“Great staff, beautiful room” 5 of 5 stars

Dervish Cave House
Gafeli mah no :6, Goreme 50180, Turkey   |
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Goreme
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great staff, beautiful room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed with three other friends at this hotel for four nights and had a great time. The hotel picked us up from the airport for 25TL per person each way (great price compared to what some taxis charge in Istanbul) and also gave us a discount for booking our hot air balloon and a day tour with them. The rooms we stayed in were brand new and the bathroom suite had a hot tub and very modern fixtures--the owner told us they were only 3 months old (but they are still cave rooms--looked like they were either carved into a hillside or plastered to look like caves--pretty convincing to me!) We also got free Turkish breakfast every morning with eggs cooked to order. The room also had a small flat screen TV with cable and some English channels.

The only minor words of caution I have for staying at this hotel (and I'm not sure if this is true of all cave hotels) is that when we went it was a bit chilly outdoors and even though the room felt warm, it smelled a bit musty, like a basement. I was told that this is not the case during the warmer months, so that may be irrelevant. Also--I would not recommend eating at the restaurant down the street. The hotel owner had recommended it initially but apologized when we told them we had had a bad experience with the service waiting until three of us had finished eating to tell our fourth friend her order was out of order. (We also found better restaurants on the main street, which are very walkable from the hotel later during our stay).

I would highly recommend both the balloon ride and the tour (we took the green tour, which takes you to see the harder-to-get-to and geographically spread out attractions) through the hotel--I think the both the ride and tour weren't the cheapest if we wanted to do a lot of digging, but it was way cheaper than anything I found online before the trip and was definitely worth the money. The hotel owner was not too pushy--which I appreciated--when trying to sell us these services, so I didn't feel pressured to buy through the hotel (it was just convenient and seemed reasonably priced compared to forums I read online).

Room Tip: My friends and I traveled as two couples and the suite we stayed in had a door separating the "...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Goreme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked accommodation at Dervish Cave House, recommended by friends. Made booking telephonically and spoke to the manager Ibo. Excellent, efficient service and an unforgettable experience!

Warm welcome on arrival and was upgraded to a cave suite. Very spacious and tastefully furnished. Like home away from home!

Centrally located in the centre of Goreme. Ibo and his team went out of their way to make it an unforgettable weekend! I can highly recommend Dervish Cave House!!!

Room Tip: All cave rooms are great and special! Stayed in suite 21!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in Cappadocia and a large part of it was my stay at Dervish Cave House. The breakfast is included (a delicious an abundant buffet with so much variation). the staff was great. Ibo, who runs the place with his two cousins is very friendly and organizes everything for you in terms of tours and what to do around Cappadocia for great values as well. the rooms were very, very clean. I even had a bathtub in my room. there are tv's air conditioner, heating and a hairdryer. The best part is the location of the hotel. Stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

You must stay here!!

Everything the other reviewers wrote is true - the cave rooms at Dervish were spacious and beautiful, the breakfast buffet was delicious and plentiful, the staff were all very friendly and helpful (and offered us tea any time we wanted), and they helped us organize everything during our stay (airpot transport, Green tour, hot air balloon ride - which were all amazing!). We really enjoyed hanging out with Ibrahim and Cemal after a long day out touring - it felt like coming back home and talking to friends!

I want to add that Ibrahim truly went the extra mile for us. My friend left her passport in the room and didn't realize it was missing until we were already on the shuttle to the airport. We called Ibrahim and he quickly rushed to the room and found it, and offered to drive to Kayseri airport (50 min away) to deliver it!! There wasn't enough time, though, and he mailed it right away to our next guesthouse. He was very thorough and followed through to make sure we received it, which really speaks to how wonderful he and the rest of the staff are!

And did I mention he is also a balloon pilot?? Try to fly with him if you can!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Besides the excellent room, the beautiful terrace, the amazing views of goreme, the delicious breakfast, you will find here the nicest people ever. The managers - Ibrahim and his cousin - are very sweet and helpfully people. They have been very nice to us even before we arrived. They helped us to organize the whole trip to cappadocia suggesting companies for the balloon flight, arranging our airport shuttle and so on by email. At all times they made sure we were ok and they were ready to make the most of our time here. Ibrahim even gave us a free ride to see the rose valley. Isn't it nice?!

Room Tip: I have stayed in number 1. Great with a hot tube.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I and my boyfriend stayed at the Dervish Cave House for one night and we had a great time. The cave room was cosy and comfortable, warm with a Jacuzzi - perfect after spending a day cycling around!
But most importantly, the service was excellent, the hotel staff provided for all our needs: plentiful breakfast, they showed us things to do and visit, they booked tickets for our daily tour and for our return trip and they even gave us a lift to the bus stop. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel is very close to Goreme open air museum
Hospitality is remarkable and all people working in this hotel are so friendly, they speak english and provide all needed info when needed
Room was so clean and special, breakfast tasy and the garden is amazing especially whene there is sun

Room Tip: All rooms are nice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dervish Cave House? Share your experiences!