“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Mykolayiv B&B and Inns
Atvidaberg, Sweden
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very nice hotel. I stayed here for 15 nights and there was not a single thing to complain about.
The staff was nice and had no problem to understand english, my room was nice and clean.
I had some meals at the otel and that was quit good.
Overall a good hotel well worth the money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed one night on a business trip. The staff were helpful if not a bit flustered. The reception is in a building next to the restaurant. Above the restaurant are the rooms. My room was fairly clean, the floors could have been a little more clean. Bedding was fine, bed was fine. Big rooms.

Hard to find any electric plugs in the room though there are plenty outside in the halls where I ended up charging both my mobile and computer.

They had not finished making the room up when they put me in it even though I arrived around 5 pm. It was missing toiletries in the bathroom and slippers (not a big thing for me, but it seemed to fluster the woman who had showed me upstairs). Upon checking out I realized that not only were those items missing, but the minibar had not been stocked up and we had an uncomfortable moment when this was discovered and they accused me of taking some things that were never present to begin with. In the end it was discovered that it had not been restocked and I learned that in this hotel always go through the minibar menu to make certain all items are there. The manager was very apologetic when it was discovered that it was their mistake.

I would stay here again. The staff was very nice and helpful, just check your minibar with the price list upon arrival.

The attached restaurant was very nice in terms of service and food. The interior decoration was entertaining and gave you something to ponder over dinner. Good food for both dinner and breakfast. Most of the staff spoke English.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kyiv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Since my previous review, I returned to Korall two more times. Each time my fave Delux2 was booked, but I was offered apartments with a tempting discount – too good to reject. Attached to this review are the photos of two different apartments from my two stays.

One of the apartments was located inside the mansion, and only had windows opening to the corridor. As a result, it was somewhat dark, had no fresh air inflow (there was an A/C though), and I could hear the other guests walking by. On a positive side, it had a spacious bathroom with sophisticated hydro-massage bath-tube.

Next time I asked for another apartment, and was offered the one facing a very quiet backyard. There were windows in a living-room, bedroom and bathroom, so it was light and airy. Much preferred, even though the bedroom here was smaller.

I don’t have anything to add to my first review about sleep quality and service; all very good.

The only drawback this time was the restaurant. On the night of our arrival they hosted a wedding and refused to serve anyone else, including the hotel’s guests, even with a simple sandwich. Luckily, the delivery is available in Mykolaiv, and we arranged it from Kazbek Georgian restaurant (see separate review). The next day the breakfast was served so slowly that we could have had two dinners during the time it arrived. Very disappointing.

To finish positively, there was a nice discovery about Korall that I missed on my first time here. Between its administrative building and the mansion, there is a quiet oasis of the inner courtyard, with sofas and coaches hidden under the tent and surrounded by greenery. Lovely to sit in with a glass of wine or a cup of tea, or a netbook – free wifi was available.

Room Tip: Delux2 remains my fave and the best value
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kyiv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Initially this hotel was recommended to me by my colleagues. But when I looked at its pictures, I was a bit shocked by the screaming interior. It was only thanks to the positive feedback on the local travel web-sites that I decided to give it a try... and was really happy I did.

I stayed here during the business part of my trip to Mykolaiv, and then, having run away from the noisy construction in Reikartz River, returned for two more days of leisure, and never regretted.

LOCATION

Korall hotel is located in the central part of the city, couple of blocks away from a few museums and sights. The main quay is somewhat away though, reachable by a short drive or a longish walk.

Makarova street is very green, not too wide or busy. At night the traffic noise wasn’t bothering, even with the balcony open. And there weren’t too many other guests around. So it was amazingly quiet, and the sleep was just excellent.

The hotel is easy to find if you drive, has convenient approach and simple access to all main routes from the city (Odessa, Kherson, Kyiv).

PARKING

Free parking is right in front of the hotel. Each car is placed between the trees on the lower part of the sidewalk and at an angle (so that less of it was on the road). There always was a parking space available.

HOTEL

The hotel consists of a beautiful three-storey mansion, where deluxe rooms and suites are; the restaurant, and a smaller administrative building with the reception and economy rooms. These are all placed in one line on Makarova Street, and a hotel staff member walks along and shows the guests to the reception. He’s also the one to assist with the luggage, if needed.

There’s no elevator in the mansion, just the winding stairs, somewhat steep.

SUITE AND BATHROOM

The room (called «suite 2» on Ukr/Ru web-site and «deluxe 2» on Eng) was on the 3rd floor of the mansion. It was lovely! Perfectly spacious, airy and light, with a balcony right over the mansion’s entrance and two large windows.

The interior was a bit cranky, but not at all irritating as I was afraid of from the pictures. The abundance of mirrors added space. There were lots of closets and wardrobes in the room; one of them kept a small fridge with a mini-bar. Large kingsize bed with moderately firm mattress and four pillows gave a wonderful sleep.

The bathroom was perfectly clean, but not without some downsides. There was no curtain in the bath, and the water pressure was too weak. Also, the shelf by the sink was too small, so I had to use the towel stand to place all my things. There were all necessities though - bathrobes and slippers, full set of toiletries (shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste and brush), a hair-dryer.

The A/C in the room worked fine and relatively (but not overly) quiet. It would have been too hot without it in the morning, when the sun was shining right through the windows. And there were no blinders, just transparent curtains on them.

Free WiFi with a decent signal (there were some temporary problems during one evening only) was easily accessible both in the room and in the restaurant.

All rooms are non-smoking. The fine for smoking is UAH 500.

RESTAURANT - SHOULDN’T BE MISSED!

The room rate includes breakfast for one person only. If there are more of you staying, every next set will cost you UAH 50 (as of Jul 2012), that’s caUS$6.25.

The breakfast consisted of a glass of juice, a cup of coffee, some cottage cream with cookies and a hot meal of your choice - various kinds of eggs, omelettes or pancakes. Not too generous, but delicious. You can also order from the main menu, but at an extra cost.

Now, take my word of an avid pancake-eater: the ones in Korall were the best I’ve ever tried in Ukraine! So were varenyky, these Ukrainian specialty. Small varenyky, thin pancakes - they were mouthwatering, melting...

So even if you don’t stay in Korall, or even are in Mykolaiv on transit, at least drop in to their restaurant to try varenyky with brynza (sheep milk cheese) or with cherries, or pancakes with cottage cheese or with chicken and mushrooms.

We also had dinner in the restaurant several times. The portions were very generous, the meals delicious, and I was surprised by the attention to the details, unexpected in a province town. They never just placed food on the plate, but made a presentation, and decorated it - often with pink (coral) flowers.

It was also easy to take away from the restaurants up to our room.

SERVICE

As this is a mini-hotel, there aren’t much hotel services to expect. But everyone we dealt with - the receptionists, waitresses, security - were attentive and nice. The housekeeping was daily and decent.

RECOMMENDED!

Korall is a lovely mini-hotel, and I’m happy to recommend it to anyone visiting Mykolaiv... provided you are fine with pink colour, which is abundant here. I’m definitely coming back.

Room Tip: Delux2 perfectly spacious and light, but with the sun shining through the large windows in the morni...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Korall Hotel? Share your experiences!