“Stay away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Horizon Hotel

Horizon Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fethiye
Horizon Hotel
You added Horizon Hotel to your Saves list
Adbi ipekci Caddesi 1, Fethiye 48300, Turkey   |
Ranked #91 of 101 Hotels in Fethiye
Paris
“Stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

Stayed at Hoizon Hotel for one night (and left for another hotel after that night because it was so bad) in October. It cost 55 Australian dollars/Turkish lira for 2 people (including internet in the owner's office and a stale disgusting breakfast) which was a complete rip off. The room was horrible, the shower hardly worked, I'm not sure if the sheets had been washed, there was only one little blanket. Breakfast was supposed to be served at 8 but there was no one around. Eventually the chef was called. This actually gave us a good opportunity to find another more acceptable hotel. Breakfast was some stale bread and other forgettable pieces served on a dirty table.

For the price, this place must be laughing at anyone who stays there. For half what I paid it might have been more acceptable, but otherwise it's shocking.

Stayed October 2007

Business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

We had two rooms booked here. There was no shuttle bus service operating. The rooms had not been cleaned and had recently been smoked in. There was an inch of water on balcony that was not cleared. Service was atrocious from check-in to check-out. We were put in a room where they knew the hot water was not working (the receptionist who checked us in remembered the next morning that hot water wasn't working and we had to shuffle into another room). Pool was out of service. For a basic place to stay its ok, but the recommendation from Lp is not deserved nor was the service up to the usual quality from Turkish hotels.
Be Warned.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

Having spent two weeks traveling around Turkey, Fethiye was our lost stop before flying back home from Dalaman. We had three nights in Fethiye and having read the good reviews about this place in the Lonely Planet guide, I thought we’d email them and book a room.
After four days on a boat cruise from Olympos – Fethiye, we were really looking forward to a nice room in a hotel with amazing views over the harbour and added extras such as the free city shuttle service every hour and the free transfer to/from the bus station (which being up a very steep hill, was a necessity with luggage!)
Due to one thing and another, first night was spent at Ferah Pension with some of the people we’d met on the boat and looking back on it now, I really wish we’d stayed there! But as everyone was moving on after the first night, we thought we’d stick with our reservation and hunt this Horizon Hotel down.
Little did we realize that it was up a VERY steep hill and half an hour later after lugging a very heavy suitcase up the steepest road I’d seen in Turkey, we made it to the hotel. The guy at reception (who I’m guessing was the Ibrahim mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide) didn’t have any record of my email, but gave us a room nonetheless. Yes, it had the stunning views mentioned in the book with balcony etc, but not exactly the cleanest room I’d seen on our travels.
Anyway, problems began on our last night when we’d come back to the hotel (after a lovely dinner in the fish market square which I would definitely recommend) and enquired about the free shuttle service into the city. Seeing as we had not used our “free bus pick up” on the way to the hotel, we thought we could use it now on our way home. Ibrahim denied any knowledge of this “free bus transfer” and pointing this extra out to him in the Lonely Planet guide made no difference. He said the book was out of date and that they did not offer any free shuttle service of any kind. The book was published in April 2007 so definitely not out of date, and after 10 minutes of arguing with him in a very broken German dialect (you speak to him in English and he only responds in German), we decided to get up very early in the morning, and book a taxi instead.
Had we known that the hotel didn’t offer these extras, we would have stayed at the Ferah Pension, as they were very nice to us there, and the breakfasts were certainly heartier than the measly offering they gave us at Horizon (literally one slither of tomato, another of cucumber, a boiled egg and some olives, and considering I don’t like olives, not the best breakfast I’d had in Turkey that’s for sure!)
My advice is do not stay at this hotel - Ibrahim speaks no English whatsoever, and is very unhelpful. The minute you start talking to him in English, he responds in German. The breakfast is terrible and the only good thing that this place has going for it is its amazing view over the harbour.

Stayed October 2007
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

The Horizon Hotel is located right above the harbor, very centrally located in a safe, quiet area. The view is definitely the reason to come to this hotel as the rooms are very average, even a bit worn around the edges. The rooms that directly face the harbor have a complete 180 degree view-I could see the sun come up and then go down from my balcony all with the backdrop of sea and mountains. I could also see the Lycian tombs carved into the hillside, the Roman ampitheater, and people walking below on the seaside promenade. Don't expect anything but the most very basic in the rooms. Mine was good size, I paid 25USD for a single-it had a piece of moulding missing, a loose handle on the shower, etc. but for me the view overode all of that-it is truly spectacular and a good value if you don't mind the fact that the rooms are worn. They are clean and adequate for me, but could use need some maintenance. The man on the desk is a nice fellow. You need to negotiate quite a few steps if you want to take the most direct route down the hill, otherwise there are a couple of routes through neighborhood streets. The police station is below the hotel and the area has a nice quiet feel to it. The time that I was there the hotel was quiet and peaceful. I enjoyed my 4 nights at the Horizon and would return. The whole panorama unfolds before your eyes from the Horizon, just don't look too close at the room and you'll enjoy it, too.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Does need some maintenance
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NSW
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

My wife and I booked this hotel because it was the accommodation used in Fethiye by Fez Travel, whose 'Hop on Hop off' bus we were using to travel around Turkey. We also noted that Lonely Planet rated it a mid range hotel which "easily steals the best views in Fethiye crown" with new management who had ambitious plans and were offering many "extras".

Of the 11 hotels/pensions we stayed in during our 30 days in Turkey this was easily the worst - our three nights there were hell. We thought we might be in trouble on arrival when we found the hotel foyer completely taken up with back packs and other baggage. Nevertheless we checked into our room, and the view was specacular - that much was true. The room itself was a reasonable size, as was the bathroom. However all the grouting in the shower recess up to about waist level was almost black - disgusting. But we thought we could live with that by making sure we wore thongs and not touching the walls.

Early on our first evening the owners of the luggage we had seen in the foyer arrived back from sightseeing - they were a group of young people aged from late teens to late 20s (we were told from Israel). The hotel was bedlam after that - a bunch of footballers on end of season holiday couldn't have behaved any worse - running from room to room, slamming doors, calling out to each other, etc with total disregard for anybody else staying at the hotel. This went on until early into the next morning. I went looking for the on-duty manager but he/she was nowhere to be found - the office door was shut so he/she was probably hiding in there. We should have left next day but we felt management would surely correct the problem. They didn't, and our second night was similar to the first. We would have left at that point but we were booked on a tour (which was made less enjoyable due to lack of sleep) and we were told the group was leaving that day. At last, we thought, we'll get a decent sleep on our third night. Wrong. Another group of young people arrived and although there was less yelling and door slamming they decided that a party in the hotel pool at 3.00am was appropriate. Again, no action from management.

Thankful that our stay was over we arranged a taxi to get to the bus station. Why not use the hotel's shuttle bus to get to the station you may ask? Simply because there wasn't any such service, despite the indication in Lonely Planet that there was, and surprising in light of the hotel's relative isolation. The shortest way to get to the hotel from town was to climb the 130 plus steps in front of the hotel. This was a real bender given the steepness of the climb, the fact that some steps were in disrepair, and the 40 degree heat. The other way to get to the hotel from town was to use the road behind the hotel, about a kilometre and a half. You have to walk at least about half the distance (or call a taxi) until you reach the main road whereupon a dolmus will take you the rest of the way.

There was free internet as promised. However whilst I was using it the computer suddenly shut down. When it re-started I was asked for logon details. I asked one of the employees for help and he simply shrugged his shoulders and left.

Breakfast (included in hotel price) was very average - served buffet style but minimal variety. No fruit, not even watermelon which nearly every other hotel we stayed at in Turkey provided. We purposely didn't eat any other meal at the hotel so I cannot comment on the quality of other meals.

The hotel has a small pool but unless you are happy sharing it with a group of young people 'bombing', splashing water over each other, wrestling, etc you won't want to use it.

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the view (but you can enjoy the view by having a drink in the terrace bar, or just from the road behind the hotel). The hotel apparently welcomes groups with open arms and does nothing to manage their behaviour. Service is second rate (our room was only serviced on our third day there) and quality of the room left a lot to be desired. There is no shuttle bus to town (or to or from the otogar).

Stay away from this one - let the groups have it!

• Liked — Only the view
  • Disliked — Everything else - isolation, service, room quality, food quality.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!