“Lovely hosts with afternoon tea and delicious breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Altamont Old Stone House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Altamont
Altamont Old Stone House Inn
You added Altamont Old Stone House Inn to your Saves list
1160 Berne Altamont Road, Rt. 156, Altamont, NY 12009   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Altamont B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Bolton, Connecticut
“Lovely hosts with afternoon tea and delicious breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very helpful hosts who put out some hot water for tea upon our arrival during a very brisk and chilly April weekend. They provided great dinner and shopping recommendations, and were able to accommodate my gluten free needs at breakfast. Our room was understated yet elegant with a comfy mattress and nice sitting room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at the inn for two nights and highly recommend it! The food and hospitality were great and the owners were gracious and engaging!! Recommendations for local restaurants and site seeing was also terrific!! A must stay for anyone visiting the area!
We can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013
New Windsor, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is our third time staying at the Inn. Each time we go, we get more than we expect and this time was no different.

The room we stayed in was beautiful, the bed more comfortable than my own at home and we had this beautiful lounge that my husband lived in every moment we were in the room. We woke to birds singing each morning and sipped coffee on the porch with the morning sun warming us, The Innkeepers, Nancy and Bill, were a pleasure to talk with and we got a chance to learn a lot about the house this visit.

I want to emphasize the Breakfast part of this bed and breakfast, Nancy and Bill are excellent cooks, the menu is diverse, the foods all organic and prepared to be both beautiful and scrumptious. Nancy makes a great pot of coffee, fresh juices, and we munched on fresh sliced fruit while our meals were prepared. We dined in a room from the 1700's with a candle-lit chandelier overhead, while we overlooked the morning activity on the meadow (bunnies hopping around and deer poking around).

During one of our conversations with the owners, we were pleasantly surprised by Bill's knowledge of wines (he owns a shop in Altamont, so if you like wine, go visit the shop). We also had a chance to eat dinner at a new restaurant called Mio Vino, it is worth a visit but make sure you make reservations.

My visit this time was for attending my nephew's wedding in Troy, but I think the next time I go will be an Executive "off-site". My team would love to get out of the stuffy conference rooms and into a nice relaxing setting for our meeting. With Albany airport and Southwest flights, I think I have all the makings for a fun off-site that my team won't complain about!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the fireplace and comfy chase lounge. It's beautiful, most private (altho...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Baldwinsville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Wonderful stay, very charming Inn. Stayed in the Beatrice. The room was small but comfy, clean, quiet & light filled. Delicious breakfast and enjoyable conversation. Highly recommend a stay at the Altamont Old Stone House Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I traveled to Albany County, NY for a retreat weekend, and happened to find the Altamont Old Stone House on Google Maps as I searched for local accommodations. Nancy the innkeeper responded promptly to my e-mail request for information, and shortly thereafter I made the reservation, also via e-mail.

The "stone house" was built in 1793 -- the innkeepers stay in the stone house-portion of the inn, while the guest rooms are in a beautiful two-story wooden addition to the main house (the guest dining room, which is in the stone house portion, features a gorgeous stone fire place and exposed wooden beams across the ceiling). This all makes for a beautiful, historic-feeling atmosphere that feels like home.

I arrived a couple hours past the requested check-in time due to both traffic and bad weather. Even though the Albany area had received quite a bit of snow, the long driveway and parking area were perfectly plowed, and the walk up to the guest house was shoveled (an important point that I really appreciated). I had e-mailed Nancy early to tell her I was running late, and when I arrived, her husband Bill handled my check-in. A warm, friendly face was appreciated after a very long car ride.

I stayed in the Beatrice room, which was quite comfortable, with a cozy full-sized bed and the right amount of sheets and blankets (considering the winter weather outdoors, the down comforter on the bed was perfect). The room was just the right size for this solo traveler, with a television, a spacious private bath, wi-fi and a separate thermostat just for the Beatrice room. All in all, the accommodations were great.

Breakfast was excellent -- ample coffee and juice, and then I ordered a bowl of fresh fruit, poached eggs (garnished with fresh chives -- a nice touch) on an English muffin and yogurt with granola. The coffee service is available an hour before breakfast, which, like most B&Bs, is served at a specific time. If you can't make the breakfast hours, let them know the night before and they can have something ready for you to take the next morning.

Everything about the inn was very clean and comfortable. Unlike some inns where I've stayed, the innkeepers here are non-intrusive, yet available at a moment's notice via a bell on the main floor of the house.

I whole-heartedly recommend the Altamont Old Stone Inn, and will stay there again the next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Check the Web site or ask about the bathroom for each room, as each is different -- some only have s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Leonia, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this lovely B&B because it was within a mile of our family's home upstate New York where we were visiting for Thanksgiving. WHAT A GREAT FIND! The property is fantastic - especially the long, bucolic drive up to the home. The home is very welcoming. Our room was so cozy and comfortable - the bed was delicious and we had plenty of space to spread out. We had delays arriving and had to leave a day earlier than expected. The proprietors were so nice - they did not charge us the second night even though they had every right to because it was a last minute decision. Everyone was very friendly and warm. Highly recommended - warm, pleasant, welcoming environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful B&B for eight days over the recent Christmas holiday, having traveled from Minneapolis. This was my third visit, the others occurring 5 and 6 years ago with my elderly mother. The accomodations, food and service during each stay have been perfect. This is a very old home with a fascinating history - and Bill and Nancy, the innkeepers, describe its history with delight. Their renovations have made it the beautiful B&B that it is today. The rooms are immaculate, comfortable and beautifully decorated; the beds are extremely comfortable with crisp linens and comforters; the breakfasts are carefully prepared and delicious and during my stay, I was able to enjoy all six of the choices! I met other guests, from NYC and beyond, and we chatted and shared the enjoyment of our stay. If you have an occasion to visit this area, just on the outskirts of Albany, don't hesitate to book room(s) in this B&B! Bill and Nancy take their work very seriously and they will make your stay very comfortable! You can't go wrong!

Room Tip: As a single traveler, the Beatrice room was perfect for me. However, I looked at all of the rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Nancy T, Owner at Altamont Old Stone House Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Judy, thank you so much for the wonderful words. Hope you had a safe trip home, looking forward to your next visit. Nancy

Been to Altamont Old Stone House Inn? Share your experiences!