“A fairytale wedding location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fontainebleau Inn

Fontainebleau Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alpine
Fontainebleau Inn
You added Fontainebleau Inn to your Saves list
2800 State Route 228, Alpine, NY 14805   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Alpine B&B and Inns
California
“A fairytale wedding location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My best friend just had her wedding here during the peak of autumn leaves in upstate NY. It couldn't have gone any better. The Inn is hidden away in woods and overlooks Cayuta Lake, which makes for magical scenery and photos. It's also a short drive from the Fingerlakes, gorges, and wineries. The Inn has a large, wooden reception area connected to a stone patio that overlooks the lake and lines the back of the building. The bridal party stayed in the six rooms the night of the wedding and enjoyed a delicious breakfast that the owners prepare the next morning. All of the rooms have different decorations and the bride's room has a lovely prep/sitting area when we were getting ready for the ceremony. Speaking to one of the poor reviews, one of the owners was not necessarily the friendliest, but it didn't keep her from offering exquisite service while we were there. I think it's just her mannerisms. Overall, we had an absolutely amazing experience and I hope to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fontainebleau Inn, in Alpine, NY, is the PERFECT place for a romantic, intimate, exquisitely beautiful wedding. My daughter got married there in July, 2013.
We had the inn to ourselves (including some family and close friends) for the whole weekend. We had the run of the place. We could swim in the lake; take a canoe ride or just lounge on the huge porch or expansive lawn. We had time to relax and prep for the big event. Terri and John and their staff were incredibly supportive, helpful without being intrusive. No need for a wedding planner. Terri helped us find the perfect caterer, DJ, florist…everything. She and John have gone to great lengths to authentically restore the old inn. The bedrooms are charming and so comfortable. The library, dining rm, kitchen, foyers…all spacious and decorated with a classic New England look. The reception hall is amazing. Beautiful beamed ceilings, stunning wood floor, and a huge bar.
I was terrified about finding a place for our destination event (we live in Manhattan).
But the minute we walked into the inn, we knew it was the place. It lived up to our expectations. Actually, it exceeded them.
I used to write for soap operas and had to create many fantasy parties. I wish I’d known about this inn when I was in the biz. I definitely would have used it for a wedding location.

Addie Walsh

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ithaca, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We recently got married at the Fontainebleau Inn. It could not possibly have been a more beautiful wedding, or have gone more smoothly. The setting was absolutely gorgeous with the ceremony taking place on their big sweeping lawn along Lake Cayuta, and the reception taking place in their beautiful rustic banquet hall, and on their covered patio (with a view of the lake) for cocktails and dancing.

We chose the Fontainebleau because of the beautiful location, the reasonable pricing (lined up against all other vendors in the area), and the peace of mind that came with the fact that we could get married outside with a contingency plan of getting married on the patio in case of rain, and knowing that Terri and John would be there on the day of the event making sure everything went smoothly.

They are understandably busy, with many events happening all summer long, but as our event approached and I had a couple questions and concerns to run by them, they were quick to respond, worked with our vendors smoothly and had great questions and adjustments to our wedding day plan (for example, we'd originally asked for too many kegs of beer).

And on top of this, the rooms were clean, quaint and comfortable, the breakfasts were delicious and the bar tab ended up being way below our budget.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband Matt and I had our wedding here back in July and it was nothing but perfect (The guests are still raving about it). It is an absolutely beautiful place. The owners John and Terri make you feel right at home. There are 6 rooms so it has a more intimate feel unlike your chain hotels. If you are looking to have your wedding here you will be nothing but pleased. John and Terri have many connections with amazing vendors and their attention to detail will make any bride/groom less stressed. If you are just looking for a nice little getaway to soak in the beauty of nature and the lovely view of Cayuta Lake you are in for a treat. Lovely people, lovely place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

If I could give 0 stars, I would. I just called the Fontainebleau Inn to inquire about having a wedding there. Terri picked up the phone and was willing to listen to my questions. One of the wedding dates I had chosen were available so I went on to ask more questions.

I asked if she could mail or email me a wedding packet that would go more in depth than the website does. Terri said that everything I need to know is on the website.

Since I would be coming from 5 hours away, I asked if she would be available on 10/13 to show us around the porperty. She said it depends on if there is an event that day and would not know for a while. I asked her if she could call me to confirm or decline the date and she told me that she didn't think she could remember to call me and that I should call her back within a couple of weeks.

Just like I told her, it doesn't sound like it's going to work out. I'm very sorry but if you are getting questions about booking a wedding at your location, that means I want to spend tens of thousands of dollars at your establishment. Do not tell me to call you, you call me.

I need not stay here ever to experience the poor service I received on the phone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Terri V, Owner at Fontainebleau Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We certainly try to provide excellent service at all times, and regret that this caller feels she was poorly served. She wanted to book a meeting to visit the inn on a weekend day seven weeks in the future, but we explained we had an event pending on her required meeting date, so the day’s schedule wasn’t yet determined.

We tour the inn with hundreds of prospective couples each year, and go over the information available on our website, which comprehensively outlines our services and policies. Many couples need to visit our facility on weekends, and we do our best to accommodate their needs, but we are only willing to schedule these meetings when we’re sure it won’t intrude on a couple’s special day. Given the volume of calls we receive, our primary responsibility to our wedding clients, and the changing demands of our weekend schedule, we have concluded we can’t also maintain a list of people who want to schedule meetings but have called too far in advance. We politely suggest that the best course is to call back a few weeks before a proposed meeting date, at which point we will be able to set a specific time. Our experience is people have found this perfectly reasonable.
Stephens City, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this terrific B&B. Located minutes from the sights and activities this region of the Finger Lakes is famous for. However, even without the attractions the Inn itself is a great get-a-way. No crowds, no hustle and bustle. Located on a beautiful and very clean lake with a private dock and well manicured acreage the historic Fountainebleau is an attraction all to itself. John and Terri were wonderful, personable, yet professional and made sure each day got off to a great start with a delicious gourmet breakfast. They are also very knowledgable about the area and provided directions to any place we wanted to go. We give it our highest recommendation possible, which is simply.....we will be back next year!

Joe & Kelly
Stephens City Va

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Up State NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

In fairness, this review does not deal with the resort but rahter the operator.

My family (my wife, the prospective bride and groom, and I) recently spent a weekend in the Seneca Lake region visiting several wedding reception venues with the purpose of booking one for the summer of 2012. Overall it was a good weekend and we visited a number of very nice facilities. One of these facilities was the Fontainebleau Inn located in Alpine, NY which we visited on Saturday, July 9th, 2011. The Inn is owned and operated by Joe and Terri Van Soest. My daughter had spoken with Joe, who was very friendly, to set up an appointment for our visit.
We were greeted by Joe upon arrival and he handed us off to Terri for the tour and discussion about availability, pricing, etc . Terri’s demeanor was very dry and business like, but everyone isn’t warm and friendly – no big deal.
We had prepared for the visit by reading all the information posted on the Inn’s web site. We understood that if booking a Saturday reception we would be required to book all the Inn’s rooms for both Friday and Saturday nights. We would also be expected to meet certain financial guarantees, such as $12.50 per person for bar consumption.
During our meeting we let Terri know that while we have no issue with bar consumption minimum we may not have a full open bar for the entire duration of the ceremony for two reasons: my daughter doesn’t want to be concerned with people drinking too much thus effecting behavior and/or ability to drive safely. Terri’s response was to tell us that she then would only offer us a Sunday event. She explained (coldly) that Saturday is their prime day for such events and the bar is an important source of revenue. “ We like to see a full open bar for the entire duration of a Saturday event.”
Given we were willing to meet their guaranteed minimum as defined in their published policy (meaning I would be paying for product not consumed which is pure profit), I was shocked. As we exited the building at the conclusion of the meeting my daughter was in tears; prior to our visit this facility was her first choice. Our high spirits upon arriving were very quickly impacted. I have to believe this was just our bad luck – there were two appointments for the same day and Joe took the other one.
Thankfully by the end of the weekend we had found a venue we liked better, allowed much greater flexibility and much better suited our needs.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Fontainebleau Inn? Share your experiences!