“no way is this four star” 2 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Kurdoglu
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yatlimani Karsisi, Kusadasi 09400, Turkey   |
Ranked #68 of 148 hotels in Kusadasi
London, United Kingdom
“no way is this four star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We booked with Beat the Broucher for a one week break to Turkey from 17th to 24th September 2012 we paid £544.00 with flights but spent another £70 plus having to eat out every day.
The two reviews we read about the food being rubbish was true. On the first night we were presented with raw chicken by day 4 the cook had decided to re-fry the chips from the day before. After complaining to the hotel owner who vowed to kick the cook to the kerb we were provided with a lovely fish supper for one night. Unfortunately this was just for us and not for the other guest. If you don't complain you don't get. The hotel owner was very keen to rectify any short comings and anything we raised he corrected. I believe other guest may have just complained amongst themselves and when the hotel owner was not there things were not addressed.
There was curdle milk put out for breakfast and a juice machine which would empty onto the floor when you tried to use it. It took 4 days before they took this out of service.
The free drinks ended at 9 p.m. and there was no tea making facilities in the rooms which meant getting up and going to the dinning room first thing in the morning.
Lunch was only served for an hour and the snacks served twice a day never happened.
As for the facilities for your all inclusive they are not included. This did not include the roof top restuarant which the reception said was not open due to bad weather. At 28 degrees I could hardly say it was bad weather. The roof terrace bar only opened after 2 p.m. and not on every day. No mini bar in your room only a fridge which was handy for storing the booze from duty free. The sauna and steam room were never available. The equipment was so old in the gym that the treadmill was manually operated and only had one piece of rubber to run on that you would have had to hopped to use it.
The lights on the stairs down from the first floor was broken so we slipped on the stairs several times.
There was a family of six cats which occuppied the patio by the dinining room. They were very well fed as the guest use to feed them food from the restuarant. Generally most of the guest ate out in the evenings and at lunch time so the dinning room was empty. I really believe this was due to the bad food.
And don't bother paying for a land view room as you are likely to be placed facing the main road or the building site which was the garden. I understand that the owner of the hotel has sold this off.
The staff were really helpful and pleasant the the hygiene was good.
All in all the main let down is the food and someone needs to get a gun and shoot out two of the stars on top of the building.
Be careful of the competetion between the holiday reps. I believe they work on commission and we were caught up in argument between Alex our official rep and Frankie who turned up early and advised that he was our rep and tried to sell us excursions. We went on a great day out call Dolphine Beach which included transport, free drink and fruit place for 15 TL. Maurice the owner is very wellcoming as is the staff.

If the hotel was available as half board or room only they could keep 3 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view on the fourth floor in the left hand corner. Rooms at the front over the lobby fro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

207 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

After seeing mixed reviews before our visit we went with an open mind, what a pleasant arrival, the hotel owner was in the lobby introduced himself and said to go to him with anything we had concerns with and any needs, well immediately the room was changed as we were promised a sea view and the original allocated room did not have one so we were shown to a new room which was wonderful overlooking the Marina and cruise terminal bird island and city really great. We stayed on the all inclusive plan, this always has it's highs and lows but I can honestly say that there were no real issues you just need to go knowing what to expect, firstly remember this is Turkey not Britain the diet is not normal British food or attempted British food it's Turkish which means largely salads olives chicken and meatballs, breakfast is again salads boiled eggs, omlete, bread, so if your wanting Bacon sausage black pudding fried bread etc stay in Britain or go to Spain, the food in this hotel is of a good standard and if you do find something not to your liking believe me they will sort it, in fact all the staff are happy to help happy to talk and have fun with you, they work hard but are always smiling, The room was cleaned daily, basic but clean and tidy with a safe balcony, another thing to remember is health and safety regs are not British regs so if you see dome wires hanging out or a loose fitting, dead flies etc it's Turkey That's how it is, I have stayed in Turkey now for the last 3 years I can honestly say that this hotel far exceeded previous visits it's not the most Glam or up there but the comfort and hospitality it offers is fantastic, even when checking out I spoke to the owner about where I could leave the cases as we were not being collected until 5.30pm but check out was 12pm answer was keep your room until you no longer need it , no charge use all facilities and all inclusive facilities until you leave, when have you ever heard this happen, then later in the afternoon owner comes over and says would together like us to make you a sandwich .or something, overall all I can say is for the the money we payed and the service we got this was a lovely place to stay, when you see some reviews moaning about the food, wires, rooms etc I can only assume they don't really like salad, or forgot they are in Turkey not good old safety conscious Britain,

• Stayed September 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have just returned from a week in this hotel and am sure it cannot be the same one as some of the reviews, Yes the staff were lovely but the food was disgusting and cold with many guests becoming ill including one of my friends and the hours that food was served and the bar was open were not reflective of true all inclusive. You could not get a drink from the bar before it closed unless you took an empty glass which was insulting and the owner did not care when I spoke to him about this. The restaurant upstairs was closed and there are only four tables outside. They did light the bbq one lunchtime but it was for a management meeting and not the paying guests. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I am not sure what I can say about this hotel. They had great location, great view from terrace, great rooms, good food but not many choices, good beer and wine. Bit noisy due to construction site nearby, but thats not hotel fault unless they had rooms on quieter side free and could have allocated us there. We didnt enquire.
They have really lovely terrace, windy in hot days, very pleasant to sit with a bar, which sadly was never opened. We didnt understand why. Dinner was served in restaurant downstairs, very crowded and hot. We didnt like to eat there so we were allowed to take food upstairs to terrace. Problem was that there was no light on terrace and after sunset was almost pitch black. We could find light switches, but there were lamps overhead. Staff noticed us eating there all the time, but nobody switched light on for us.
The owner was very pleasant and we would not like to complain to him about anything not to break his heart. We had impression, he thinks he is doing everything right, but he wasn't in fact.
We wont be back to Kusadasi any soon, but would love to go again to Milli Park -National Park located 30km . It was place that was worth visit. Efes - ancient city was interesting too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Eight of stayed at this hotel in August of this year for a fortnight. This was our first time ever for an all inclusive holiday. on our first night there we had problems with the rooms but by the next morning the issue was resolved, so the service was great from the staff. The staff are very friendly and there is a willingness to help. The Manager was extremely helpful when one night my daughter managed to get some gel spray in her eye and needed medical attention. He personally took us to the chemist ( and on Sundays only two named chemists are open), he managed to find one for us and we sought some help. Without him I can assume our task would have been time consuming. The Chef was lovely, he catered for our dietery needs. There is a Customer Relations lady who is around the hotel should you experience any difficulties and found her that she was able to resolve any issue - mainly with issues with trips booked from agents.

There is always plenty of food, breakfast, lunch, afternoon treats, supper and drinks are always availalbe on demand. They don't mind you taking food into your rooms unlike some hotels. I felt my children could walk around and explore the hotel without any danger, except the obvious ones like marble stairs that we're certainly not used to in the UK. The food can get a little boring for vegetarians but the Chef was happy to make us something of our choice, given the recipe.

The staff in the restaurant are always smilng and always happy to help. I wish we had the same in this Country. They apply so much energy and always smiling considering the hours they work - i can only but applaud them.

The view from the hotel is something you cannot capture on photos - you have to be there to see it. We watched the sunset daily. We also watched cruise ships come and go including cruise ships doing 3 point turns !!!! Amazing.

The rooms are cleaned daily and sheets changed every other day, though if you get them dirty,they will change them. Towels are fresh everyday and plenty of them so no need to take any; there is hair dryer in the bathroom though not powerful but on the other hand not needed as you need to stand in the balcony and its dry within minutes. Body washes, shampoos etc are supplied but just as easily available from nearby shops (Migros - 5 min walk from the Hotel) and chemists - brands that we're accustomed too, I would say don't take the unnecessary weight. We may not speak Turkish but the Turkish speak good enough English to understand us.

Laundry service is very expensive at the hotel, so we bought our own washing powder and washed what was necessary. No nearby laudrettes either. :(((

Kusadasi is very small and central to alot of the main attractions in Turkey. Ephesus only 30 minutes away. Half day, i would say would suffice. Take plenty of water, we ran out and there are no shops on route from North to South or vice versa. The Hotel organises alot of the trips and in my opinion are a better option. Though we hired a taxi for one day for 200 TL for the 8 of us for the whole day to Izmir.

If you decide to do a day trip to Samos, Greece then please take with you Euros as they do not accept TL and to try and exchange money at the bank is painstakingly long!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily i had my HSBC card which allowed free withdrawels meant we had access to money, after finding a cash point. When you reach Samos there isn't much to do unless you organise beforehand. We should have taken a taxi to the beach but we didn't know. The buses are not regular. So by the time you try and decide what you want to do it's time to get back to the boat. Plan and organise and you'll have a good time and also in addition to say you've seen a bit of Greece. The boat trip was lovely as we saw Dolphins swimming near us - a lovely sight and didn't even have to pay :))

To obtain your visas they will probably charge you an additional 5TL, which they don't tell you about but you have to accept this is there way of making as much money as they can during their holiday season.

When you're shopping be careful not to bargain to the point you're going to insult them - it's not like before where you reduce the price to 1/5. I would say start with just over half the price of what they say and you might keep them interested.

Pamukale is a must - it's one of the wonders of the world as is Ephesus. It's a long day but with air conditioned coaches it's fine. I have to say that the day is rushed. If I did it again, i would take a private taxi and spend the time i want without any guide giving me hours of talk. You want to go there and enjoy being in the water, though unlike before you cannot go down to the lower tiers, top tier only and unfortunately ..... but nonetheless, a sight worth and a must to experience.

The AQUA water park that is part of Disney is the one to go to, we spent the whole day and the children loved it completely - best day of the trip. Expect alot of climbing step ..... :))))

We also spent a day at the Diamond Beach - it was certainly 'diamond' and well worth the day or even two. Just watch the rocks as you enter the sea as my brother in law hurt his big toe badly.

The weather is guaranteed, so not much to say there except plenty of sun screen - which incidently is available there too if you decide not to take too much.

Bags, shoes and clothes are of better quality now unlike some 15 years ago.

Kusadasi is quiet and not many Brits in sight. I think alot of the visitors were from Iran and other parts of Turkey. Not a great deal to do except to absorb the lovely sun, sights and just to relax. Lively at nights as most shops open til early hours of the morning. If you want a holiday that has lots of pubs, clubs and rowdiness then Kusadasi is not for you, try Mamaris.

I wanted to just chill so i was in the right place. Saying that there isn't much for children at the hotel or anywhere that we found nearby, except an open park near the seafront.

I did tell the Hotel Manager that they need a few activities for children - but i guess receiving visitors that are local, it isn't expected.

Overall, i would visit Kusadasi again and again. I loved it. The Hotel provides and i would recommend to family and friends too.

Room Tip: higher the floor better the view, we were in room 401 & 402
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've just got back from a two week holiday here and never have i felt so welcome anywhere, the staff where excellent polite and so polite, i even met the owner who was honestly the most lovely man i have ever met he was so kind to me and my friends, he even went and bought us chocolate some nights,
the chef was phenomenal his chicken was absolutely delicious
all in all i couldnt give this hotel ENOUGH stars, loved every second of my stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Derry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks, had an amazing holiday will defiantly be back in kusadasi brilliant place!!! However this hotel is no were near a 4 star! The food was awful one night we had dinner in the hotel my friend cut into his chicken and it was raw it was nit cooked at all it was still jelly! Lucky enough he notice it before eating it, also the chef puts the cooked chicken back on the same plate that the raw chicken was on before it had been cooked which is very dangerous!! The rooms were lovely even though I had no balcony I still really liked the rooms and the staff are great at this hotel the owner is very pleasant and helpful! The pool on the roof is great and very quiet and the bar is right next to the pool which is great!! Would not recommend going all inclusive to this hotel but apart from the food we had an amazing holiday we just went out for our dinner instead of eating in the hotel! This hotel is also a good 30 mins walk to bar street, when we booked we were told we were right next to bar street which was a let down also!! Would highly recommend kusadasi as a holiday tho just not this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel Kurdoglu? Share your experiences!