My husband and I recently returned from the Kelebek Cave Hotel in Cappadocia and I think it's my very favorite hotel in the world for the following reasons:
1. We stayed in three different and very beautiful cave rooms! Check out the website. The manager (Mr. Mert) kindly upgraded us to the gorgeous Pasha sweet with a fruit basket, fireplace and balcony when there was a mix-up with our room and he heard it was our 25th wedding anniversary. The next morning we woke up to a sky full of colorful hot air balloons.
2. The service goes above and beyond warmth and a genuine commitment to meeting the needs of its customers. For example:
-- When a travel agency wanted to charge me for a car rental we cancelled, Mr. Mert drove us to the agency in in his own car and talked the manager into removing the charge completely.
-- Mr. Mert offered to call one of the nicest hotels in Istanbul (Pera Palace) to get us a reduced rate.
-- When we checked out and had a late flight, Mert made us feel very welcome and said we were still his guests even though we had checked out. He invited us to continue to enjoy all of the services.
3. The food is fantastic and breakfasts are included in the price. When we arrived late and hungry after the hotel's restaurant closed the first night, an employee walked us over to a nearby restaurant that was also excellent.
4. When we left, the friendly staff all came out of the office and kindly waved us all off in the taxi.
5. The owner of the hotel regularly invites guests to a free organic breakfast at his farm, which we eagerly welcomed and appreciated. The cave hotel was the owner's family home so we heard lots of great stories about growing up in Cappadocia. He is doing good things for the area.
6. Mert didn't hard sell us on too many activities. There's so much to do in Cappadocia that he was great at suggesting we taking things one day at a time and not sign up for too much right away, unless it needed an advance reservation like a hot air balloon ride. Of course, we enjoyed many wonderful activities (like watching whirling dervishes in a Caravansary) but the timing was relaxing.
I'm delighted to give the Kelebek Cave Hotel in this captivating UNESCO World Heritage site the highest possible recommendation. If you can go, don't miss it!!! Cappadocia plus this hotel was truly a peak experience in life for which I'm deeply grateful.
Thanks Mert & the Kelebek Hotel staff!
- Also Known As:
- Kelebek Hotel Goreme
- Kelebek Special Cave Hotel Goreme, Cappadocia, Turkey
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ever dreamed of staying in a cave-hotel with all mod cons? Well, now's your chance to make those dreams come true with a stay in the gorgeous Kelebek Hotel and Pension.Spacious cave bedrooms with hand-carved furnishings and locally-made fabrics, marble-walled bathrooms and a lovely flower-filled garden with fairy chimneys behind. The new cave Turkish bath and swimming pool are also available to guests! ... more less