“very impressive” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Donetsk
Moscow, Russia
“very impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This s a true 5 stars hotel, maybe the best 5-stars hotels I've ever been to in Europe. Spacious rooms with comfy beds and all sort of amenities and little things that make life a bit easier (eg shoe polish, the scales); with a great bathroom (I didn't have neither hot-tub nor a shower cabine kinda thing, still all was really pleasant, including a big illuminated magnifying mirror on the side of the main one); a good restaurant and a bar in the hotels.

Design looks pretty expensive and shiny with golden and brown colors, but done with taste and produces satisfying atmosphere. Breakfast with good choice of food is served in the orangerie.

The service was far beyond expectations, almost flawless.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JonasAmstad, General Manager at Donbass Palace, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear ZhuGurragchaa,

We would like to thank you for your very nice review on your stay at the Donbass Palace Hotel.
It is a great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms and amenities and please rest assured that we will share your comments with all our colleques and specially with our Executive Chef.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

Jonas Amstad
Hotel Manager
Donbass Palace Hotel - A Member of the Leading Hotels of the World

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Arrived here after a long trip which was lengthened by 2 hours due to delays. Was immediately put at ease by receptionist with an excellent friendly and relaxed manner

Even though it was after midnight I was able to get some food in the lobby lounge reasonably priced for a hotel of this standard as were the drinks.

Unfortunately the night got worse. My room was at the back and unbelieveably at times from 2 through top 5 in the morning large quantities of steel poles needed moving. Put up with it for a while then rang reception to complain. Made it clear that I didn’t know such behaviour was acceptable but thought I would let them know.

More than surprised to be told that this building which was effectively adjacent to the hotel was in the same ownership and so it would be fixed in the morning. I pointed out that this didn’t help my first night’s sleep.

I did wonder whether this was an old style lets disturb the night’s sleep of the visiting football team, an old trick. The Man United team were in the hotel, this was the night before their Champions League tie.

There was no issue the next night.

I had prepaid a rate that I believed when booking would give me a twin as in “twin or king”. It wasn’t until I got a secondary email confirmation that shared that this would most likely be a King lplus extra bed. I would suggest that where there is a difference and not just a bed rearrangement then the hotel’s own booking system should cope be able with it. The put up bed was beneath the standard of the hotel. Had I known prior to paying I may have booked elsewhere.

The hotel literature says they have a Business Centre. Reception did some printing for me having told me there wasn’t one but I had to use my smart phone. Yes some travel with Laptops and I pads some don’t. A guest was occupying a table in reception on a lap top too.

The bill was a mess, not designed for the customer but for internal accounting. I had pre paid the room so all except the mInibar was on signed items. But the 2 didn’t tally as they had split things in to alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks and food and alleged meals not accurately in the case of the meal times. So a simple comparison was not possible against what we had signed for.

In general the staff were great although the reception lead didn’t seem to understand the difference between accepting a guest’s feedback and defending/explaining why the bill was so constituted. Management were very visible and friendly in the public areas and as friendly as you could find

Shortly after my stay the hotel manager has mailed for the single most important improvement ideas and I have submitted my view on the Systems and IT

Other positives included an unbeatable location unless you actually wanted to be next to the football stadium, I didn’t.

There was that unidentifiable special feel in this property that one cannot always quantify

On my last day I received a phone call they knew who I was from 2 conversations and found me
The room was nicely furnished. A very comfortable bed although the additional bed provided could have been bigger and higher.

Nice bathroom with an excellent selection of toiletries. a narrow bath not helped by intrusive soap dish

Aircon didn’t seem to work hopefully not for out of season reasons in a hotel of this standard.

In a way the most difficult mark to decide on of the many reviews I have done given the ups and downs. I do wonder whether some guests confuse marks as opposed to star ratings. Happy this is a 5 star hotel as such it then should get marked against that expectation.

Would stay if back although I believe there is some more worthy competition than there used to be and they will need to work hard to maintain their price premium. They have the quality to do that against some of the new refurbed/newbuild properties elsewhere but they are being aimed differently perhaps.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JonasAmstad, General Manager at Donbass Palace, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear BasilsTravels,

First of all I would like to thank you for your very detailed report which will certainly help us to rectify the issues you have brought to my attention.

Unfortunately, I have to apologize for the inconvenience caused by an unexpected delivery and all the other remarks you highlighted in your review. Please rest assured that all your comments will be shared with my colleagues and managers in order to improve our services.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly by phone +38 062 343 41 19 or by email via jamstad@donbasspalace.com

We would be more than happy to welcome you back at the Donbass Palace and we are confident to make your next stay a memorable one.

Best regards,

Jonas Amstad
Hotel Manager
Donbass Palace - A Member of the Leading Hotels of the World
Haleiwa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was my first visit to the Ukraine and Donetsk.
I stayed at the Donbass Palace Hotel for 2 nights and was impressed by the hotel. I understand it was the Gestapo headquarter hotel during World War Two - but today you have a modern hotel in an historic setting with a very friendly helpful staff.
The rooms were nice with all modern amenities ,computer desk and international plugs, a beautiful balcony overlooking the center of Donetsk.
I enjoyed the fitness center with sauna, steam room and a large indoor pool with all kinds of unusual fitness amenities, like underwater stream, waterfalls, etc.
The food was great and reasonable, the service fantastic.
The location is as central as it gets and I did most of my sightseeing in walking distance and an easy one shot bus trip back.
I recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Donetsk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a business trip. The room was quite spacious, with a walk-in closet, and the main room had a sofa and seating area at one end. The room was clean, quiet, the bed was comfortable and the AC worked fine. The staff at the front desk were very pleasant, helpful and knowledgable. Would definitely come back here again on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very large - although "only" standard - room with walk-in closet. Very quiet and well located. Good restaurant in teh hotel, which is a must given the quite poor availability of good restaurants around. Excellent and friendly service.
The only point to improve in my view and that of my colleagues is teh light in the bathroom: very very low which makes you feel like taking a shower in the dark.
Overall decoration of the room very american (not sure whether this is a plus or a minus....)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Standard room here is much, much better and as roomy as the business suite at another hotel where we have stayed in Donetsk - and the same price (without breakfast). Beautiful woodwork and furnishings, nice view, attentive service, perfect location, zippy internet, as elegant as the Fairmont in Kiev - just an amazing hotel. Reception personnel are trained to offer many "upsale" services (junior suite, dining room reservation, spa treatment) - but also went out of their way to walk to our favorite restaurant (Millenium) to make reservations for us. Light in the bathroom is dim (not good for make-up) - but all else is truly first rate. Why didn't we try this palace on previous trips? Now we know!

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room in the entire hotel. Quiet, good A/C - very nice.