“scorpions in the hotel room. Selling pressures all the time” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Urgup Inn Cave Hotel

You added Urgup Inn Cave Hotel to your Saves list
Urgup Inn Cave Hotel
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Temenli Mah. Sagir Mescit Sok. No 22, Urgup 50400, Turkey   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 56 Urgup B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brussels, Belgium
“scorpions in the hotel room. Selling pressures all the time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

we were very excited about this hotel at first : breakfast was nice and given on the lovely terrace. We had a triple room on the ground floor and during the day the windows were set wide open. When we were heading for our bed the second night, I had a terrible scorpion bite in my little toe, in the hotel room. this was very alarming, painful and I was in great panic. Omer, the boss, helped me to the hospital,which was nearby, very fortunately! there i got 3 injections. Omer gave us another room at the second floor and
we were invited by omer to join a dinner with his good friend. He also treated us with a derwish show in a neighbouring village, this was 10 euro per person and he wanted to pay this for both of us. This was a very charming and nice gesture for all the misery after the scorpion bite. Until we found out that not only we but all other guests were invited for dinner by his very good, carpet selling friend : when we arrived, we got something to drink between heaps of carpets and afterward we were led to a room with a table full of carpets, even the chair we were sitting on was covered with a large carpet. The next day Omer had arranged a meeting for us with this carpet friend behind our backs : we had to go to this shop again to drink a cup of tea ...and buy carpets. We refused to do this, I was very disappointed by his behavior. Not once did he ask about the scorpion bite. He did try to replace the free derwish show by another one which was much more authentic but we had to pay 20 euro per person for it. I didn't want this either and he was very annoyed by it. It became very clear that everything was very much focused on selling things and lead us to friends and companies for commissions. I remembered suddenly the first day : his servant Durian, practically obliged us to see the video on hot air ballooning ( Sultan company) afterwards he asked 3 times if we had decided yet to go for it. So a few positive things: nice breakfast, good place to explore Cappadocia from, but the negative feeling overrules: too much pressure for selling and sneaky ways to reach this goal.

Room Tip: watch out for scorpions, go for a room on the second floor watch out for too much selling pressure
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
iremoyku, Owner at Urgup Inn Cave Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
First of all, I would like explain that was not the a scorpion.The Doctor said at least 50 times it is just a small bug bite but the doctor needle hitting allergies pin to Karin who is panic.As she said ,I help to dear Karin De Smul.I was in the hospital.I paid the all treatment charges.They stay at my hotel three more days..They were very happy.I ordered free dinner,free Turkish nights..Free hot air balloon tour for daughter.I did everything but ı did not say that's stay my hotel three more days.They told me that's they like to my hotel very much and they would like to stay at my hotels one more exstra days but ı told them that's I'don't have a rooms for fifth night..
Nevertheless, I'm sorry
Best Regards,
Ömer NAİR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Urgup Inn Cave Hotel was an excellent choice for us. It is a clean and charming place, and Omer was extremely helpful organizing tours and transportation. If you are looking for a place that is close to town for a reasonable price, then I think this is a great choice!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thuwal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel is a compact cosy place with very nice rooms and closely located to the city center. What makes this hotel a level above others not just in the cappadocia region, but you wont get such personal and super special treatment hardly anywhere in the "world". The owner omer and his assistant look after you very well. But the experience that earned this place such esteem in my eyes is the professionalism and hospitality of omer. We messed up our flight connections on our way back. Omer not only got us new flights, hired a car ,took us to the airport ( which is atleast an hour away and gas prices aernt low in turkey), but didnt even charge us a penny for this extra special treatment we got. There was a time when the airline wanted to charge us more for the switch in flights. Omer even arranged for it out of his own pocket. But later things got sorted out and we got the new flights in the same price. In short if you want to be treated as a super VIP, then let these people host you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We booked for two nights at the beginning of our walking holiday, and were so pleased with the courteous service and comfortable 'cafe' room that we stayed there again before we left. Omer, the proprietor was very helpful, advising us well about all sorts of things including where to start walks (we were travelling on our own), where to get local optical services, and how to make the best of Cappodocia.

It's very well located in the town, and the town is an ideal place to take local transport to the amazing valleys and towns in the area. The wifi worked - even in the caves!

Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a lovely small hotel with a pleasant outdoor patio and eating area. Our room was large and comfortable. If you want to stay in a cave room, this is a good place. The only drawback is the cave itself, which tends to be damp and has dim lighting. However, it is very quiet and dark for sleeping, so that is good. The bed was rather lumpy; I asked for an extra comforter and used that on top of the mattress, which made it much softer. The host was very accommodating and definitely tried to make our stay rewarding and comfortable. There is a good Turkish breakfast and several good restaurants are an easy 2 block walk from the hotel. Urgup is much quieter than Goreme, so there isn't a nightlife scene, but it seems much more authentic and less touristy. The owner, Omer, really cares about his guests' comfort.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

When I booked this online, I struck up an email exchange the owner Omer, who proved to be just as friendly and helpful once I met him in person. I got help booking all the tours and activities I wanted, and while the owners might have a vested interest in that I also got help booking transport and accommodation for the rest of my trip.

The place itself is extremely beautiful, with a picturesque courtyard shaded by grape-vines and the rooms themselves done up in local style. Breakfast was fresh and filling, and the location is pretty close to the city-square - it cost me 5 lira to catch a taxi from the bus station, which you might need when you first arrive because the town's layout is complicated and 3-dimensional.

Finally, I saw in another review that another resident felt they'd been overcharged at checkout. To the contrary, Omer asked me to pull up the email with the initial quote, and confirmed every other charge (I paid for tours through him) as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is a wonderful boutique hotel. I would highly reccomend staying here. Duran the manager is extremely attentive and nothing is too much trouble. Omer the owner is also a great host. Breakfast is good traditional Turkish breakfast. The rooms are beautifully laid out, spacious clean and warm. The beds extremely comfortable. I came back to stay in hotel so have experienced 2 of their beautiful cave rooms. Beacause its such a small hotel it feels so personal. There is wifi. Its about 5 min walk into the centre of Urgup.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Urgup Inn Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!