We visited this restaurant for lunch and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor we were really looking forward to it. It turned out to be a BIG mistake so don't be taken in as we were - all that glitters is not gold and we were left astounded that this restaurant is rated so highly by so many.
It wasn't all bad so lets cover the more positive aspects first;
- The staff were very friendly & welcoming but the service wasn't fantastic. The owners son and the waitress were OK but spent roughly the same amount of time trying to pull in in the next customer as they did looking after us.
- The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. My Bream was delicious & cooked to perfection but the Calamari was just OK, the sauce served with the Prawns was a bit overpowering, and the side salad was ordinary. On balance, I’d rate the food as average and certainly not as good as any of the other places we ate during our visit to Fethiye.
Now on to the more negative aspects and I urge you to read on;
- The picture on the website is very flattering and makes the restaurant seems quite large. The place is small & situated on the corner of the vegetable market. In the flesh, it doesn’t look very appealing.
- The prices were expensive and we felt a little ripped off. The owner’s son took us to a specific fish-monger to choose our fish rather than offer us the opportunity to look round. We were charged 90TL (over £30) for a Bream, 12 Tiger Prawns, and a small packet of squid. The total bill (including drinks) came to over £45 and was our most expensive meal during the holiday by far. Some reviewers have commented on how reasonable they felt the prices were so I suspect Oztoklu might have a very flexible pricing policy – how else could anyone explain what we were charged and what other reviewers have been charged??
- The restaurant is situated in an area which isn’t very clean or hygienic. On the corner (not more than 10 yards from where we sat) a small dog was chained to a sign. There was dog faeces on the floor and some of it had clearly been there for quite a long time because it had become very dry, powdery, and bits of it were blowing across the floor on the breeze! Bear in mind this is in the middle of a market where they're selling produce and serving food!! Unfortunately, we didn't notice this until we'd almost finished our meal - as soon as we did, we left what remained of our food / drinks and paid the bill.
This review is the absolute truth and hasn’t been embroidered or exaggerated in any way. If you have any reason to doubt me, check out my other reviews – you’ll see that the vast majority of them are positive.
We will return to Fethiye one day but certainly NEVER to this restaurant. Trip Adviser is all about opinions & If you want my opinion, do yourself a favour by giving Oztoklu a very wide berth. There are plenty of other places we visited where we enjoyed better food, better service, and better value for money where it's clean and hygienic.
If you want the 'authentic' experience of eating in the market, there are plenty of alternatives in the Fish Market itself. They all offered to take us round the market to choose our own fish. I wish we’d done this rather than opting for Oztoklu.
If you own or manage Oztoklu Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.