“Above and beyond” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Goreme
Vancouver, Canada
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We were absolutely in awe staying at Kelebek Special cave hotel. Breathtaking scenery overlooking the stunning valley and town of Gorome with fairy chimneys everywhere you look. The terraces are great for relaxing and enjoying tea and coffee at anytime of the day...free. The service was so genuine and we were really impressed with the extent to which the staff went to make our stay enjoyable. Our party of four elected to stay in the two fairy chimneys they have. This was a neat experience. When will I stay in a fairy chimney that was a chapel centuries ago? This was my chance, and so lad we did. Be warned that it is about ten large steps up to the fairy chimney suites, and you access a bathroom outside of the room. They are small, but cozy with the heaters on. I awoke at 6am to watch the hot air balloons go overhead...stunning! The balloon with my husband and two friends actually went right past me while standing a stones throw away, close enough to have a conversation. The Hammam is well worth a visit and the tour we went on was also a great experience of underground cities and a hike thru the Rose valley. Spend at least a few days here as you will not regret it!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our group of 2 couples stayed 2 nights at the Kelebek Hotel in the Chimney Rooms. From the moment we arrived the customer service was excellent - giving us information without the sales push and making us feel welcome at all times. The view is amazing from the decks and the lounge spaces are great to chill out and have a cup of tea or check emails. We also tried the Hammam located inside the hotel. Again, the staff were great and made us feel at home and the setting was fabulous. Thank you to all at Kelebek, we would return in a heart beat!!

Montenegro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This cave hotel is 5 min walking from Goreme main street, a nice short walking, location is great! But the best is the astonishing view of the city! I stayed t 14 room, a stone room very small but very clean and cozy, with a good view. The restaurant has a wonderful area, with that wonderful view I just mentioned! They scheduled a ballon flight and a walking tour for me, and the transfers from and to the airport, very good staff! I recomend it!

Room Tip: Room 14 is perfect for one person, if you are a couple, choose a bigger room, they are not quite exp...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Spokane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in room 13 for three nights and enjoyed our stay. My husband missed having a TV in the room but I directed him to the TV upstairs in the dining area but he ended up not using it much because there are so many things to do and see in Cappadocia, who needs a TV? Our room was comfortable, had a hairdryer in the bathroom, and there was a fireplace in the room which we did not use because it was warm outside during the daytime. The bed was very comfortable. The room was very clean. Breakfast was supposed to start at 8 am, but the buffet was actually available a lot sooner then that. It was extensive with a wide variety of foods. WiFi plus internet is available upstairs in the eating area and terrace. There is also a reading room with an exchange shelf and good books to read. You can order lunch and/or dinner at the restaurant. Prices may be a bit higher then elsewhere, but we found the food to be very good and service swift. We also tried the hotel hammam. I usually go the hammams where the locals go but I could not convince my husband to do this since he had never been to one before, so I talked him into using the hotel's hammam with me . It is geared towards tourists and therefore more expensive then the one in town is, but service is excelent. I did miss being offered a glass of tea or water after the peeling and soap massage. We did enjoy our stay at this hotel. Note if you have an eary morning bus departure, management will give you ride to the busstop in town.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I've never written a review on TA until now, but I felt compelled to sing the praises of this magical place. We've traveled a lot throughout Europe, and the experience we had at Kelebek was a rare and delightful one.

My husband, mother, aunt and I stayed here in April 2013. Mom and Auntie were in room 102, which was cozy and charming, with a fireplace and lovely sitting areas, inside and out. My husband and I stayed in the Eagle's Nest (Room 21) since it was his 40th birthday and we wanted to splurge a bit. The room was spectacular, with a lovely terrace and a gorgeous view of the village. Did I mention the heated towel rack and the always stocked and ready-to-light fireplace?

From the beginning, Mert (the manager) and his amazing staff went out of our way to make us feel special. We had scarcely arrived and bags were whisked away to our rooms, and Mert was giving us an orientation to the hotel, making us feel relaxed and welcome.

OK, first off: DO NOT MISS the hammam. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. My mom was a bit hesitant as she had never had a massage before (!) but she came away gasping for more. I've been to a lot of spas and had a lot of massages, and I was blown away by the treatments we received here. We got the full treatment: soap & scrub, 50-minute massages and face masks. Absolutely a must. Do the soap & scrub at the very least.

We also went on a balloon trip with Butterfly Balloons, which Mert set up for us. Another once-in-a-lifetime experience. The balloon company, like the hotel, was one of the first in operation in Cappadocia and their experience shows. We had a marvelous trip (Mike was our pilot, get him if you can, he's a hoot and very good at what he does.) God, I'm tearing up writing this because it was all so amazing.

After the balloon trip, we wanted to tour the Goreme Open Air museum, and Mert volunteered to drive us to it, because the phrase "customer service" actually means something to him. The next day, we went on a full-day tour (the History & Adventure Tour), which was also great. Our guide, Jihad, was bright and friendly, intelligent, and extremely well-informed (he has a four-year degree in archaeology, history, and geology). The description of the tour is on Kelebek's website, but one thing I'll add is that even the lunch was an adventure: we were driven by Jeep (or you could walk down a staircase carved into the hill) to a hidden valley with an organic farm, where we were served an amazing lunch of lovely organic food (three of us are vegetarian and they were careful to accommodate us). Yet another incredible experience.

The breakfast buffet is sumptuous and beautiful, and they will cook eggs or omelets to order. Yet another great little touch is that you can have all the coffee or tea you want, all day long, complimentary. Our first night, we were tired from traveling so we ate dinner at Kelebek, which was lovely. The second night, Mert recommended their sister hotel's restaurant, Seiten, where we ended up eating two nights in a row. Gorgeous atmosphere and delicious food, and right next door to Kelebek, which is great for when you're exhausted from adventuring all day and can't manage the hike up & down the hill.

Now then. For my husband's birthday, I had emailed ahead to see if they could do something special. Did they ever. They said they could do flowers, wine, and a cake in our room. Lovely, right? But in typical Kelebek style, they didn't just plop the stuff on a table. Nope. While we were in the hammam, they scattered fresh flowers from our door to a table in the center of our room, on which they had arranged the most delicious homemade chocolate mousse cake any of us had ever tasted (not hyperbole. Truth.) along with a bottle of delicious Cappadocian red wine, a basket of fresh fruit, 4 glasses (because they knew my family was travelling with us), dishes for serving, and candles.

On our last day (sniff), we were awakened by the unmistakeable huffing sound of balloon fire, and when we went to the terrace, the balloons were gently rising right in front of our eyes.

I can't say a single negative thing, other than the fact that Kelebek has ruined us for life. Bravo, Mert & Co.

New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our family stayed here for 4 nights in two rooms, and we had a great experience. We took full advantage of all the hotel had to offer, hanging out in the several comfortable common spaces with their books and computers, dining in the hotel each night, visiting the hamam, and availing ourselves of the manager's willingness to help guests plan their itineraries. The breakfast is top notch; there is free coffee or tea whenever you want it; the staff will even drive you to your trailhead!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

You'll be hard pressed to find a hotel that provides better service in all of Turkey than Kelebek. Absolutely superb service from all staff. If I really wanted to be picky, the only 'negative' is that they really spoiled us for the rest of our Turkey sojourn!

Staff were always helpful, warm and welcoming, and will cater to any of your queries/needs. Booking of tours, insights into the area, whatever you need they will be there, sincerely and eagerly to help. Most of the staff had a very strong command of English as well.

And as they said - we were always their guests even when we checked out. We had a full day on our last day (night bus to Pammukale) staff ensured we had a place to shower/change/store our stuff after we checked out.

Rooms were neat, tidy and clean. The bathroom was very clean - though the waterproofing of the shower area was leaking a tad, so the WC floor area tended to get wet after shower. A minor annoyance for us.

The location is very good - there's a shortcut at the back which takes a less than 10 min walk down some stairs and slopes to the centre of town (or if you're not inclined just ask for a lift down!).

Best experience from an already superb one? Well the organic breakfast of course! This is included in your stay at the hotel - it includes a ride to the farm where you'll be seated in an open air 'carriage' and an absolutely gorgeous breakfast using food all grown from their farm. (some little hiking required on their private farmland! You'll love it! You'll get to places most other tourists won't get to see all led by the owner who will tell you stories and commentary about farming and the land in Goreme).

Stay here, you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Best to avoid room 2 if you're a light sleeper - we were just next to the stairs to the terrace...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!