“Our experience with Tribal Collections” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 15 Shopping in Goreme
More attraction details
Owner description: Ruth Lockwood is a well-respected oriental carpet dealer and the owner of Tribal Collections - a beautiful oriental carpet gallery with a long-established reputation for both integrity and quality. Originally from New Zealand, Ruth was one of the first women and foreign oriental carpet dealers in Turkey,and now with nearly 3 decades of expertise her gallery is a leading choice for those looking to learn, or to acquire, a beautiful hand-woven rug, flat-woven kilim or symbolic tribal weaving. Ruth can help you navigate the myriad of stunning styles, intricate designs and rich colour palettes to find the unique rug that best expresses your individual asthetic. She lectures, researches, provides expert carpet educationals and is known as a honest professional voice in the sometimes bewildering world of oriental carpets.Tribal Collections has recently relocated to a new space in a traditionally-restored cave house, in the fascinating village of Goreme, Cappadocia - the heart of traditional Turkish weaving.Ruth purchases at source ensuring that her rugs reflect the unique history and traditions, art and expression of the individual weavers.Her passion for oriental carpets and textiles means that every carpet purchased by you at Tribal Collections will be a symbol of lasting value and enduring beauty. I know what it feels like to be a tourist traveling through the sometimes-bewildering world of Turkish carpet shops,weith their bewildering array of designs, sizes and prices, so I love to share my knowledge and help all my clients find that special carpet that is 'just right' for them and their budget.You are welcome to spend time with me at my gallery, to browse and enjoy, or to learn more about the techniques, motifs, dyes and traditions that make each carpet and kilim a unique and individual work of art.To make you feel more comfortable I have a wide-open door policy and fixed prices: making it easy for you to compare, contrast and discover I look forward to you visiting me at Tribal Collections !
collingwood
“Our experience with Tribal Collections”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Ruth took us thru the whole process on tribal carpets and kilms. it was very interesting and we leaned a lot. Our friends both carpets from Ruth while we dealt with Faruk. He was very helpful and we are all very happy with our purchases.
i would recommend them for sure.

Visited September 2012
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you so very much for such a great review . I am so pleased that all of you were so happy with your gorgeous rugs and your comments are very much appreciated !

Australai
4 attraction reviews
“Brilliant shop, wonderful owner, amazing rugs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I wandered into Tribal Art knowing nothing about rugs. After a fascinating couple of hours talking to owner Ruth Lockwood, I was able to appreciate the history and cultural meaning of the rugs as she and her helpers took out many and explained their provenance, how some were woven by women for their dowry or for their tent.
I bought my first two rugs there and am thrilled with them.
I felt I could trust Ruth completely regarding price, quality and authenticity. She communicates her passion for the art so well.
After I bought the rugs, Ruth wrote up the certificate of authenticity with the rug's age and details, a brief history and cleaning instructions.
I was so interested in the subject that I spent the rest of the day in the shop, listening to Ruth as she showed and explained rugs to other customers. I had to tear myself away in order to see some of the other attractions of the area.
This is a great experience and the perfect place to buy a genuine rug and memory of your visit to Turkey. The assistant packed it into a neat little black bag with handles which I was able to check with my airport luggage.

Visited October 2012
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
I loved your review-it really made my day -many thanks ! So glad that you found carpets you so loved and am happy that they look wonderful at home.Hopefully see you in Turkey again one day !
6 attraction reviews
“Rug purchase Goreme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My parents had been to Turkey many years ago and talked fondly of their experience buying several carpets and I thought I might do the same.
In Istanbul everywhere you go you are hassled by sellers and it makes you very skeptical and almsot put me off the idea.
Having read reviews on Trip Advisor I made my daughter come with me from Urgup to visit Tribal Collections. Unfortunately we did not get the talk from Ruth, but the reviews from others made me feel confident enough to purchase two carpets after 3 visits to the store without feeling hassled at all.
I felt a bit worried until I unpacked them today and they look fabulous. I also bought 3 smaller cheaper carpets for my children from Rose carpets and am also very satisfied with those. They were reviewed on TA also. Like other reviewers have commented I may have got a better price elsewhere but I also could have just as easily been ripped off.

Visited September 2012
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Many thanks for your review and delighted to know that you were happy with your carpets and they looked fabulous when you got them home .
McLean, Virginia
“Great Tutorial”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Two couples dropped in unannounced, and asked for some education on judging and buying carpets in Turkey. Ruth gave us her undivided attention for about an hour, and a really top-notch tutorial. Ruth being a native English speaker (New Zealand) made communications much easier than with the usual merchants. She knew the dealers we knew in the US, and her pricing was a bit lower than comparables.

The skeptic on our side had vigorously advised against buying carpets in Turkey ("They're all made in China") and we had been thoroughly offended by the street hustlers in Istanbul. But both couples made small purchases, and we are delighted.

Visited October 2012
rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Many thanks for your comments . I love educating people about the history and traditions of carpets and kilims so I am delighted you enjoyed the 'tutorial' !
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent customer service, amazing carpets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had been recommended Tribal Collections by another traveller, but didn't intend to buy a carpet. I just poked my head in, and ended up falling in love with one, and Ruth and Faruk were both so accommodating with me coming back in a couple of times to try to decide whether to buy it or not!
You might pay a bit more at Tribal Collections, but after shopping around, the quality and range of the rugs definitely seems better.
I did end up buying the rug and I'm so so so happy with it. Amazing carpets, and amazing service. Worth a stop just to hear Ruth talk about the history of the various carpets they stock.

Visited September 2012
I was thrilled to read your comments -thank you. For me it doesnt matter what time it takes to buy a rug it just so important that you find the one you love and will enjoy for a long time .Glad you found a gorgeous piece that you are so happy with!