“Outstanding Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boulder, Colorado
“Outstanding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed four nights at the Arch Palace Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have stayed in a huge variety of hotels and hostels worldwide, ranging from the best international 5 star hotels to US 2.50 hostels with faulty electric showers. I can say without a doubt that the Arch Palace will remain a highlight for me. The Arch Palace isn't exactly a palace, and it isn't a cave hotel either, but the owner, Mustafa, is exceptionally warm and willing to go out of his way to make your experience in Cappadocia outstanding. If you are looking for 5 stars, neither Göreme nor the Arch Palace are probably the place for you, but if you are looking to experience Cappadocia both as a tourist and a culturally inquisitive person, then I highly recommend the Arch Palace.

I traveled alone in December and since it was the (very) low season I was the only one staying at the time. In spite of this, Mustafa was there to greet me, had listened to my preferences after a very prompt e-mail exchange, and had a wonderful set of suggestions that matched my needs perfectly. I felt that he and his staff really looked out for me, and found the perfect balance between making sure I was okay hiking alone and that I got back to the hotel every night safely and respecting my privacy and independence at the same time. In spite of the cold weather in December Cappadocia was lovely and the heat at the Arch Palace was a welcome relief from the cold (reading reviews about damp, heatless cave hotels was one of my reasons for choosing it), and the views from the terrace were lovely, in spite of the snow.

On the whole, however, the highlight of my experience in Cappadocia was a simple thing that will remain with me forever; Mustafa and his friends hike in the winter when the season is slow and they invited me along. We found figs, walnuts and almonds on the trees, found a stone beehive and walked through some beautiful valleys; but we hiked as friends, not as guide and customer. While I know that the other seasons are too bust to accommodate this, I think it is representative of the experience you will have staying at the Arch Palace; Mustafa really went out of his way to help me and in doing so made me love Göreme and Cappadocia that much more... and it is an absolutely incredible place to begin with.

The hotel itself is totally decent; good beds, good bathroom with a fantastic shower head & travertine, and most importantly in Dec., they were not stingy on heat! The breakfast was typical for Turkey and the service was great.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mosque side may be a bit louder during the call to prayer, but that may just be my imag...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I can't really add anything to all the great reviews. We booked this hotel based on the reviews and everything met our expectations and more. Mustafa answered all my emails promptly and was incredibly helpful and thoughtful. He booked tours for us, gave us advice and maps about walks, drove us to the Whirling dirvishes performace, and was a great host to chat to about the local area over breakfast. The room was clean and very comfortable, breakfast was generous and good coffee, and the outside terrace has great views over Goreme and the fairy chimneys. Would definitely stay here again as a great base for exploring Capadoccia.

Pacific NW (USA)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Arch Palace and its owner/innkeeper, Mustafa Yelkalan, have been well reviewed on this site: the reports are accurate and the praise and appreciation rendered are well warranted. We have traveled the world extensively for 4 decades, but until earlier this autumn had not been to Turkey. That was rectified by a terrific one-month trek about the country in October-November. Turkey is a delight for first-time visitors there, and Mustafa was far-and-away the premier host that we encountered on the trip. In fact, I can think of only a small handful of inn keepers that I have experience anywhere in the world that match the efforts he puts out for his guests. He is the fount of knowledge about Cappadocia and Goreme - how to see what you want to see in the way in which you wish, and then toiling selflessly and ceaselesly, and tolerating zero impediments to make sure you enjoy yourself. He likes what he is doing, loves the area (he is from Cappadocia), knows everyone, understands the importance of his guests' resources (mostly time and money) and, in our case, he went WAY out of his way to be sure that we had the best possible exposure to and understanding of that magical region. His recommendations, suggestions, introductions, and [rather lavish] outreach to his guests is remarkable. I would stay at the Arches Palace in a flash again, and recommend Mustafa to you without hesitation. If you are going to Cappadocia, want to avoid the usual tourist trails, tramps, and BS, contact him. Stay at his hotel [not flashy or pretencious, but eminently comfortable and very quiet.. Ask him anything. Follow his advice. Let him help you enjoy your visit to this unique region. He has become my new standard as to what to expect of an inn keeper. We were in Goreme for 4 days and knew when we left that we had had "the ultimate Cappadocian experience" All thanks to Mustafa - a veritable Prince in his Palace.

Room Tip: Some have more light than others; tell Mustafa exactly what you want in your room/bath. He'll do...
Bled, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I don't have much to add about the place, multiple 5 star reviews say it all. It's certainly not a 5 star hotel, however it is an excellent deal for the price, clean, comfortable and cousy, and what's perhaps the most important - everything was as expected and arranged prior to our arrival!

Mustafa has arranged everything we needed to do in the area, shuttle from and to the airport, daily trips as-well as rent-a-car. Prices he offers are generally the same as offered by multiple agencies in Goreme, and while some agencies might offer around 10% discounts after some persuasion, we felt all the activites were such a good deal for the money, we were more than happy that Mustafa took care about everything.

BTW - after a couple of days in Capadoccia you will see so many caves, you will be thankfull this hotel has regular, not cave rooms. We certainly were.

Room Tip: We haven't seen all rooms, but I believe front face rooms in the 1st floor are the best.
Montréal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We went there three nights, I would have stayed a month. I’m planning to return to Turkey, mainly to have the taste of the Arch Palace again.

We arrived at the hotel around 11pm after a long day, and Mustafa was there, to welcome us with a friendly attitude that I have not found anywhere else. He took time with us to organise, the best way possible, the few days we had in Cappadocia. After that, he was, and the two other guys working there, fabulous hosts and friends to share and to improve our learning on Turkey and the region.

You can feel that whole hotel is a result of a true passion of a man. Built from Mustapha dedication, you can be sure everything will be done for you to feel at home, to enjoy the region, and to relax by the ways you like.

The decoration, the rooms, the shower and the breakfast were perfect. The restaurants recommended were amazing. But beside that, the true meaning of life is a glass of wine, on the rooftop, beside the sunset, with the always friendly and interesting Mustafa.
That is my way for saying thank you !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul/San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

After arriving at our first hotel in Goreme where we found there to be no heat, we stumbled upon this gem. The rooms were clean, very comfortable and reasonable. The breakfast cafe upstairs boasted a beautiful view and the breakfast served was plentiful and delicious. But what made the stay extra special was the owner, Mustafa, who took us under his wing and made us feel like part of his family. He went way above and beyond and made sure that our every need was taken care of, from arranging tours, guiding us to wonderful trails, driving us around and overall being a wonderful introduction to a beautiful place. He made our stay extra special. I would highly recommend this place!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

If you are looking for a clean, well-lighted place to get a good night's sleep--where you can relax when you return from exploring the wonders of Cappadocia each day--make a reservation at the Arch Palace. Mustafa will take the time to make arrangements for you to enjoy the attractions of his hometown. He is a man of integrity with a warm smile and a great sense of humor. If you did research and have specific goals, he'll help you meet them. If you aren't sure what to do when you come back from the historical sites, you can trust him to make excellent suggestions for dining and entertainment. The hotel is decorated with elegant simplicity and stunning Turkish carpets.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Arch Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!