“Horrifying service, and they tried to force me to sleep on the roof!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ideal Pension Hostel

You added Ideal Pension Hostel to your Saves list
Ideal Pension Hostel
Karagozler Mah. Zafer Cad. No:6 Fethiye Merkez, Fethiye 48300, Turkey   |
Ranked #56 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Fethiye
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Horrifying service, and they tried to force me to sleep on the roof!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This place is an absolute sh**hole. Turkey has really impressed me with it's accommodation, except for here.

The service in particular was terrible - it's peak season and the not one of the many people running it spoke one word of English. Most hotels / hostels can say a few words, at least. I was trying to communicate for a full 3 minutes that I wanted to find a bathroom and the guy just kept shrugging, until another guest showed me and rolled her eyes, saying 'they're hopeless here'.

I managed to get through to him that I'd like a map, and he just laughed and was like 'ah, no, no map'. Since I can't ask him for advice, and they're isn't any map, how am I supposed to do anything?!

I ended up asking the friendly people at the corner store how to get to the beach.

I didn't think the location was anything special - you have to catch a bus to get there from the station, and a second bus to get to the beach.

To make matters worse, they tried to make me sleep on the open rooftop. The rooftop has a few ratty couches, and apparently this is where they put single travellers who reserve a dorm. I wonder if the hotel even has a dorm room.

It was such a scam, I had made a booking online weeks prior to my stay, I can't sleep in open air spaces because I get a crazy allergic reaction to mosquito bites, and it was 40 degrees. The guy shoved me on the phone with someone who could speak English, and was like 'no more dorm sorry but sleep on the roof, very comfortable make good price'. It took some arguing but I insisted and they finally gave in and put me in a double room with a random guy - who was friendly enough, but there is a reason why dorms generally start at 4 people to a room.

The room was hot (not as bad as the roof) and there was at least a weak fan. The bathroom stunk of mold and left the whole room foul after a short, lukewarm shower.

Hospitality in Turkey is so wonderful, don't waste your time or money at this place.

Room Tip: Don't let them force you to sleep on the rooftop if you reserved a real, indoor bed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Very conveniently located to the town centre of Fethiye. Nice, clean and bright rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast included into price. Would ideally suit groups and solo travellers. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We arrived late evening and was quite tired. This was good enough for a good sleep and breakfast. We could find better places to stay but pre booked this and did not have energy to worry. It is budget accommodation and for that reason this is adequate.

• Stayed June 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Spent one of my last nights in Turkey here at Ideal Pension. Great location and Sonny the owner was really welcoming and an awesome host. Facilities were great too. Just look at those views of the sunset from the terrace built by Sonny himself! I hope people remember that this is a hostel when they're writing their reviews. Overall I loved it!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Ideal Pension was booked using Booking.com. It's easy to find, in a very convenient location. Great access to the waterfront, beautiful scenic bays accessible on boat trips or push biking, restaurants... However the staff don't speak English and had to contact the manager by phone about our reservation. We were there for 3 nights and we had to move rooms- unsure why, but it seems that someone else's booking took priority. We were initially moved to a gloomy room without a view but after making it clear we were unhappy (itranslate is a great app!) we were moved to an upstairsl room at the front which was tiny but better that the first room!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a view. All rooms are tiny except the triple rooms and they don...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This hostel is horrible. It isn't just dirty it is filthy. The common room is on the 3rd floor and the guys who work here just sit around smoking. No one speaks English. The first room they showed me smelled so strongly of mold I couldn't walk in. I ended up with a 3 bed-dorm room to myself. The beds were super uncomfortable, the bathroom didn't have toilet paper and I wasn't even given a towel. My MacAir couldn't find the wifi signal either. I left first thing the next morning. It's in a good location and the common room has a fantastic view.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our private twin room was extremely small and the private bathroom while it looked like it had been recently renovated, had no shower door so water went all over the bathroom floor. Shower water never got fully warm and smelled of sulphur.
Staff were friendly. View from the top was nice although the upper common room was dirty. Wifi only in the common room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ideal Pension Hostel? Share your experiences!