“unfriendly” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 102 Hotels in Fethiye
Mansfield, England, United Kingdom
“unfriendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

stayed in hisonaru 5 times in different hotels . love the place because of the lovely friendly people. so was really disappointed with destan hotel . was made to feel un comfortable. staff didn't make no effort to make us feel welcome. will not be returning and should've booked carmina its cheaper and the staff are lovely... destan needs to sort this out because there's far too many choices of friendly hotels. why would anyone return to grumpy staff...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

stayed here with my friend, for 10 days and really enjoyed myself. great location, right near the nightlife which was great for us but far away enough so that you dont hear the noise in your hotel. bathroom and room were nice and clean and cleaned regularly, nice reception area and pool and bar. friendly staff. will stay again :) beds a little bit hard but thats the only fault.

Catterick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I do not put pen to paper lightly, nor with a trivial purpose. I do not consider my self a harsh critique or an expert on world travel, but I review as I find and this is my finding of Hotel Destan:-

Location = The hotel is situated in a lovely part of Turkey, at the foothills of Hisaronu, Fethiye and near the beach resort of Olu Deniz and Blue Lagoon.

Set in its own grounds of neatly kept gardens, boasts 3 very clean swimming pools, sun bathing areas, restaurant and outside bar. All very nice.

Check-in = Swift and friendly

Room allocation = Room 207 allocated and the following points noted:-

1. Bathroom very small

2. Black mould along the top of the shower tray, that would appear to have been breeding for some considerable time. Lack of cleaning.

3. Double bed had only 4 to 6 inches of room from adjacent wall, making it impossible to negotiate getting into it.

4. Refrigerator housed in a white melamine chip board cabinet, that had the cabinet door damaged and stood next to it on the floor.

5. No hospitality facilities. i.e Tea, Coffee etc.

6. No guest information

7. TV mounted on wall was not able to be viewed unless you had a 90 degrees neck

8. Balcony just big enough for two medium sized people sat shoulder to shoulder on wooden garden chairs. No table. Looked out onto rear of hotel washing lines of hotel laundry, bedding, towels and peoples clothing.

9. No air conditioning unless you paid for it.

10 .Breakfast consisted of cheap catering instant coffee, cornflakes, melon, bread, cheese, hard boiled eggs, round slices of spam and dried fruit. Basic is an understatement.

11, The room was cleaned on an as and when basis, when the cleaners felt like it after smoking in their staff room. The room was not cleaned every day.

12. Sleep quality poor. The bed was so hard it caused pain to the back. A bed of nails would be more comfortable.

13. Room furniture was unappealing, cheap and nasty white melamine chip board.

14. Only one chair in the room.

However, the above are negative points and do not do the hotel justice, as it otherwise could be a nice hotel with upgrade. The bar was good and nice food was served throughout the day.

Relaxing away from the revellers and noise of the bars and restaurants, that are within the centre of town.

To sum up, apart from the negatives, my wife and I had an enjoyable stay without incident, but would not go again or stay at the Hotel Destan.

The price paid reflected the basic facilities and accommodation.

Room Tip: Careful choice is recommended. Rear rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely looking hotel with beautiful views and lovely rooms, it had a lovely quiet atmosphere too ! But the hotel felt like it needed some TLC from its owners and staff, they seemed to focus on the bar at the front too much ! Seemed like the actual hotel had been forgotten! Also, the breakfast could of been better..we didn't think it was good value for money! Could be a great hotel if they didn't just focus on that one area.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

First off, I haven't written a long review in a while but its needed here. Regardless of whatever Management want to respond with, they can't argue any of the facts I am going to put below. This hotel is horrendous. I spoke with people who stayed in June who said they really cared about their guests and now it was coming to the end of season they couldn't care less.

*Note, please if you booked and you paid for air conditioning make sure you have it on a voucher and make them give it you, without it they kick and scream and try and get £35 off you for the week. Safe is £2 a day for info.

Ok, so we arrived late on saturday night after having a nightmare with the transfer, we were greeted by one man leaving the reception area and a man sitting behind the desk glaring at us like we'd wronged him in a previous life. Travelling with my wife and little baby I asked if they could possibly provide us with a quieter room away from the bar to help him sleep at nights, the response was 'I'll have a look mate, *3 seconds pass and a key gets slammed on the desk* right come on mate lets go mate'. We were then walked to our room that was facing the bar that had blurring music!! I know what you're thinking, there may not have been available rooms but there were, the hotel was half empty!! When we got to room the guy couldn't sort the room key into the electronic system. Being very tired and stressed and having a baby that was 5 hours passed his bed time it would have been easier to just give us another room. NO!! He made us wait 10 minutes while he repeatedly slammed the card into the reader until it eventually worked.

Day one - We went down to breakfast at 9:30 (breakfast is 8-10) and guess what (see pictures) NOTHING!!... When asked why there was nothing, the guy responded 'it's because people have more than one service', it's a buffet breakfast, use a few braincells!! We went hungry and had to go out and spend more money on food. Nobody even attempted to clean the room. The hotel had introduced a new swing facility, please be careful when allowing your child to play on this as you'd expect they'd have safety pre-cautions, they don't. My child fell off and burst his lip and caused bruising to his knees and arms. Good start to the holiday.

Day two - Once again, no breakfast, we accepted at this point that this was the norm and went out to eat again. There wasn't enough water for a cup of tea and when one guy was going to bring a new drum, a senior member of staff waved him away and told him to put it down. We ran away to the beach this day thank god. That night when we came back after having dinner, I had to go to reception to ask them to turn the music down at the bar, guess how many people were in the bar other than the barman?.... Correct, none!

Day three - There was a raised metal divider in our room between carpet and hard floor that was raised which went un-noticed by myself and my wife. My little boy caught himself on it and cut his toe!! Went for a cup of tea and got one this time, NO breakfast again. We stayed by the pool that day, around 2pm my little boy went for a nap and the maid actually came to clean the room. I asked if she could come back later and she agreed. We never saw her again.

Day four - We overslept so we missed breakfast this morning, not like we missed anything from other couples complaining about it later. We noticed today when actually getting in the pool that it's filthy. That then brought up the question if anyone had seen anyone attempt to clean it?.. Everyone looked at each other bemused as they hadn't. There were cups, bottles, half eaten food and insects everywhere. Disgraceful.

Day five - Managed to actually get breakfast this morning at 9:30!! Massively surprised even if it was only a couple of boiled eggs. Once again nobody cleaned our room. Practically a full week now without being cleaned however someone did come in to give us clean towels?... The hell. We spent another day around the dirty pool because our little boy didn't want to go to the beach.

Day six - Managed another couple of eggs this morning, it wasn't enjoyable around the pool as the hotel was offering a hostess' daughter a birthday party so all PAYING guests got moved completely away from one end of the pool area to allow for this to happen. The place was a state when the party had concluded and you guessed it... Nobody cleaned anything!! We had cake left, piles of plates with half drunk drinks.

Day seven - we went down to the pool to find all the food from the previous day still there, there was now an invasion of insects. There was smashed glass still on the floor, not good when there are paying guests with children. When a woman complained they finally sent someone up to clean it, they took my drink. When I went down to the bar to tell them to replace it, they tried to make me pay. Lets say the barman wasn't feeling up to taking it off me. The day was then just filled with complaints from other stayers...

On leaving day we ordered food, I ordered a breakfast which is dearer than any other bar around so I thought it'd be good, it wasn't. The bar knew they had no sausages, when questioned why I was asked to pay full price they said they give me more bacon. They didn't and knocked off 1TL which is about 33p. I couldn't unrecommend this further. I'd warn anyone with kids not to bother. Stay up the road at the Monte Verde, it's an amazing hotel with friendly staff, clean rooms and amazing service.

Thanks, for taking the time to read my review.

Bottom line, the hotel is a tip. The staff don't care. The staff are in some cases incompetent and useless. I won't be staying here ever again.

Oh one last thing, they have NO entertainment also, children have no activities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hotel is in a great rooms clean and a good size, my only complaint would be the cleanliness off the large pool, had to complain twice but they did then go and clean around. This wouldn't put me off staying again. Listen out for the cockerel!!!! had a great holiday

Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

All the staff were very helpful and friendly, accommodation was clean and comfortable. We had a wonderful stay. The pools were excellent and plenty of sun beds. Got a bit noisy at night as quite close to town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Been to Hotel Destan? Share your experiences!