“Lower your expectation...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of City Hotel

You added City Hotel to your Saves list
City Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Al Muntaser Street, Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Dubai
“Lower your expectation...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Firstly do not get your expectation up- the reality is that this is a 2 star hotel AT BEST. If you go in knowing that fact ...then you will have an ok experience.
The negatives of our stay.
1. Our adjoining rooms BOTH REEKED of STRONG cigarette smoke. It was ALL over the bedding, curtains, upholstery etc... The worst part was- cigarette fumes came from the AC duct all night we had the AC on! We couldnt sleep. At one point my husband and I were 'tearing' as the fumes were stinging our eyes. It was truly an unpleasant experience esp as we are non-smokers. (It almost triggered a migrane for me!)
2. The bathrooms were not KID friendly- they were extremely slippery and 3 of our kids slipped and hit their heads on the hard tiled floor and glass doors...potentially V HAZZARDOUS.
3. Our en-suite bathroom - although clean, had plumbing/guttering issues and STANK of sewage- we had to keep the door shut and avoided using that toilet. Each bathroom provided ONLY 1 TOWEL- we are a family of 5+babysitter!
3. There is a nearby garage (opposite our room on 3rd floor) which decided to do 'motor checks' at 10 pm - sounded like 'drag-racing' - was incredibly annoying..it was very loud and woke up the kids!!!! I complained at reception after enduring 30 mins of noise, and the reception must have had them on speed dial because the noise stopped almost instantaneously as I put down the phone !!! :)
4. Iceland park is 15 to 20 mins from this hotel...it is quite a LONG haul especially with kids dressed up and waiting eagerly for the waterpark. Also u have to pay extra at iceland for towels etc- so take your own towels. Also the Ac is cranked up to MAX inside the locker rooms...be careful...kids were freezing and shivering in the changing rooms after swimming!
5. View from our room was abysmal! (car park/garage/run-down neighbourhood) Also hardly any selection of good channels on Tv/cable. No movies/children's cartoon channels.
POsitives- Rooms were v basic but clean and quite spacious.Also reception DID stop the motor noise V V FAST. Breakfast buffet was ok. Also location convenient as opposite Manar Mall/carrefour.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 303+302- fyi
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The hotel was great - rooms were clean, big enough for us with a 1 year old baby and they provided a baby cott which was awesome... rooms was nice.... but the are ontop of a bar and it gets loud.. but I was happy that it was very close to the mall (literally across the road) so loads of food options and stuff available for us... Would go back, maybe ask for a higher room...

Room Tip: Go to a higher room - not sure if it helps with the loud late night music, but worth a shot...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Hotel have nice location next to Manar mall, but crossing the road may be not safe. Hotel workers was really nice and polite. Room was big and clean, nice design, nice view from balcony. But the big problem is really poor soundproof. first hotel in a busy street, so you can hear cars really good even with closed windows, but the biggest problem is that hotel have night club on rooftop , music and bass not let me sleep all night! I made complain, they turn music little down, but I still can feel the bass, so it was a torture, I stayed in lobby till 4 am, using free wifi, because I cant stay in my room. So I can't recommend this hotel to people, who like to sleep at night and relax in quite place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ujjain, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We booked the hotel with the free Iceland Waterpark tickets. their service is good. our AC was not working, we reported it to reservation and the mechanic was not availble as it was 10 in the night then after 30 mins they upgraded us to a suite for free. bathrooms in both room n suite were clean n hygienic.

even the morning breakfast was good with a mix of Arabic, Indian and continental food and the view from our room n their top floor restaurant was also good.

so it was a mix n match experience

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are good as you can see the lagoons n creek from window.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

This is an amazing hotel. Service and professionalism is beyond compare. Staff fall over backwards to make you feel special and nothing was too much trouble for anyone. The room was very nice, not overly big, but adequate. Location was good just opposite to Manar Mall. No shortage of cabs and hire cars. Great hotel to stay with family providing a worth deal free entrance to Iceland such gives a lot of priviledges. Worth spending every dhirams in the hotel. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: I would recommend the creek view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We booked the hotel with the free Iceland Waterpark tickets. If I knew ahead how bad their service is, I could have just bought our tickets at Iceland and not wasted our time going to the hotel.

It was my son's birthday so I decided to book the upgraded suite for an additional cost. When we arrived there at 1pm. The lady in the check-in said that we can check in after we go to Iceland because the standard room is not yet ready. What happened to suite I booked? She cannot confirm my reservation because she said that the staff I have spoken is off from work. After settling into an agreement for additional payment, she booked the suite room. She didn't even bother inform us where the breakfast was and the time. Maybe I was just used to other hotels where their reception are far better.

We arrived at the hotel after we went to Iceland and around 7pm. Parking only outside the hotel.

The Suite Room: 5th floor

Two bathroom but ONLY 1 bath towel (we are a family of 4)

Their advertised mini bar - the refrigirator was EMPTY! There's not even a bottle of water!

The additional bed - matress was bad, blanket was worse

Awful smell inside the room

We decided to drive back to Dubai than stay in this hotel. In total, I we stayed 15 minutes thinking that I even paid extra for the upgrade.

One thing made me laugh though, when I was checking out, the manager asked me if there is anything I took from the minibar. What minibar was he talking about?

Maybe they forgot to reserve my suite room? At 7pm check in, They forgot the minibar? They forgot the towels?

Worst hotel I have ever been!

• Stayed November 2011
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

The location was not hard to find.From clock tower R/A turn right and then from signal take left.
The deal was made through dealgobbler for 1 night stay with tickets to Iceland park entry for 2 adults and 2 children.So it was a good deal according to me.
As soon as we entered and showed our deal,we were promptly given the tickets by receptionist Ms.Adora.I should say there was a crowd as it was a friday and she was doing well.She even guided us to the nearest mosque,so that was nice,we then headed to Icepark and when we came back at 8pm,we were given room 101.my hubby wanted some floor on top,but was said that special care had been given to me(as I had already requested for peace and quiet) as top floors there would be music,but we slept sound and nice at the comfortable beds,The curtains was good,the dressing and all furniture was neat and good.for the price I paid it was worth every dirham.I enjoyed it all,The weather was cold,so we shut off the a/c.the bathroom was neat and spacious.
Mr.Udaykumar the customer service manager gave us a hearty welcome,that was nice
Room service was prompt.
on request with Ms.Elvie,i had even got my bfast earlier than their time at 4,30 am as I had to fast that morning (Arafat day).
after relaxing we then stepped out across the road to see Carrefour at Manar Mall,then had dinner there,came back and slept well.
Next morning we just checked out easy and fast,maybe bcoz we had paid through credit with the deal.
Hope to come back withsome other deal
Had great time and relaxed for a night out of my home in Uae

Room Tip: ask for room facing the main road or just take any at the lower floor they say if uwant to avoid mus...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to City Hotel? Share your experiences!