“Great Facilty, Terrible Service” 3 of 5 stars

Lalezar Cave Hotel
Gaferli Mah. Aydinkirahi Sok. No 8, Goreme 34310, Turkey   |
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Goreme
Erzurum
“Great Facilty, Terrible Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have just spent two nights and three days in the Hotel Lalezar, Göreme, while touring around the Cappadocia/Kapadokya area. I would like to share my views on the hotel with you:

I am a tour-guide from South Africa and I have been staying in and traveling though Turkey for the past 12 months.

This had been my first visit to Kapadokya and I have visited many of the interesting sites in Kapadokya, including Göreme.
I have also been flying in a hot air balloon, visited the Master Potter, and many other places that will attract many visitors from around the world.

I have been scouting for historical places, and places of religious interest throughout Turkey, because those are the places of interest for my clients, who are from the middle to upper income groups. Other clients also include adventure tourism from a slightly younger, but still Professional occupations (we focus on young professionals such as doctors and lawyers and civil engineers).

Through all my travels during the past 12 months, from Izmir to Istanbul, along the Black Sea, via Trabzone and the new Denier Dam construction close to Artvin, down to Kars, Erzurum, and Van, and then back to Cappadocia, I have nowhere in Turkey experienced such terrible and unprofessional service as I have in the Hotel Lalezar..!

I am fascinated by Turkey, but I have to say this again:

The young assistants working in the hotel reception area do not do the hotel justice and they seem to have absolutely no understanding of the Travel and Tourism Industry.

Their rude and obnoxious behavior create the impression that they look down on international travelers and scoff at anyone who cannot speak the local language.

In stark contrast to the well-versed and professional tour guides that really make life and traveling in the Kapadokya area a pleasurable and memorable experience, your hotel staff show no interest in customer service, they throw their empty cold drink cans over the wall bordering the hotel property and seem to consider that a great accomplishment, they removed my breakfast dishes while I was still having breakfast at 08:30, and they sleep on the couch where tourists are supposed to be able to sit at night. The TV remote is not available to visitors in the lounge and the young staff members hop from one channel to the next while lying on the couch with tourists still in the lounge.

A request for a wake-up call for the early-morning balloon ride was not adhered to, which almost caused me to miss the trip, and a promised shuttle service was not arranged, with the young man laughing and saying that I must find my own shuttle somewhere in town.

The worst of all of this was when the young man working on Friday, 2 November 2012, refused to assist with arrangements to get me from Lalezar in Göreme to the Nevsehir bus-terminal. He raised his voice at me (a sign of total disrespect and un-professionalism) and swore in Turkish at me and at his own pens that did not work. He refused to call the Hotel Manager, he refused to call a shuttle service or a taxi, and then he threw a business card at me and told me to look at the map on the back and walk with all my bags and go look for a taxi on my own.

After staying in Turkey for a whole year, I was completely shocked and taken aback at the disrespect, the incompetence, and the shear arrogance of your male staff.

I have made many good friends in Turkey and have established very good relationships with many hotels, lodges, tour operators, and businessmen throughout Turkey.

I am now back in Erzurum, waiting for the ski-resort to open, after which I will be touring the southern regions of Turkey to complete a comprehensive tour operator's guide for my company.

Cappadocia/Kapadokya has so much to offer and is a "must see" for any visitor from my country.

With so many lodges and hotels in Cappadocia/Kapadokya however, the only thing that will give you the competitive advantage and that will ensure return trips lies in the customer service that the hotel offers.

With the untrained and unprofessional staff you currently employ, the Hotel Lalezar lags far behind the rest of the Tourism/Customer Service Industry in Cappadocia/Kapadokya.

Unfortunately, due to the treatment I had received from your staff, your hotel will not be on my list of recommendations and anyone that wants to visit Göreme will be advised to stay clear of the Hotel Lalezar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lalezar hotel was an adjustment to my booking as the hotel I should have stayed in was overbooked.
My airport transfer took me right to the door of the hotel, so no long climb up the hill for me :-) On arrival at Lalezar, I was greeted by a young lad who was extremely helpful. I checked in without any complications, and he carried my cases up the two flights of stairs to my room. My room was a "cave room" without a window, the door was a solid heavy wooden door. The bed was stone, and I must add, very, very comfortable. Temperature was right for me, although I was concerned when I first saw a huge radiator in the room!! The inbuilt into the rock room was cool, so aircon was not needed. INo window added to the character of the room for me. My bathroom was a shower room, which was cleaned daily, nice big soft towels changed every day. Hot water was plentiful and no water pressure issues at all. The bed linen was high quality embroidered, soft cotton and spotless. I loved the beige linen, it added to the olde worlde design of the hotel. The central light and wall lamps were wrought iron, one of the wall ones was a bit dodgy, I did report it, but I wasn't that concerned about it anyway. TV didn't work in the room, again, I did inform the staff, but they didn't seem bothered about fixing it, but in all fairness, I wasn't bothered either, only thought I might catch up with a bit of news occasionally. Plugging my own hair dryer in was fine, power was as good as back home in the UK. Wifi didn't work in the room, but it did work if I stood outside the room on the balcony. I loved the view from the balcony. Goreme is a pretty town, with gorgeous buildings and mosque, plenty of shops (no hassle) and restaurants/bars. People were friendly too, but not pushy - I was a lone traveller.
My tours were already planned via Travel the Unknown. I had Itenery but did not know which travel tour company I was using. This was not a problem as they had my details. Ozzy was also very helpful contacting people to help me book my balloon ride, as I had not booked this in the UK. Its a definate must as part of your visit to Cappadocia. The noise of the balloons waking me up was absolutely deafening, I thought it had turned extremely windy outside, but when I opened the door to look out (my room had not got a window), I was blown away by the spectacular sight of balloons at very close range!! I set the alarm for the next morning so that I could enjoy this spectacular sight again.
Breakfast at Lalezar was adequate, not luxurious, but a good selection of the usual turkish cuisine for breakfast, bread, salad, cheese, cereals, tea, coffee and juice. You could also get cold drinks from the fridge at any time of the day, it was never locked, and pay later.
I enjoyed my stay here at the Lalezar, and do take on board some of the comments from other travellers, but as a shower, sleep and breakfast part of my holiday, I found the facilities absolutely fine, and I would go back again. Thank you Ozzy and Yasar. My visit was 24-27 Sept 2012.

Room Tip: I was told there were bigger rooms, but mine was adequate for me. I liked being two flights of stai...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Very centric, good breakfast, spacious rooms. All things considered, a very good option. Being on top of a hill, it offers a great view, although it is a heavy climb. Also offers free wifi, and if you wake up early, you can see the hot air balloons in the distance!

• Stayed September 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

On the whole, it's an average hotel. Room is spacious and toilet is clean with very basic amenities.

Breakfast is rather simple and few, but that isn't an issue. The problem lies where the already limited spread isn't refilled when empty so the late comers don't have anything much left to eat.
Be sure to wake up early if you would like a somewhat decent spread!

The staff doesn't appear approachable but helpful when asked.

I would try another place if I were to revisit Goreme. Again, on the whole, it's just average.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The good...huge spacious rooms with jaccuzi in some( almost impossible for old people to get into cos 2 ft high and also not soo clean). The hotel seems to think that they r doing u a favor giving the jaccuzi but I preferred the simple shower cubicle! Also climbing to the top fl rooms is grueling but luckily I was able to shift down. Bfast was more than sufficient and the day long tea and coffee was a welcome feature as no rooms in turkey offer tea/coffee making facility!! What I found distasteful was some guests let the house cats lick their cereal bowls. Cleanliness especially in the bfast rooms can b better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

they can do better with good service as they have nice view and near center...
They should also plan well with tour agents as they dont know when the pick up or drops for tour or plane will happen...
View is nice from top and must sit for 2-3 hours in night to enjoy goreme nightlife... Take local wine or raki with you...

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent two days at Lalezar Cave Hotel and loved every minute of being there. I had a great room with a terrific view. Staying in a cave is an unforgettable experience. I enjoyed the hospitality; the staff is professional, courteous and helpful; they did everything to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. Breakfast is OK, though could be better. The room was clean and bathroom was fine. I enjoyed befriending the staff and getting to know about Turkish culture. I will highly recommend this place to everyone; it is a terrific place and worth the value. I am looking forward to revisiting the area and will again stay at Lalezar Cave Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lalezar Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!