“Better than a pedi” 5 of 5 stars

Longwood, Florida
20 attraction reviews
“Better than a pedi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed in Goreme for 4 nights and went to the Hamam, or Turkish Bath, twice! At the outset, I should say that the men and women are segregated by floor. You pay at the desk when you walk in. They accept Turkish Lira, US Dollars, or Euro...no credit cards. You are given a pair of boxer shorts (at least the men are) and a scrubbing mitt and are escorted to a locker room where you undress and put on the shorts. Your key is on a rubber bracelet on your wrist. First stop is the sauna and you sit for 10 or 15 minutes until someone comes and gets you and shows you to a marble slab with a rubberized mat on it. After surrendering your mitt, you sit down and get dowsed with bowlfuls of water to wash away the sweat. Then you like on your back and marvel how this fellow takes a cotton sack and somehow inflates the sack and creates a million soap bubbles. He then starts at your feet and works his way up to your head and cleans every part of your body, but not where the sun doesn't shine. He rinses you off and then rolls you over and does the same to the front. More rinsing and then a dunk in the cool whirlpool. After that, you can, if you wish, get a massage. When the massage is over, you are offered tea or a cool drink and spend a few minutes in a relaxation room with chaise lounges and a TV.

Tipping is customary and there are lock boxes near the exit with the names and photos of the staff. You can, if you wish, put a gratuity in any of the boxes for the people that served you. $5 is ok, but $10 is better and really well worth it. You end up leaving feeling clean as a whistle. Don't forget to bring fresh clothes to change into.

Visited June 2013

• Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
“A Unique and Enjoyable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'm not really sure what everyone who didn't like it was expecting when they made the decision to go to a bathhouse in the heart of Turkey. True, it's not a trendy, spic 'n span, Westernized "hamam" you might find in the basement of a Hilton; rather I would say it's a fairly authentic/old-school-feeling Turkish bathhouse that was pretty much what I was expecting before I signed up (and I've been to a few in other nearby countries).

Here was my detailed write up immediately after: http://nobleanarchist.com/blog/2013/04/30/the-hamam/

My masseuse did ensure that I got his name right when he left me in the cool tub, and then kept an eye on me when I was putting a tip in his tip box (presumably to ensure it was going in the right one), but really it was a minor thing compared to the harassment one can get anywhere else in a country like Turkey, and far from a deal breaker for me.

I did get talked into the extra oil massage after the usual routine, but my girlfriend who was with me did not, and I didn't feel like they pushed it that hard at all, and weren't in any way unpleasant.

I dunno, perhaps they've taken other comments on Trip Advisor to heart and made some improvements, or perhaps I was just lucky.

In any case, I for one would recommend it!

Ottawa, Canada
“dirty place, rude staff, avoid like the plague,”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Someone in my tour group raved about Turkish baths (not this one) so I decided to check out Elis Turkish Bath after dinner. I asked some simple questions about what Turkish bath is but the receptionist seemed irritated by my questions. He also wanted me to pay up front. The inside of the place looked dirty and smelled bad, so I decided not to have a bath there, and the receptionist guy then said "go [--] your self".

I don't think he knows about tripadvisor

Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Not comfortable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This place made me uncomfortable.... We were very naked... No direction as to where to go, the pool was cold. I got the scrub and soap massage. It was alright, didn't think it was 15 minutes long
. We then went to an oil massage, the towel was ripped off me and left me standing there while she made the bed again in front of me leaving me vulnerable. There was a window where people could see me getting massaged .... How embarrassing & uncalled for!!! I could go into more detail but I won't! Do not go here. It was not a pleasant experience. Not worth it!!!l!!!!!

Oakland, California
3 attraction reviews
“Tired, old, noisy, may have trained staff but they don't give a damn about more than asking you more than giving them a good tip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Go elsewhere. I should have consulted staff at my hotel, the Aydinli. Their recommendation for Butterfly Balloon tour was right on. Save your Mon from Elis.