“Fast horses in a unque landscape” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 15 things to do in Avanos
London, United Kingdom
“Fast horses in a unque landscape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I spent a week riding every day , cross country through the dramatic rocky Cappodocian hills. The horse are forward going and very responsive. This is riding for experienced riders who will enjoy the adventure of strong horses going at speed across rough and often very steep terrain. The owner who lead our group is delightful and was very helpful and attentive to all our needs: also speaks good English and has many entertaining tales to tell. I recommend it highly.

Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
“Loved it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I should begin by saying, one of the reasons I loved this experience is that these are not sleepy ho-hum horses that trod down the path half asleep.

I am not super experienced. My sister and I used to ride when we were kids, but I haven't really had much time on a horse in the last twenty years. My cousin had almost no experience whatsoever.

We were given helmets. We were asked to keep the horses in a specific order, as the guides know their personalities and their tempers. The guides did not speak great English, but they did their best. We were the only group that spoke Turkish as well as English, and everyone seemed to understand directions.

We did a three hour ride. Two hours would have been perfect. That last hour was rough, being that I hadn't been in a saddle for so long. The view was amazing. The day was gorgeous. I fell in love with my horse.

The only trouble arose when my horse decided to pass another horse. Even though I'd been instructed to stay in line, I thought I'd let my horse pass and catch up to my sister who was riding two ahead of me. I gave my horse the go-ahead, but the horse in front of me got upset and kicked my poor horse in the face.

Startled, she reared up twice, but quickly calmed down after that. I can't blame the horse. If I was kicked in the face, I would have done more than rear. I held on. No worries. After all, it was partly my fault for not following directions. I was glad this didn't happen to my cousin's horse, because she would have panicked... but my cousin followed directions. :-)

At the ranch, we met Mehmet and the other members of Kadost. They put a tour package together that included the 3 hour horseback riding, a hot air balloon ride, kayaking on this beautiful nearby lake (note: they call it a canoe, but it's a kayak), and an evening at Turkish Nights (and all you can eat dinner with dance entertainment, a really great show). It was spectacular and a really good deal.

They also looked after us, shuttled us to and fro, and became our good friends. Really, finding Akhal-Teke on our first day set up our three day stay perfectly, and it was one of the best weekends I've ever had.

Visited August 2012
6 attraction reviews
“Good place to give young kids a horse experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere suitable to give our young kids (6 and 8) a horse riding experience and this worked out well for us. We got a 30 minute tour around their property with each horse led by one of the instructors. The kids couldn't stop smiling. The price of TRL35 each was pretty good value compared to the camel rides on offer at some of the tourist traps. The place is lovely which was great for those of us not riding. We were able to wait in comfort in a garden and have coffee or beers, plus we stayed for lunch which was good quality and value. There's not a lot of English spoken and it's a bit hard to find, so it is best to organise through your hotel. They came and met us in an obvious spot in Avanos so we could follow them to the stables.

Dubai
12 attraction reviews
“All a bit too slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We took the 2 hour ride which we hoped would allow us enough time to enjoy the scenery from the horses but basically we rode for one hour and then just turned around and came back the same way!.

Firstly upon getting there we weren't given any for of instructions and as we're all novices that was a bit worrying. Secondly the track was partially following a river for about 15 mins, then basically the rest of the time was through farmland, not exactly what you come to see in Capaddocia! There were longer rides which might have taken you elsewhere so I would check first.

Los Angeles
5 attraction reviews
“No Bad, But Could Be Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My friend and I wanted to explore Cappadocia's natural baeuty, but give our poor travel sore feet a rest during a long trip. We booked Akhal-Teke through an agent.

We had arranged a 4 hr ride, really ambitious for novice riders! We arrive and the facility is quite nice, with a big friendly Anatolian Shepherd dog and a cute cat greeting us. We sign a waiver, and were given helmets. They asked us our riding experience. I’ve ridden about 20 times in my life, and this was my friend's second time on a horse ever. We were brought our horses, my friend got a large chestnut male, and I got a beautiful even larger female paint, named Megan, which struck me as a funny name for a Turkish horse. The horses were obviously well cared for and in beautiful condition.

Soon we were off. Our guide, Barat, on a very large male paint, spoke very little English and was somewhat disinterested the whole day. Since Barat didn’t speak much English, this wasn’t a guided tour in any way, but more of a follow along and look at the sites, no explanation given. We were fine with that, but others may not be.

Also, no riding instructions were given at all, fine with me, but thankfully my friend is not the least bit high strung or panicky because although her horse was very calm and well behaved, it is a horse, and he spooked a little a few times. This was not the type of totally broken horses that just follow the leader that seem to be deviod of any energy or life. You know the type that show no interested until taking the well reheaarsed turn towards "home." These horses are lively and definitely have a mind of their own from time to time. It made it a very interactive ride, but at times I did have the fear adrenaline rush! They were very well trained that as soon as gently corrected they would fall in line again.

It took about a half hour to get out of town and another half hour to get to any of the natural formations. So anything less than a 4 hr ride would have been a big waste of time IMO. So after an hour we get to Zelve valley, and our ride really begins. We then ride to Pasabagi, which is really fantastic. We stopped for lunch at in Cavusin at Panoramic Cafe. It was a friendly local cafe, inexpensive (not included in the ride price).

Considering we paid a discounted price, we felt it was worth it for the beautiful scenery, and large, well cared for horses. If we had paid full price the disinterested guide probably would have bothered us.

Visited November 2010