section was missing. We asked for that too but they brought the wrong one so we gave up! We had no clue what restaurants there were or the timings of any of them. There was also no price list for the mini bar.There was also no number for contacting room service, as is the norm, we had to call reception who only answered after some considerable time.
The villa has a beautiful pool but alas it was way too cold to swim in .There is a very glamorous bose sound system with TV surround sound, that did not work and we were not about to ask for yet another issue to be resolved.

By about 7.15 pm we decided to go for dinner. We had to call for a buggy as my husband was unable to walk far and I was in high heels! The resort is very large and spread out. Bikes are available and had my husband been fit we would have enjoyed using them . Unfortunately he was not able to.
We waited and waited and waited for a buggy (golf cart) 25 min and no sign. Another call to reception. We stood outside the villa on the path. One cart stopped with a charming Philippine lady driving. She could not take us as the battery was almost flat! Another 5 min wait and another cart went past. He picked us up and off we went. 2 mins on the cart and it ground to a halt! Flat battery!!! We waited for another cart to take us.
We eventually got to the international restaurant at 8.15pm an hour after starting off! To say I was not happy was an understatement. We went in to the restaurant. It felt like a school dining hall. Very echoey, bright lights no atmosphere and hoards of kids running round and shouting and crying. Not the place to have a relaxed family dinner.
We decided to go and sit outside. We sat at a table and once again we waited and waited.

No one greeted us or offered us a menu or a drink. The restaurant was far from full but the staff looked flustered and not in control. My husband ended up waving his arms in the air to attract the attention of the waiter who at first ignored him. He eventually came over and brought a menu after we asked for one. No drinks were offered.
We looked at the menu. I do not eat eggs or dairy products so tend to eat fish , meat and plain vegetables. This was the international restaurant and there were only 4 pages in the menu. The first appetizers, 2 pages of main courses and a page of arabic cuisine. This may sound a lot but there were only 2 meat choices, pasta, fish pizza etc. I have NEVER been to a restaurant with such a pitiful selection on the menu. Bear in mind this was the main restaurant, the other choice was a Thai restaurant which we did not fancy. After another 15 min we decided that we would return to our room and order room service. The room service menu is extensive so why the restaurant menu is not the same or more extensive goodness knows.
After an uneventful buggy ride we got back to the villa , hungry and tired . We felt like it had been an endurance test not a delightful evening out as planned.
My husband ordered room service. It took 50 min to arrive. By this time it was close to 10pm, far too late for us to eat. Bear in mind we set out at 7.15 to eat and eventually by almost ten we were sat on our terrace with dinner on the table!

At 3 AM we were all woken to the sound of loud music. My daughter came in as she too had been woken.We went outside and the people in the villa next-door were in the pool (the freezing pool!!) with loud music playing. Sound carries in the desert so it sounded very loud. I was about to shout over the wall to be quiet but my husband suggested it would be better to call reception. I called , it rang and rang. Eventually a lady answered who sounded half asleep. I was blazing mad by this time.
After about half an hour we heard the phone ring next door. the people clearly did not hear it because of the loud music, we could hear it next door!!
Eventually it went quiet, it was 4AM!! I understand the hotel has no control over individual guests but they should have conduct guidelines to ensure all the guests have a nice time

The following morning we just stood outside to wait for a buggy to take us to breakfast.One came along in no time. Breakfast was excellent . We sat outside which apart from the flies was lovely. The food was the usual buffet selection , it was all very nice , fresh and well presented. There are no pork products which is understandable as this is a muslim country, but I could not understand why they were serving bucks fizz?? There was an ice bucket with 3 bottles of bubbly in it! very nice but huge double standards. No pork but alcohol??!! I have lived in the middle east for over 20 years so am used to the restrictions but this one had me very puzzled.

I was disappointed that there is no communal pool area with a bar where you can mix with other guests if you choose. We had access to the rainforest but were unable to use it as my daughter is under 18. I understand why they don't want children in there .

The grounds are very well maintained and for the most part the staff are pleasant. The desert setting is beautiful.

I have to say I would not return to this hotel and would not recommend it to any of my friends. This is about the worst hotel experience I have had in a very long time. The potential for this hotel is huge but the organization and management lets it down badly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We are sorrowful to read that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your stay at Banyan Tree Al Wadi even though you consider our Villa as palatial and enjoyed our big comfy bed as well as the bathroom where you could have a party in.

For any shortcomings and any discomfort you faced during your time with us we wish to sincerely apologize. Kindly be assured that you feedback is taken into consideration to avoid any repetition prospectively and is followed up with the concerned teams.

We do hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Al Wadi or Banyan Tree Ras Al Khaimah Beach to make you experience the real Banyan Tree spirit.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This resort is one of the best places we visited. We did the right thing when booked it to celebrate our wedding anniversary!!! We stayed in “Al Sahari Tented Pool Villa”, the place is superb; very calm. The staff are extra nice; professional and do their best to make you feel home. They even surprised us with a lovely note ‘wishing us happy wedding anniversary’ and a delicious complimentary cake.
Al Waha restaurant had great food selection; a bit pricy but worth it, we go for the buffet breakfast and dinner. Safran Tower is great private place to dine-in (Heritage) but if you are visiting the place during summer don’t go for it.
If you are a reader, then visit their Library.

Room Tip: All the villas are with amazing private pool, they also offer to cover it to make it more private (o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Al Wadi, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

One of the best places you ever visited – titles like your fill us with pride.
We are delighted you chose our romantic resort to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary and had a lovely time with us. To surprise you with a little delicious cake was our pleasure.
Your gentile words for our associates will serve as additional motivation.

The Banyan Tree Al Wadi team is looking forward to welcoming you back home to us again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Gentle staff, great service and perfect location! Sand dunes are spectacullar! But please reduce the noise of the water coming from a pool. Hard to sleep. Everything else were excellent!
Want to say thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Al Wadi, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Gentle staff, great service, perfect location – a perfectly matching description of our gorgeous resort. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Banyan Tree Al Wadi to the maximum. We sincerely appreciate your ‘Thank you’.

The Banyan Tree Al Wadi team is looking forward to welcoming you back again for another stay in our ‘great hotel’.

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Staid at the Al Wadi for 5 nights from Jan1-6 - Given previous comments in tripadvisor we asked for a very quiet room (Al Khaima tented pool villa) got room 507: very good view, wonderful suite (almost too large for a couple).

Pros: Very friendly/supportive staff; as stated above great room, nice view of the dunes ahead, excellent restaurants.
Cons: If you go there for a peaceful time you need (at all cost)! to avoid having a villa with noisy guests (of all ages) close to you (close = the next or second next villa) - the sounds come back from the dunes and all tranquility is lost. Also we did notice (on 2 occasions, this affecting 2 of our 4 complete days at the resort) - that such unpleasantly unruly guests (where-ever they come from) are extremely unsympathetic to any request olowering of their noise level (be this their screaming children or loutdmusic) - if fact one particular family told us "we paid the same rate as you, hence we make as much noise as we want...". Hotel staff intervened with some intermittent success; I can imagine it must be difficult to tell your guests to tone it down a bit, particularly as this is a high cost resort and guests are not likely to be meekly listening when being admonished. A suggestion to hotel management: either you should market the hotel as family resort (not the case right now - and one of the main reasons why we stayed with you) or at least make sure to put families with smaller children into the villas facing one direction and everyone else into those facing the other, this should help maintain peace on one side of the resort. Also tthe swimmining pool pumps are very noisy, this should be looked at villa for villa and remedied.

Second con: I would remove the wall facing the western side of the resort (one goes there to see the desert and not a wall, even not a low one) - if you need a barrier, put it behind the dunes so guests get the feeling of looking into an empty desert rather than into an enclosed slice of it.

This being said, the resort must be absolutely wonderful in any off season unless during the summer months when we were told that heat & humidity make a bad combination.

Finally - this being a costly proposition I do not agree with the price policy on activities and rather think that most of those should be included in the overall rates.

I do hope to be back one day, rather sooner if we get note that these suggestions are being implemented...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

An oasis with wonderful Villas and stunning view – sound definitely like Banyan Tree Al Wadi. We are delighted you had a great stay with us enjoying our excellent Cuisine and being pampered by our lovely associates. For any inconveniences you faced during your stay we wish to apologize. Kindly be assured that we took note of the mentioned matters and will take them into consideration.

The Banyan Tree Al Wadi team is looking forward to welcoming you back again for some more tranquility.

Area General Manager

Been to Banyan Tree Al Wadi? Share your experiences!