“Wasted potential, half-hearted effort” 2 of 5 stars

Arif Cave Pension
Cafelli Mah. Aydin Kiragi Sok. No:11, Goreme, Turkey   |
Ranked #19 of 69 Goreme B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Wasted potential, half-hearted effort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Arif for five nights at cost of 80€ per night. We stayed in room No.2 which is a beautiful cave room, very tastefully furnished, including a snug and sofa, plus a balcony with spectacular views over goreme.

Have given the hotel `poor` rating for the following reasons. The mattress was very old and was extremely uncomfortable to sleep on, to the point it was affecting my sleep. The breakfast was a very basic turkish breakfast that was on the meagre side, which when compared to the excellent Goreme House buffet, showed it to be very poor value for money.

It was obvious the family lived in the hotel - which in itself is not usually a problem - but at the Arif it created an atmosphere that at times wasn't welcoming. The whole experience just felt as though their hearts weren't in it.

This accommodation is pricing itself as superior accommodation, but actually is only offering a basic hotel experience in Goreme. This is a shame as the location and rooms could have a lot more to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed for four nights. Can only agree with the other reviews. Excellent location. Wonderful views from the terrace. Fantastic cave room (we stayed in room number 3). Arif and his family (a particular mention to his son Ahmet) were so friendly and made our stay excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is the best hotel in Cappadocia! I stayed in one of the cave rooms which was so cool to do, and it was also luxurious with nice finishes such as a modern bathroom. The balcony and sitting area in the room were also nice features that made me want to hang out in the room. The best part of the hotel though is Ahmet, who runs the hotel with his father and family. He was the best host and so friendly to us. He was willing to get us whatever we needed and to make recommendations about tours and ensure that we got the best tour guides for the tours. He made it feel like we were staying in his home, as he also took the time to talk with us on the terrace. The terrace at the top of the hotel was very nice as it looked out on Goreme. Also, the breakfast was great- lots of good bread and jams, fruit, eggs, coffee, etc- it was so nice that breakfast was included. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Cappadocia.

Room Tip: Panoramic Cave Room was the room I stayed in and it was great
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
tiantang
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very good hotel. Excellent location. It is located on the top of a hill and perfect for sunset views and for the rest of Capaddoccia. As Goreme is small, it is also only a 5 min walk from central/the bus terminal. The rooms have so much character and are 3/4 stars. The staff were also very helpful and offered free lifts.

Room Tip: Only some rooms have wifi
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We styed 5 nights in Arif Cave Hotel and it was gorgeous. Being a cave the rooms were always lovely and cool and the service was supurb. The view from our window was over the rock formations in the town and often of the hundreds of balloons in the morning. Arif and his son, Ahmet, were very helpful with arranging sightseeing and even drove us to the starting point of one of the walks. I think that Goreme is an ideal spot for visiting Cappadocia. It is central and right amongst the rock formations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I ended up moving to this hotel after not liking the one I had originally booked. I was so happy that I did.. the place is high up near the panoramic point with a wonderful deck where you eat your breakfast or just hang out and enjoy the view including the amazing sunset. I looked at a lot of the rooms, because each one was unique and special, designed with so much care. Ahmet was the most incredible host, helpful in every way. I was traveling alone and he made me feel as if I was with family. I stayed an extra day and would have stayed longer if I could have changed my plans.
Rooms were all very clean and the WIFI worked great all the time. I can not say enough about this place. It was truly wonderful and would recommend it to anyone wanting a place to stay in Goreme.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Oh ! What to say ? We went there for 3 nights and it was awesome ! First, they came to pick us up at the bus station with our backpacks. Then we had a nice chat in the hotel lobby, talking about what we wanted to see and do and many other things ! This is a family buisiness, and you feel like home ! First night we had booked a smaller room, which was nice, but then I was curious about the other rooms and we visited ! Then I fell for a huge room, really unexpensive for the size and quality of it ! This really was a rock star room :) We could see the clouds and stars from our bed, the shower is just awesome and we had stairs going to a place where we could sit on a couch and relax with the best view ever... There even is a balcony... So then we stayed the 2 other nights in this room, you can see pictures of it that I posted ! It really was the best hotel room I had in my life, I'm going to remember this all my life ! The location of the hotel is perfect, it is uphill but it takes only 10 minutes walk to get there. From the hotel, you can walk up and in 2 minutes you're the queen (king) of the world and you can see everything from the top of the hills :) It's the perfect spot to watch the hot air balloons early in the morning, so if you're lazy you can get back to bed in 5 minutes :p hehehe So the place is clean and quiet, the location is perfect, there is a terrace on top where you have breakfast in the morning with this amazing view... The breakfast is really good and complete. Staff is friendly, well, what else could I say ? Just look at the pictures and go ! You will have the time of your life :) Thanks for everything it was incredible...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Arif Cave Pension? Share your experiences!