“Grumpy staff, VISA machine that doesnt work, faded, dirty, disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel

You added LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel to your Saves list
LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-31 Circular Road | PO Box 15, Entebbe, Uganda (Formerly Windsor Lake Victoria Hotel)   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Entebbe
Oxford, England
“Grumpy staff, VISA machine that doesnt work, faded, dirty, disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel was owned by Gadafi and is still called the Libyan hotel. For that alone maybe if I''d known more I might not have booked here. Stayed here 2 nights. The carpets are dirty. The paint is peeling. The menu for food is English chips and pizza. The breakfast buffet however IS good. The roms were Ok and the beds comfy. There is air con if you want a noisy night. The curtains were hanging off and our winow looked out onto a row of old metal box containers in a row all along one side of the garden so i had no view of anything. The swimming pool complex is clean and the pool and loungers all fine. However, the staff were grumpy and expecting tips all the time. The one serving up breakfast was miserable and took so long to cook 2 fried eggs that we had finished our bacon beofre it was done. Their Visa machine was not working and the cashier had to be persuaded on check in ( at 9.00pm) to let us have our room because I did not have cash for one night deposit!! It is VERY expensive for what is is. . There are better places localy at far less price. You can come in and use their pool for a day rate if you want to lounge for the day. I'd go elsewhere next time

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here- check out the rooms not blocked by derelict box coantainers parked on the law...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I was here just for a weekend, a job meeting, socializing with friends and a visit to the zoo. The rooms are clean, good bed and bathroom and moscito free. The electricity goes off when you leave the room to protect the environs, hence it does'nt charge your gadgets - but the friendly staff easily gives you an extra key card for the switch. The pool is just super, by size, depth and jumps. The beddings and the restaurants are also good. A very good breakfast buffet although the resupply was too lazy. The restaurant andbar service was also a bit slow. Anyway this is my favorite in Entebbe so far, thanks.

• Stayed September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed here on our first night in Uganda before heading off to Ngamba Island to do the chimpanzee caretaker / integration programmes ( reviewed separately- just wonderful ! ). We got a great night's sleep here and found the room and the spacious bathroom to be very clean & comfortable. When we were first shown into our standard room we noticed that the air-conditioning controller was missing. This problem was fixed in 5 minutes, which was impressive service.
Before retiring for the night I went to the upstairs bar for a few drinks and began chatting away with the barman, Moses. He patiently helped me with my efforts to learn a few basic phrases in Lugandan and told me some of the early history of Entebbe. These are the sorts of staff members that can make a short hotel stay a memorable one, so.... WEBALE NNYO Moses.

Room Tip: A good hotel choice if you are flying into Entebbe in the evening as its only 15 mins from airport.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vannes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed 3 nights here before heading out to explore the rest of Uganda and Rwanda for Gorilla and Chimp trekking. I think some travelers might miss out on just how nice this hotel is if they are expecting north American or European standards...cause you won't get that at all here. But you will get a well run hotel, and yes in Africa, I always say that patience is a virtue and yes, you may have to ask multiple times for something at the restaurant, but just sit back, enjoy and go with the flow and be patient and flexible. The rooms have been renovated and are very nice (even by European and N. American standards) and clean. The beds are comfortable (not too hard at all), the shower water is as hot as you'd like it to be and the bathrooms are modern with complete amenities. Toilets flush normally and bathroom and bedroom linens are all of excellent quality. I was in an executive room. When I needed an extra towel, I asked at the reception, and one was brought to my room within 5 minutes, much quicker than I expected. Lots of TV channels from around the world, but honestly who comes to Africa to watch tv? The food is yes, just OK, but definitely edible just not Michelin-star quality, but that shouldn't be expected at a 3-star hotel anyway. Nice variety of food choices on the menu and bar selections is good. The grounds are very pretty though I did not get to use the pool. Wifi is fairly stable, does go out from time to time and sometimes it runs slow, but that could also be due to high volume use on the network. All in all, I liked this hotel and will definitely stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify that you want a NON-smoking room if you're a non-smoker.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Tyre, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

As the other reviewers have noted the hotel grounds are impeccably groomed and private and serene. The pools are beautiful with an open bar/restaurant and plenty of loungers in and out of the sun. We were delighted by the huge tortoises that are cared for in the inner courtyard.
The windows had tightly fitted screens and our room had its own AC. The evening turndown included a chocolate and a quick spray of bug repellent. We were thoughtfully asked by housekeeping if we preferred not to have the bug spray on evenings we were in the room. We were never bothered by a single mosquito throughout our stay.
In general, we found the hotel overpriced. However, one bargain is the massage, 40 minutes for around $15.00 US. The room is completely private and the masseuse professional and sweetly courteous.
The breakfast buffet was OK, but offered little variety from day to day and quickly became monotonous. Dining service was excruciatingly slow, particularly for dinner. If you can, have the buffet. In general the food is mediocre, and nothing really memorable. But do try the tilapia. Also, I suggest you put everything on your room bill rather than pay cash and wait for change. As well, the hotel cashier could only rarely exchange dollars for shillings. So, unless you want to hire a taxi to make a visit to Western Union for shillings, come prepared.
The two gift shops were pricey and didn’t stock any essentials beyond tourist size toothpaste. There are no sidewalks outside the hotel, the roads are confusing and congested, so you’ll likely need a driver once off the hotel grounds.
The staff attitude could be maddeningly noncommittal – a simple question such as “is there a buffet tonight?” was often met with “I don’t know”. But there were some who were so exceptionally friendly and helpful. Our bags were delivered to our room by Joseph who was unfailingly cheerful and eager to help during our entire stay. At the front desk, Esther was another standout. If you need a driver or have free time for sight-seeing, most definitely ask for Edward. For a very reasonable price he guided us in and around Entebbe, Kampala and Jinja. We were touched by Edward’s elegance and generosity of spirit as he shared his knowledge and wisdom about his beautiful but challenged country.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed for 2 weekend a week apart. My initial booking was fine but my credit card was rejected. I called my bank and they said it was a problem with the hotel card payment system as they had already been alerted that I was going to stay there so they would clear any payment that came up, nothing did. Rooms were very clean and well appointed, they even have an evening bed turn down with a small chocolate on the pillow. Internet was really slow though which is strange as Entebbe has a huge fibre capacity for the last couple of years. Drinks in the evening by the pool or on the terrace was nice but sorry to say that the food was shocking. I ordered the sea and lake cocktail. This was described as cubes of fresh shrimp and fish fried on a bed of fresh salad. What I received was frozen shrimps that were still hot from being washed in hot water to thaw them. It was delivered at the exact time as my main, pork chops. The chops were like rubber and I ended up not eating either the cocktail or the chops and ate just the chips. Oh that was after the waiter finally remembered to bring something to eat with. I still enjoyed my stay but in future I would eat somewhere else, I was just that disappointed.

On my return visit the next weekend they forgot to collect me from the airport after I arrived on a 3:30am flight. When I arrived at the hotel they couldnt find my booking for about 10 minutes. Again the rooms are pretty comfortable, good back up power which is a must in Entebbe as the power goes off every 30 mins or so but the food just didnt match the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: My company has a rate with the hotel and on both stays I had a very similar room. All rooms have win...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel has a very good standard of room. It is in a good location in Entebbe and the grounds and swimming pool are wonderful.

The food is not worse than hotels nearby, but a smaller menu and a move away from trying to replicate western fare and a greater concentration on local ingredients would differentiate it. The buffet, for example, is much better than the a la carte menu and is decidedly Ugandan .

What brings this Laico down is its very slow Internet connection which leads me to hesitate to recommend it as a business hotel. Solving this problem would make this hotel an excellent place to stay in Entebbe.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel? Share your experiences!