“The Best Meal of My Life” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yengec Restaurant

Yengec Restaurant
Ataturk Cad. 314/A 1 | Kordon Alsancak, Alsancak Vapur iskelesi Karsisi, Izmir, Turkey
+90 232 464 5757
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 2,148 Restaurants in Izmir
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Santa Barbara, California, United States
“The Best Meal of My Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the best restaurant I have ever been to in my life. I have lived in Peru (the food capital of Latin America), France (the food capital of Western Europe) and California (where all the best food is imported to) and traveled to Spain, The UK, Japan, Germany, Mexico, Ecuador, and Guatemala but Yengec surpasses all the restaurants I have ever been to anywhere. I live in Santa Barbara California but came to Izmir recently on holiday with my family. I chose to come to Yengec for my birthday based on the tripadvisor ratings. Boy was I amazed. The owner himself came out and welcomed my family and I to the restaurant. He then proceeded to show us his fine fish collection behind glass and we were able to choose any fresh fish we wanted. We were then seated and enjoyed a beautiful view of the Mediterranean sea. I thanked him graciously and told him it was my birthday. Wow was I given the royal treatment. Throughout the night as we were served our dishes he gave me gifts including a free bottle of white wine in a steel bucket with ice, two giant king crab in a beautiful wooden box and shellfish hors d'oeuvres! At the end of our meal he sat down with us and we had a great personal conversation with him. He even offered to give us free Turkish tea but we had to leave due to our schedule. No trip to Izmir is complete without savoring the delectable delights of Yengec. Your tummy will be singing after this wonderful experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Izmir, Turkey
“yengec restaurant an town urla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

the atmosfhere and the starters are delicious. good service, resonable prices.owner is verry attendant.

Visited August 2013
Samos, Greece
“gread tıme good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

ı had a gread tıme ın yengeç restaurant.the service was werry good.werry nıce and fresh fısh.and good choıce for the sea food salad.realy loved.nıce vıev.staff werry frıendly.hıgly recommended

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Bad restaurant, completly overprized”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I cannot understand why this restaurant got so good reviews. Not only that the food is very average ( no taste, fish came with no spicies at all). Poor meze! The only tasty thing that we ordered was a salad, but in general green salads are tasty in Turkey. The first wine bootle that we ordered was undrinkable. They exchanged us the wine to an other one, wich at least we could drink. And than the price: 285 turkish Lira for meze for two and the fish as mean dish and one bottle of wine ( no dessert ). Stay away from this place!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cupertino, California, United States
“Outstanding evening at Yengec”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had a great time at Yengec. The restaurant is right across the Aegean sea on the main Izmir promenade, Kordon, as such the view is fantastic. The service is very well coordinated, with the mezes and the main arriving pretty much on queue .

We ordered the Barbun, a few salad dishes, and a few plates of stuffed mussels , along with one major catch of the day Fish to share. About 5-10 minutes after giving our order, the owner came out apologetically and said that we had selected the wrong fish. He actually made some suggestions so that we could end up enjoying more dishes and having a lower bill !!!

The fish itself was very good, as well as all the Mezes and the Barbun. Of course to wash it all down a small bottle of Raki was quite good to go with it :)

In terms of the Bill, the final Bill was pretty much what we expected. Quite reasonable for two people, and actually lowered by some smart optimizations on dish selection .

• Visited June 2013