“Ramazan, you're awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spelunca Hotel

You added Spelunca Hotel to your Saves list
Spelunca Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Gaferli mah aydin kirasgi mevkii no 4, Goreme, Turkey   |
Ranked #55 of 74 Goreme B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Ramazan, you're awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

The owner of the hotel, Ramazan, was extremely accomodating. We had some change in our itinerary so instead of staying for 4 nights, we had to cut it short to 2 nights. He assisted to help modify our reservation on booking.com without any trouble and was very nice about it.

We stayed in Room 303, the cave suite. Very nice and quaint-looking room. However, coming from a tropical country, we needed more heating in the room and toilet. Other than that, great place, great location, no regrets! Oh, please make sure you eat at this restaurant up the hill from Spelunca called Koy Evi. Great home-made food.

Personally, part of the Turkey trip is about the hotel stays and getting to know the Turkish people. We made a conscious effort to stay in hotels like Spelunca Cave Hotel, where the service is personal and exceptional. We were not disappointed. Thanks Ramazan! Strong recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We had stayed at three hotels during our stay in Turkey. The room we had at the Spelunca Hotel was definitely our favorite. I had chosen to book a Deluxe Cave Room since the price seemed reasonable and the opportunity to stay in a cave room rarely presents itself. We do not regret it at all. Actually, we didn't want to leave. Cappadocia itself was wonderful, but this hotel was wonderful in its own right. The room was quite spacious. The Jacuzzi was quite nice. I actually liked the layout of the sink area. It was a bit dark in the bathroom. The bedroom/sitting area was light enough. I actually appreciated the fact that there was only one window so the morning light would not illuminate the entire room before I was ready to get up. The bed was comfortable. I enjoyed the kettle for tea and found myself quite relaxed here. For those nervous about staying in a cave hotel, I would say that your apprehension is not necessary. This room was the nicest and cleanest we stayed in during our trip to Turkey. It did not get overly cold since there was an extra blanket available. I felt badly for the staff here during breakfast. One girl commented that the food was disgusting and walked away without even taking a plate. I actually enjoyed the breakfast. Then again, I am not a high maintenance person. I found their breakfast to be consistent with what was found at most hotels and restaurants in Turkey. Actually, I was impressed with how fresh their assortment was. The bread was quite soft and the honey was very fresh. The trip from either airport to the hotel is included in the reservation. It is highly advised that you contact them directly beforehand with your arrival information. The location is close to the town center, but it is a small town. The staff was pleasant. I felt as though they let you go about your business, but were available if you had any questions or problems. My biggest complaint would be that they leave items used during repairs in plain sight. There was a broken Jacuzzi near our room's entrance. The courtyard where you could have breakfast if you wanted to eat outdoors had pieces of wood in plain sight. It was though I was seeing behind the Wizard of Oz's curtain. I am ok with that since it makes me feel as though there is no illusion. However, it doesn't necessarily add to the ambiance. This, however, is a small detraction. It was a lovely hotel. We liked it so much that we discussed cancelling our flight to spend more time in Cappadocia and at this hotel. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Cave Rooms are spacious and a great value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed at Spelunca as part of a 2 day trip to Cappadoccia with my fiancee and my father. We did not stay in the cave rooms, but they were still great rooms. Room 201 was especially nice, with a large private balcony great for watching the sunset. The manager/owner, Ramazan, was amazing. He organized free pick-up from the airport for us (getting back to the airport cost us 20 TL / person). He set us up with a great guide for a full-day tour of the Cappadoccia region. He even personally drove us to the open air museum. A really nice guy. The location was great. It is at the top of a hill which overlooks Goreme. Only about a 5 min. walk to the town center. The breakfast buffet was great, a nice spread.

At the time I booked, Spelunca was only rated 24/40 for hotels in Goreme, but it should be rated a lot higher. It's only 3 years old, so I think not many people know about it just yet. Anyway, I highly recommend it. Don't miss the Monastary in Cappadoccia. It's well worth the long drive.

Room Tip: Room 201 is not in a cave, but has a large private balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed for two nights as part of a goup of 3. We found the rooms a good size and the bathrooms well equipped. Views were lovely: of the balloons in the early morning and in the evening a beautiful tranquil spot for a drink on the terrace. Looking at the previoius reviews, I disagree with the comments about breakfast being inadequate, I thought it was very good with penty of choice although I agree that it did seem to be served rather later than one would expect. I do agree with the comment about inadequate curtains, for me that was the real flaw in that room and the lighting in the bedroom (though not in the bathroom) was woefully inadequate. Helpful owner, great location, and good price, I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: None but I would take a torch because if there were a percut the steps could be dangerous
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We had a very large, nice room with a balcony that faced the hot air balloons in the morning which was a great way to greet the day. Arrived at night and the lighting was very pretty. Our room had one light (of three) that worked in the bathroom, so it was a bit difficult to get ready as the lighting was very poor. Asked for repair immediately, but it was never done in the two days were were in the hotel. The room had a fireplace which looked cozy, but we were told not to use it as it was in poor repair. The bed was excellent. Breakfast was inadequate and late on the two mornings we were in the hotel. It was served in a cold room (no one started the fire) with remnants of food and liquor eaten the night before still on some of the tables. It was a strange concoction of olives, cold meat, jellies, and one type of roll. Very short walk to town which has a variety of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Located in a lovely spot, with nicely decorated and kept rooms. Ours had a plus of a Jacuzzi. The owner and the staff were always helpful. It is a very good choice to explore Goreme.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
izmir
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days as part of an organised tour of Turkey. This Hotel was perfect, great location, modern, clean and excellent value. The hotel is dug into the side of a a rock making it a very effective cave hotel and the perfect choice of accommodation for this amazing location. the views of the town below were fantastic. The hotel had a friendly welcoming atmosphere. This hotel was very clean and inside was very well maintained with modern facilities including a fab jacuzzi bath. The staff at the hotel were very knowledgeable of the area and could help us to organise day trips and could easily answer any questions we had on the destination. In the mornings a fresh breakfast awaited us, which was a great start to a day exploring. If visiting Goreme I would highly recommend a stay at Spelunca Hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Spelunca Hotel? Share your experiences!