“Great Hotel in prime location” 4 of 5 stars

Stolichny
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bogdana Hmelnitzkogo Ave., 102, Donetsk 83015, Ukraine   |
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Donetsk
Rushden, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel in prime location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited Donetsk last week and stop in this great hotel. Newly built a year ago the rooms were superbly decorated and furnished. The lobby bar was great for a quick drink before exploring the city which is within walking distance. The staff were helpful and nothing to much trouble.The Liverpool Bar next door was great too for food after midnight and a drink. Definitely recommend if stopping for a couple of days on a city visit and beware of the taxi from the airport to the hotel, as it should be around 45, not 200 what we paid!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

• Turkish first
Diest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to celebrate our mariage there. We had a meeting with a female supervisor. She did not speak english. Rather strange for an international hotel.
In the offer she made a lot of our request were not recognized or added. After confronting her with this problem, she altered some of them but not all.
We had the feeling we were not talking seriously. We decided to go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I recently stayed in the Stolichniy Hotel for a week and some of the other reviews did give me 'food for thought'.

However, in the defence of the hotel, I didn't experience many of the problems that other reviewers did.

Firstly, as almost everyone else says, the rooms (wonderful beds) and location are excellent. As I was on the fifth floor, I didn't have any problems with exterior (or interior) noise and my air conditioning worked fine.

When I checked out, it was straightforward to pay my extras with a UK-issued credit card and I put a meal, laundry and a couple of bar bills on my room tab without any hassle.

One night I ate in the restaurant and had various Ukraine dishes, which were excellent; although it was slightly disconcerting that the restaurant was almost empty and I had three waitresses to attend to my needs!

Nor did I get hassled for tips.

The two negative points are that the wifi in the rooms is slow. It's not difficult to get access and it's suitable for reading emails etc but uploading and downloading large files is not possible and complex web pages are slow to load.

Having read the previous comments about the wifi, I didn't bother asking the hotel to try to improve it and fortunately I had access to fast wifi in the offices I was using.

In addition, the breakfast leaves a lot to be desired for a four star hotel! On the first day, I had the coffee... and it can only be described as toxic! The fruit juice sees to be powdered, there is a poor selection of fresh fruit and yoghurts (although plenty of hot food) and there was the ridiculous scenario of me asking for two tea bags in my pot of tea (as it was quite weak), only to be told that I'd have to pay for the second bag! I suggested that instead they just bring me a pot with half the amount of water.

The staff seemed to be rather stern towards western Europeans and/or Americans but this seemed to be the case everywhere in Donetsk and not just reserved for the hotel. However, they were fairly efficient, not rude, and I'd much prefer this to having staff constantly trill 'have a nice day'.

At an average price of around €70 a night I thought this was reasonable value-for-money and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Minsk, Belarus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The good things about this hotel are rooms and location, so if you need just a place to sleep and don't care about anything else, you can choose it.
As for a service it's truly a torture, the stuff do nothing to help you, they are only smiling and saying, yes, we will help - but no actions are take over to assist clients.
I had always problems with wi-fi, I needed to work from hotel for 4-5h a day, and the fi-wi stops working for 30-40 min every hour, I called them dozen of times - no luck, their IT support guy came once and told me absolutely stupid explanation, that problems is not in their internet, but in my American mac, the interesting thing is that I had the same problems with my Motorola phone and my colleague had it with his Asus. This they can't explain, just were promising to fix it for a week of my staying there.
Moreover, I had permanent troubles with their room service, they always serve me with wrong breakfast, black tea when green was ordered, peach juice instead of orange, or even forget to bring me food when it was ordered, or bring me only part of the ordered meals. And btw they want tips for this. If you don't pay tips then will bring you some receipt and tell you that you must pay for it. They make me mad.
Please, be aware that people on reception desk forget most of what you asked them to do even if they confirm that they can do this.
And also I can't sleep well at all for a week, during the night there were some dogs on the parking barking loudly and in the morning some repairing works start. The stuff can't provide me another room, while the hotel was 80% free when I was staying there.
The climat-control does not work at well.
It was a business trip and the room was prepaid by my company and there can be problematic to change the hotel, so I needed to stay in this place for a week.
It's a pity that such a good place (building location, rooms, inside decoration) have such incapable people working in it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hello Everyone!

My wife and I travelled to Donetsk and were excited to spend a couple of days here as we were on our honeymoon and had to wait for her name change for her Ukrainian national passport as it is law that is it must be completed within 30 days in the Ukraine. We researched a few hotels and compared the new Park Radisson Hotel to this hotel. We were impressed by the staff at the hotel and how clean it was and how nicely appointed the rooms are! After checking in which was swift and effortless we decided to try the restaurant as we were famished.

The restaurant located on the second floor was huge, yet completely empty , except for a single couple located three tables away from where we were eventually seated . The waiter was new yet very helpful, the food was good and the wine list was superb. So here is where it gets interesting. When the bill came and I found out I could not sign it to my room. An absurd experience for any foreign traveller which is illogical at best since the hotel owns the restaurant. I gave them my Visa card to settle the bill and was told it did not work, we tried again and still it did not work. The other couple a few tables away I understood had the same experience according to the waiter. From this point forward my wife and I were treated as criminals as we did not have enough local currency on our persons to settle the bill. We were then escorted by the waiter to a banko-mat (ATM) outside the building to an ATM that was the same bank providing credit card services to their restaurant . No surprise my card did not work here either. We asked if they could charge the bill to our room as we were staying for a few days and my credit card worked fine and had lots of available credit. They said no and I was told I had to be escorted by the waiter to another ATM and that my wife would have to stay in the restaurant until we returned . I blew my lid as ai could not believe what I was hearing and how we were both being treated due to their short comings. I set out on my own in the dark absolutely furious My new wife was being held effectively hostage at 10;15 PM, while I looked for an ATM in the dark in city I did not know with no direction or help. I walked for half a kilometres and found two banks fortunately , Pocci Bank and OPT Bank. My card worked fine with both , no surprise! I withdrew several thousand Hrivnas.

When I returned I went to my room I called the front desk to have my wife return to the room and have the waiter come too and get their money.

My wife was escorted by two people again as if she was some kind of a criminal.

It is important to mention that no one apologized for their system not working, no attempt was made to accommodate our problem due to their banking problems, instead we were made to feel like we were not to be trusted.

My wife and I are not children we are in our 50's, have just come from t Kiev where we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel and are on our way to Yalta.

I am not one to be critical or negative and understand issues arise that are non optimum but this was absolutely a disgusting experience and one that was totally unwarranted.

Needless to say we checked out in the morning!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stolichny is a Hotel of high standards offering very comfortable, nicely decorated and spacious rooms.

+ room standard
+ gym
+ friendly staff
+ good location

- the entrance is hidden on a dodgy back yard
- thin inner walls which made me hear the guest next doors having fun with his "wife" the entire night

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Stolichny? Share your experiences!