“Just only a few tiny negative things!” 5 of 5 stars

Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
Aydinli Mah. Yavuz Sok. No 1, Goreme 50180, Turkey   |
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Goreme
Tokyo, Japan
“Just only a few tiny negative things!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I and my husband spent a night in a junior suite room located in the fairy chimney(room no.4). The room was very lovely and had a spectacular view. The hotel, the staff, the hotel's lovely kitties and all lovely guests staying there had given me the most memorable stay in Turkey without doubt.

Almost everything was perfect with the hotel and since there are so many people writting about how wonderful the hotel is I would not repeat what they wrote again here. However, there were some little downsides about the hotel that I feel compelled to write which are:

1) I was not aware that I could get a 10% discount on the room rate if I pay by cash when I was checking in. The staff told me it would be okay to pay when I check out off the hotel but I offered to pay right away and gave her my credit card. She came back with the slip and a receipt showing the amount charged if paid by cash. I had not yet sign the slip and asked if I could pay by cash instead in order to get the discount but she refused as she had already charged my credit card. The amount reduced for just one night was not a big deal but I think the staff should inform me about this option. This discount would become a considerable amount if you stay for many days though.

2) The bed was not really stable. It shaked so much every time I moved my body and could posslibly wake my husband up that I had tried so hard not to change my sleeping position all night.

The call to prayer was a good wake up call for us who had to join the balloon ride in the morning though:-)

Room Tip: Room no.4 and no.7 are in the same fairy chimney with room no. 4 on the 2nd floor while room no.7 on...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

This hotel has it's act together. They are very well organized, with great rooms and grounds and a very competent travel group for local tours.

We stayed in suite 102, a cave suite, and loved it.

Room Tip: The cave rooms cost more but are worth it.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Kelebek seemed like heaven after arriving from noisy Istanbul. HOWEVER, fellow solo women travelers: BEWARE I did have a bad experience at this hotel from a staff member making unsolicited advances.

One evening well after dark I went to the terrace to check my work emails. One member of the hotel staff approached me to chatting with me about the usual light chit-chat -- how long are you staying, where are you from, etc. At some point he suggested we go to a vantage point far from the hotel together to watch the sunset. I politely declined, and then he suggested we go to that dark and deserted place right now for the view, which I also refused.

Later, I left the terrace to go to my room, and the man followed, pretending to check on something in the courtyard where my room was located. He then asked me again to join him and after I said no, said that he "wanted to talk to me." After firmly saying no, he left. After he was out of sight, I went in my room and locked the door. I am a seasoned solo traveler, having explored such places as Eastern Europe, India, North Africa, and East Asia by myself, this made me feel more unsafe and uncomfortable than I have ever felt. To have people on the street flirt with you is one thing, but for someone who potentially has a key to your room to behave in such a way?! The next day I scolded the management for this unprofessional and inappropriate behavior. They seemed to take me seriously and I hope they will NOT allow their staff to continue to treat women in such a way.

That experience soured what was otherwise a pleasant hotel. I had a room in a cave, but the room amenities were all well worthy of three stars. The bathroom had new and modern fixtures and was well lit -- not dank and cave-like as I would have expected! The terrace has a beautiful view and the pool is perfect for resting in the afternoon after a morning of hiking. The hotel is far enough up from town to be quiet but close enough that it's only a 5-minute walk to go to town for dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I recently returned from my third stay at the wonderful Kelebek in Goreme, this time staying in Room 102 (Stable). Not only do I love this hotel, I’ve loved each room I’ve stayed in (previous ones being Room 9 and Room 10). I have to admit, however, that Room 102 is now my favorite due to the lovely bathtub. Nothing is more relaxing after a day of trekking through Cappadocia than a long soak in a large tub. As always, the staff at the Kelebek were extremely friendly, helpful and attentive without being intrusive. At some places, it sometimes seems that a hotel or the service provided has deteriorated with age when you make a return visit, but not so at the Kelebek. Everything was as magical on this third visit as it was on my first.

The day tours offered by Heritage Travel (Heritage is part of Kelebek) were always good but are much better now that they don’t include any “shopping” stops and concentrate solely on different sites/areas. The food at the Kelebek restaurant is decent, and they have a really good wine selection. (Try both the Doluca Antik White and Doluca Antik Red.)

If you stay in Goreme, make sure you visit the AlaTurca Restaurant which is located on the main street in the village. The food is wonderful and in my opinion it’s the best restaurant in town. Also try and drop into the Antik Shop run by a lady named Esra and her father. They have all kinds of nifty and different pieces and their shop is well worth a visit. I higly recommend Goreme as the place to base yourself in Cappadocia, and I highly recommend the Kelebek as the place to lay your head.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We wrapped up our 5 weeks inTurkey with a one week stay at the Kelebek.
The rooms were individually unique.The location was directly in Pigeon Valley and a 5 minute walk to all of the locally owned restaurants. There are 2 restaurants on site, but we did not dine there.
Our airport to hotel shuttle was on time and 10TL pp, although our duration of stay qualified it to be free of charge.
Our room, #20, was perfect. It was very clean, fully functioning, and quite large. The bed was comfy; the shower roomy. At one point the shower drain was slow draining, upon notification to the management, it was repaired immediatey.
Our room overlooked Pigeon Valley, others overlook the courtyard, pool, restaurant, or the town.
We could literally see the hot-air balloons float by our window. Not just above our heads, but directly in front of us! 30-40 could go by each morning if the wind direction pushed them our way. A truley incredible sight.
The breakfast provided was always of incredible variety, fresh, nicely presented, and delicious.
The staff was ever friendly, pleasant, attentive, and helpful. Happy to offer suggestions, but never pushy.
Hassan in Guest Relations, was exceptionally helpful, professional, and friendly. His english is excellent, and he is from the local area.
I sustained a hand injury while hiking. The staff was quick to help with providing ice and a dose of genuine concern. Hassan suggested that I might visit the no-charge health clinic in town. He wrote down the name of it and gave me directions.
The beautiful rose garden had great views and was our special "relaxation station" at the end of the day where we could peacefully sit and enjoy a bottle of the wonderful local wine (Velvet Okuzbogu, by Kacabag vineyards).
The only feature that could be a problem is that there are many stairs throughout the property. This was not a problem for us at all, as we are walkers and hikers. However, the hotel is at 4000ft elevation, if you are a low-lander, this extra effort might be un-welcomed.
We booked a day tour through Kelebek. It was enjoyable, a small group of 10, great lunch, and no "shopping" stops. The guide, Fatih, was personable, knowlegable, and entertaining.
We also booked a ballon ride on Butterfly Balloons. Another incredible experience with friendly, professional employees. A once in a life-time treat over this unique geoloy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Kelebek was a highlight of my trip to Turkey. Hasan was incredibly friendly and helpful, and took the time to help us figure out a great itinerary (even when that meant buying few tours from the hotel than we had originally planned). Everything about the hotel was just lovely: the view from the terrace, our room-in-a-cave, the pool (although it was freezing cold even on a hot day!!), the breakfast, etc. There were plenty of lovely spots to sit and read with a gorgeous view beneath you in the valley. The hotel owners operate their own travel agency, which we used to book a hot-air balloon ride, a horseback ride, and a day tour, all of which were good (and the balloon ride and the horseback riding were AMAZING). Internet works on the terrace but not inside the cave rooms. One warning: the beds weren't as comfy as the level of the rest of the accommodations would have suggested, and the combination of the call to prayer and the many people waking up early for the hot air balloon ride meant that you woke up at 4:30 am, too, unless your windows were shut really tight.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

After being highly reviewed by the Lonely Planet and recommended to us by people who had stayed there a few years ago (and trip advisor) we were really looking forward to our stay at Kelebek Cave Hotel; unfortunately our stay was not quite what we were expecting. After arriving early in the morning after 12 hours on a bus we were essentially dumped in a “waiting area” where we were told we could wait until the hotel staff arrived at 8 am and our luggage was placed in the unlocked laundry room. In terms of staff things did not improve from there. The staffs as a whole were very unwelcoming and it seemed like our staying there was a burden on them. From the, what I assume was the management, who seemed to stay in an office/the reception and the housekeeping staff, I honestly can not say I had one positive interaction with anyone who worked there. This also extended to the man who came to pick us up in the morning with a Butterfly Balloons vehicle and the affiliated travel agency, Heritage Tours and Travel. At the end the unwelcoming atmosphere was so bad that I was hesitant to ask for the wireless password or to arrange an airport transfer (which they didn’t tell us we had to pay for until we checked out and it was too late to arrange something else).

Admittedly and to be fair the hotel is beautifully well constructed and you can tell that they put a lot of work into it. There is a small pool which was close by our room and that other hotel guests seemed to use frequently. Our room was gorgeous, a lovely cave room, however I would not suggest staying in this room (room 19) if you plan to spend any time in your room. The room is right by the pool and even with our windows closed we were kept awake (when trying to nap after our 4:30am balloon wake up) by children and the radio playing at the pool.

The hotel is well priced but with all the other accommodation options in town the market is quite competitive and you can stay somewhere equally as beautiful and have a much better experience for the same money. I would not recommend staying here to any of my friends and I myself will not stay here the next time I go.

Side note: The same person/company owns Kelebek Cave Hotel, Heritage Tours and Travel and Butterfly Balloons. This negative experience with staff also extends to all the experiences we had with the staff at Heritage Tours and Travel, Ali in particular, who could not have made us feel our visits to his office were nothing more than a annoyance for him but our actual guide on our tour Fartyi (Far-tee) was fabulous. Ali will book your balloon experience only with Butterfly Balloons or Royal Balloons – we ended up going with Atmosphere Balloons and they were wonderful and 50 euro less than the prices Ali quoted us with the other two. I thought perhaps my partner or I had done something to upset him but I saw him treat other customers in the same way. After traveling through Greece and Turkey for two weeks we have a good basis for comparison in terms of hospitality and it was significantly lacking at both Kelebek Hotel and Heritage Tours and Travel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hasan-Kabalci, Manager at Kelebek Special Cave Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

As we read though our guests' reviews we always try make use of them in a positive way to improve our quality and services. Of course as a hotel, we do our best for all of our guests to leave with the best impression possible of our hotel and Cappadocia, and we know that is how we stay in business.Reading through your review, we see that no matter what the staff did for you, you saw everyone around you as not welcoming you.

After investigating into all of your comments and talking to staff members mentioned through your review, we have come to conclude that you were getting a lot of attention and still were not satisfied with the attention you got. As for your early arrival to our hotel; you were picked up from the bus station of Goreme at 04:30 in the morning, brought to our hotel and offered coffee and a place to relax, then offered free breakfast (you called that being "dumped"), until your room became available and cleaned. Also airport transfers are made clear to all of our guests through our emails as well as on our website. We do not cheat our guests into taking airport transfers while there is a better and cheaper option.

Ali at Heritage Travel made about 10 long-distance phone calls to place your lost iPod (which you lost on public transportaion that has nothing to do with Ali). You reviewed him as not being welcoming. He also says that he did not receive a thank for all he did. Also, he quoted you for a balloon flight with which is 150 Euro. Again, we make clear on our email correspondance with guests that balloon flights range between 100 to 250 Euro. The differences come from company qualities such as pilots, equipment, basket sizes etc. Your comparison of balloons companies is not helpful as you have only tried one of them, and your comparison is based solely on the price difference. Of course everyone can choose whichever company they would like to fly with and we do not pressure our guests on this subject.

We also make sure all of our staff is happy within so they can be sincere and positive to every guest staying at our hotel.

Kind regards,
Kelebek Hotel

Been to Kelebek Special Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!