“WOW!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Goreme
Oregon
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Kelebek Hotel was everything we like in a hotel - close to town, clean, picturesque, and memorable. From our arrival until our departure we felt welcomed and pampered. We loved the organic breakfast in Hidden Valley and meeting the family who farm there. My wife had a ball on the balloon ride, and we both really enjoyed the tour of the underground city at Direnkuyu. Both were organized through the Kelebek. Even when we had checked out and were waiting for our bus to Konya, our hosts offered us full use of the facilities and even drove us to the bus station. The staff was always attentive but not intrusive. All in all a wonderful stay and experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Flagler Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

It's hard to find anything here to say that has not been said by others about how wonderful Kelebek, the owner, manager and staff are, but I'll try.

My wife and I travel extensively. For our trip to Turkey we decided not to rent a car and run around like crazy trying to see the the whole country. Instead, we chose to go to Cappadocia and sit still in that magical little place and just soak in beauty of it. We also had no idea where to stay. We decided to stay in three of the best reviewed hotels in the area, of which Kelebek in Goreme was one. We liked the reviews on Kelebek so much we decided to stay there first. It was such a fabulous experience we just could not leave. So,we canceled our reservations at our second hotel and spent another two days at Kelebek. And it just kept getting better and better. So, by the time we were scheduled to move to our third choice, the Argos in Uchisar, we were very reluctant to leave Kelebek. But, trying to stick to our game plan we made the move to Argos and spent two nights there. Now I can't say anything bad about Argos, but to be honest we longed to be back at Kelebek. Here is why.

It has soul and it has energy. It's about the hotel but more importantly its about the people there. I have never in all the my travels around the world felt as connected to a place and people as I did at Kelebek with the manager, Mert Kura and the owner Ali and the rest of the staff. By the time we left we felt we had new friends.

The hotel is super cool. The rooms we stayed in, room 110 and 21 are spectacular. They are large rooms with a cozy feel. Very classy but not over the top so it retains a very local vibe like you are in Ali's house and guess what... you are. Kelebek is his ancestral home converted into this magical hotel. The location is perfect for views of Goreme and watching the balloons fly so close you can literally shout good morning to some of the passengers. Also, it just a short walk to down town Goreme and we felt completely safe day or night walking main roads or ancient little alley ways. The food and beverages are wonderful and all at unbelievably good value.

The manager, Mert Kura, is someone you will never forget and you will wonder why every great hotel in the world doesn't have a person like that taking care of its guests. He never intrudes but is always there for you. The consummate professional who feels like a friend after being with him for five minutes. He totally engaged us to custom design our visit and to avoid what you wish to avoid and to find all the best hikes, restuarants, shopping, ect. We were totally in control on getting the best venue and values for everything. Amazing. Thank you Mert!

The owner, Ali. Well folks this is the real deal. He is passionate about his hotel, the city, the land, the history. He is one cool dude. Everywhere we went people knew Ali and they all had two things two say, "Ali works very hard and has a big heart." He is always around the hotel improving something and he does this incredible personal tour with a tractor that pulls a customize wagon which holds a small group of people. The tour begins and ends right at Kelebek with the tractor/wagon ride going slowly up and down the hills providing fabulous views. Ali narrates the history and geology of everything you are seeing and he tells you about his family history. You then hike down into this little valley which is his ancestors farm and where he grows organic food, including honey for his hotel. I never even knew this was going to happen as part of just being a guest but then guess what? You come upon a cave, you go in and there is a magnificent breakfast set up with a large table to accommodate all. I mean magnificent. Then after saying good bye you continue your hike in a loop back to the wagon. I wasn't expecting that!!!! Wow, thank you Ali. Oh, did I mention no charge!

Well, I could write a book but to say the least if you go to Cappadocia stay at Kelebek and do not leave it. You'll be happy you did

By the way the whole staff at Kekebek is just as nice as they can be. And don't make any plans at all until speaking with Mert. Let him handle the balloon rides, hikes, etc., ensuring your best experience and value.

Thanks again Mert and Ali. I don't know how you could do it better.

Room Tip: 110 and 21(the Eagle Nest) stayed in both and they rock. Never looked at any of the others, but all...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Highland, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for two nights during a 10-day trip in Turkey, and this was absolutely the best hotel where we stayed during the entire trip. They coordinated almost everything we did during our trip--airport shuttle, balloon ride, walking tour, whirling dervish ceremony, and breakfast! It is a beautiful hotel, with the most welcoming staff!

We stayed in one of the cave rooms, which was nice, if small (which was ok with us). The hotel is on several different levels, some of which have great landscape views. The restaurant overlooks the courtyard and has great views.

Everything about our experience was fantastic--the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful in getting us situated in the hotel and in planning all the things we wanted to do. The food in the restaurant (we had breakfast and dinner there) was really good, also. They also offer complimentary tea and coffee throughout the day for their visitors. To top it all off, on the morning we had to leave, breakfast was not yet being served (we left very early). The hotel provided us with delicious breakfast sandwiches (lettuce, tomato, cheese), juices and apples to take with us to the airport. It was very thoughtful of them, especially as we left at 6:30 in the morning.

The hotel is located about a 5 or 10 minute walk from the main strip of town, which was nice, because it meant we were a little away from the traffic and noise. (Although the term traffic is a relative one--twice while driving through town, cars were stopped because of donkey crossings.)

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to the region. I can't wait to go back to Cappadocia, and when I do, I am absolutely staying here again!!! (We didn't visit the hamam while we were there, but I wish we had!)

Room Tip: Staying in the cave room was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone over 5'7&q...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Kelebek in April and we can't say enough good things about it. Although it's a big property and there are some rough edges, the overall feeling is of understated elegance. We had a low end room (55 euros) so it was a bit small, but still it was charming and comfortable. All the linens look old, yet not worn, which adds to the atmosphere. Everyone on the staff is extremely helpful, from the restaurant to the office to the cleaning people. The breakfast spread is huge, yet authentically Turkish, and delicious. The evening meals were very good and very reasonably priced. We want to especially thank the manager, Mert. Although the hotel offers many tours for sale (balloon rides, day trips, whirling dervish visit), there was absolutely no pressure from Mert to get us to book tours. He encouraged us to take our time and make sure we only booked things that really appealed to us. We really appreciated that. Again, we can't say enough good things about the Kelebek, and we recommend it highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I can confirm that this hotel is amazing. The breakfast is gorgeous, the best that I had in turkey. The structure is very typical and the best in the city, in my opinion. The rooms are very cosy and beautiful. The view and the location is perfect too. Everything there is perfect. But I have to say that the service is more than perfect. I'll always be glad for having booked this hotel in particular. I had one accident of motorcycle and had all attention and help that I needed. I would like to thank so much Mert and everybody who have helped me in those days, buying medicine, going with me to the hospital, helping me with the stairs. It was very special for me and I will never forget it. I won't think twice in coming back to Kelebek. For me it is the best hotel in all Turkey!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed 3 days of vacations in Kelebek. Amazing view, caring but not obtrusive stuff, interesting tours, tasty food, hamam and massage we had - we enjoy every minute!
Thanks a lot, Kelebek team!

• Stayed May 2013
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the Kelebek hotel for 6 nights in March. The hotel has a wonderful and friendly feel to it and amazing views over Goreme. We had room 17 which was spacious and charming and had a fireplace! Matt was a wonderful host who went out of his way to ensure that we made the most of our stay. He spent time with us ascertaining our interests so he could help us map out a great itinerary. This is a very fascinating and unique part of the world that needs time to be explored on foot and in a balloon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!