“Top of my list” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Top of my list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Only able to stay 2 nights wish it would have been more. Rooms with everything you could want and very clean but yet had the cozy "bed and breakfast" decor and feeling to them. I had a hard time remembering the rooms were in the rocks/cave. Fine dining or something simple if you wished and well worth the price. Everything from the rooftop view, the perfectly landscaped garden and the close proximity to the downtown shopping and sites makes this hotel an excellent choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed as part of a group. The room was fantastic, lovely decor and a large terrace where we dried our washing. The food was excellent - by the time I waded through the appetisers (usually about 20 - cold buffet style) I had no room for my main. They also did exquisite desserts with one of our group having chocolate blancmange 4 nights. A great stay and highly recommended.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Location in Urgup: Very close to downtown 5 to 10 minutes leisure walk
Staffs are very helpful and friendly.
Garden and patio in front of the room make the stay very homey away from your own home.
Welcome greeting just like your friend welcome you to their house.
Yasin Ozbas/marketing manager is extremely helpful.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in with the patio right in front of your room door and the bedroom is inside the c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Antalya, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 4 days and we really liked it.The architecture of this hotel suits very good with the old area of Capadoccia.The rooms are big,decorated very nice.The bathroom was clean and modern.The staff was always very helpfull,and we felt there as we were home.Breakfast was very good and tasty.The hotel is near the center of the town and there are a lot of traditional restaurants nearby.We reccomend this hotel to all the travellers and in our next trip to Capadoccia we will surely stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here with my son and we each had separate rooms. I reserved two "cave rooms' but they only provided one, I got just a regular room and although they did take the time to show many different rooms available none met my reservation criteria. They provided free transport from the airport and I thought this was a great service but they use it as an opportunity to up-sell the tours that they promote. I did book two days of private tours which were very expensive (around 1200 TL). On the first day we were given a tiny car with no air conditioning in the car. This would not have been so bad if this had been a budget tour or they had provided some big discount, but this was not the case. I complained about this after our tour and was promised a better car the next day (after waiting half an hour to speak to the guy that operated the tours). We did get a bigger car the next day but again no air conditioning. July in Capadocia is quite hot and I would think that they would be used to accommodating Western tastes for air conditioning. In my experiences in Turkey subsequent to this trip, I have come to understand that Turks do not only dislike air conditioning they believe it will make them sick so I know there is a difference in how this is perceived as a necessity. If it had only been this one issue I think I could have given the hotel some leniency for not being responsive to a complaint but in addition the wait staff at breakfast all had an attitude, when the manager did show up - which was not when I had an issue - he would strut around the property announcing to everyone he was the manager - not asking customers how their stay was. Several times when I went to the front desk there was no one in attendance and once when we returned from a tour we waited for ten minutes and finally went around the desk and retrieved our own keys. On check out I tried to let the front desk guy know that I had some issues during my stay and he basically laughed at me. The building itself is beautiful which is the only reason I am giving 3 stars. The restoration was well done, the fittings in the bathroom were all of high quality an it was a cute and comfortable room but I do not think I would ever stay or recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

At a cost of 100 euros we had low expectations of this hotel in a small but charming town in Cappadocia. How wrong we were. We were so enchanted with both the region and this remarkable hotel that we stayed another two days and wished we had more time. Built on the edge of the mountain, some of it's ancient rooms carved out of the luffa cliffs, the hotel sits around a courtyard. Enter the wooden gate and you feel at once the calm and serenity of this place. Service was exceptional. If they forgot to add tea or soap they remedied the situation immediately and with no fuss. They were very helpful arranging transfers to and from the airport as well as excursions far and wide. In addition to the usual balloon ride and fairy chimney excursions we recommend the Iglara valley hike (tho note its closer to 45 minutes than 2 hours and avoid at all costs the restaurants in Belirme).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the unpronounceable (to unilingual North Americans) Selcuklu Evi Hotel in Urgup in September of 2011 on the advice of friends who had stayed there two years previously. We could not have expected anything more and could not have been happier with our stay.

The Selcuklu Evi Cave Hotel is a finely restored Seljuk house. From my limited experience (a typical home handyman type of guy who knows which end of a hammer to hold) the renovations were expertly done and spared no expense. Upkeep since the renovation has obviously been done with very high standards in place because the hotel is quite lovely and an enjoyable place to stay while in Cappadocia. The courtyard of the hotel is postcard worthy.

Our room was quite large by European standards (Urgup is in Asia I realize but our trip had taken us through Italy and Greece) with comfortable bed and bedding, beautiful Turkish carpets, a large bathroom with all current amenities. The hotel is wi-fi equipped for those like myself who just had to log-on and see what was happening in the world. Having said that, travel in the Cappadocia region is a great way to get away from the rest of the world and just enjoy.

The hotel is close to a few good restaurants and is only a 10 – 15 minute walk into the town for more exploring and dining opportunities. The town is downhill so the walk back up to the hotel after a large meal in the village might take a few more minutes. Should you wish to stay at the hotel for dinner the restaurant there is very good, offers many local foods and is certainly worth trying out. We took this opportunity to meet other travelers from around the globe.

There is also a winery right around the corner from the hotel should you feel like sampling local vintages.

We always look for cleanliness and value for money when staying in hotels anywhere. Selcuklu Evi is spotlessly clean inside and out and is good value. The last item I must mention are the people: our hosts Halil and Brigitte were most accommodating and welcoming and helped us make tour arrangements that were also top notch and worth every dime (or Turkish lira). The staff were professional yet warm people who we enjoyed getting to know a little bit during our stay and whom I wish we had more time to spend with.

I would highly recommend Selcuklu Evi Hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Selcuklu Evi? Share your experiences!