“Tusan Beach: a huge disappointment!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tusan Beach Resort

You added Tusan Beach Resort to your Saves list
Tusan Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Otuzbirler Plaj Mevki Kusadasi Merkez, Kusadasi 09400, Turkey   |
Ranked #21 of 148 Hotels in Kusadasi
Bucharest
“Tusan Beach: a huge disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

My vacation in Kusadasi was in September 2008. Along with some friends, I stayed in Tusan Beach Hotel for one week.

Having heard so many good things about Turkey beaches and services, my expectations were pretty high. That’s why the disappointment I felt when arriving to the hotel was quite significant.

Firstly, the beach seemed wide and well kept on Tusan Hotel website, but, as I discovered it was almost a patch with barriers on both sides from rocks, so an evening stroll along the beach was impossible. Also, during our stay we discovered that the sand was rarely cleaned, probably once a year or something, because one could find cigarettes ends, pieces of plastic and even glass.

The room we were distributed in, the first time, smelled badly (from moist and God knows what) and the windows were looking to the pool and disco. During the day the entertainment team made a lot of noise with loud music, shouting and screaming, and during the evening, until 2, 3 in the morning, the noise came from the disco.
Fortunately, we asked for another room immediately and specifically requested the windows to look over the sea.

The second room was smaller, with two single beds, but at least it didn’t have the smell. Or so we thought. It turned out that the hotel, which is the first one build in Kusadasi - and that was in the 60’s - had a power and heat station working with fuel oil, emanating the whole day a thick, unbearable smoke that entered every day in our room. Unfortunately the smoke was also present from time to time, depending on the wind, also on the beach, at the sea and in the restaurants (actually terraces outside). Each evening, before going to dinner, we had to close all the windows, to prevent the smoke coming in and had to turn on the air conditioning, actually a ventilating system that was as old as the hotel and barely working.

Speaking about the room, have to mention the curtains that were the filthiest ones I have ever seen in my life, and I felt sick every time I had to handle them when going on the balcony. The towels supplied were stained and unusable, the bathroom floor filled with water every time you showered and the toilet basin made a loud noise when filling.

Other problems encountered:
- the “all inclusive” services that were provided like kayaking, pedal boats usage, tennis were also a disappointment;
- there were only 4 or 5 kayaks, but not all had enough rowing sticks;
- if you wanted to play tennis, you had to chase the entertainment team around the hotel and also if you wanted to play in the evening, after dinner, when it was getting dark, you had to pay 30 liras or something…
- the pedal boats, or should I say pedal boat, as it was only one, was also very old and you could only use it for 15 minutes…. And I could go on and on…

But I guess you can get the picture. I wouldn’t recommend this 4 stars (???!!!!) hotel for anyone… ever!

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

I went in Kusadasi at the beginning of September with my boyfriend and some friends.

The hotel was the oldest from the resort. The rooms furnished from 1960 when the hotel was opened.
The air conditioning that you would expect to be functioning ,given the fact that Turkey is a "hot" country was an old ventilating installation that didn't help against the heat.
The bathroom was approximately clean and the tub was turning into a "pool" each time you had a shower because the water did not drain properly.

The personnel was not very helpful and they spoke a horrible English. (if you ask for something, assuming they understood you, they would help you if they remember on when they consider it fit)
The beach was very small and not cleaned fully or timely.

In conclusion don't go there because it's not worth it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

I picked also this hotel through TripAdvisor when it was on the 18th place on Kusadasi Top Hotels, and I found that it wasn’t what some people wrote about.

We went there 6 friends in September 2008 and I must admit I had the chance to sleep in the caves of Cappadocia and I spent more fun there that this 4* (2* by me) stars hotel. To be brief, no excuse for a 4* hotel were:
- was the first hotel erected in this region (around 1960), no argue about this, but I think that most of the things there were from that times (eg. floor carpets, furniture, elevators, etc)
- we had “the pleasure” to negotiate our rooms, even the hotel had plenty off free rooms available, the covering sheet was some kind of towel for that continuous asked the receptionist to send somebody to change it with something else (eg. another bed sheet)
- bathrooms lack hygiene, the bathroom get filled with water every time you showered
- the AC in the room was not working, in fact when started made a lot of noise and air currents but no chill (probably the 1960’s chiller broken)
- noise from time to time (including the AC and some outside pipe installation)
- The meals: breakfast no so great (the same food every day ), the juices made from powder like the famous Tang – deplorable (I think that is filled with Es), their “national” alcoholic drinks – execrable – it I had an alembic I’ve prepared them much better, even some of us hard-bitten drinkers cannot drink these odd substances.
- The beach – small and nice but not cleaned from debris, I’ve found a really nasty broken glace in the sand – and I was lucky to cut myself, the sports equipment that you can use in All Inclusive package was after the WWII, we were lucky not to sunk in the Aegean Sea with the fishes.
- The staff and services – no so great, the schedule in the brochure not respected and even not present.
Conclusion: Cheap hotel – cheap services. I give it 2 starts tops

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The services
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

My husband and I picked this hotel through TripAdvisor and by that, I mean that I read each and every review for Tusan but frankly, the reviewers are far too tolerant to express truthfully the reality. I really don't understand how this hotel could have reached the remarkable 20th place in Kusadasi Top Hotels.
We are not really picky and are easily satisfied and this review does not come out of a whim but of objective perception of reality: the hotel is old and dirty (the carpet has lost its color and is inexcusably stained in many large spots, bathrooms lack hygiene although there is everywhere a persistent odor of chlorine - it solves only the surface cleanliness - stained towels, stained bedspreads, you get the picture). We were put in a room on the fifth floor with a twin bed and one single although we were only two, the A/C was not working but at its 20% of its power, the room looked as it was devastated recently by drunken tourists and was only cleaned afterward, and it might just be true since the hotel is swarming with Russians that get drunk and disorderly everyday (please note that I mean everyday not every night). They are constantly banging doors, shouting, listening to TV in high volume, coming late at night in the rooms and not giving one thought to the others - again shouting and banging.
Secondly, the staff are far from friendly but more likely obnoxious and downright unconcerned about you. I know that maybe I am the single contradicting voice among others who are so pleased with the Turk staff but I will be telling you just one example and I think it's enough: we made reservation for the a la carte restaurant in due time (with three days in advance) at the reception and we went as planned to have dinner there only to find it closed. When asked, the staff at the reception claimed that first, the restaurant was open only on Tuesday. When I protested and explained that I personally made the reservation in a day that was okay-ed by them, the claim that followed was that we had been notified that the restaurant was closed for the day because of bad weather. Not true, of course. Anyway, during all this conversation, which by the way was difficult as English is a language that is known to few, they kept us minutes in front of them without acknowledging we were there and had a problem, kept talking to themselves in Turkish and turned their back to us until I had to literally say "Hellooo, we are still here and you haven't solved the problem yet". Come on, who does that when being nice and helpful to the tourists is your job? I must mention Mr. Rufat as being the one who gets the first prize in the rudeness contest.
However, I must do justice to the following: beautiful pools, nice beach, wonderful garden and restaurant/terrace by the sea, life saving snack bar with the only nice staff. The food is ok but the breakfast is a major disappointment.
Will never go there again. 3* hotel actually.

• Liked — The sea view.
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Tusan Beach resort and I have to say that I was worried because the reviews I had read were not very encouraging. However, having arrived from an over night flight with no sleep I was not impressed with anything and feared that all the worries were being realised. Once I got some sleep the next day dawned brighter, I will agree that the rooms really are in need of modernisation and the cleaning of the rooms needs to be much better than it is presently. With the negatives out of the way, we liked the hotel, the staff were all very friendly and helpful, the food was really good and like one other review I read, it is Turkey not England and we cannot expect English food, I never went hungry and I always found something really good to eat. The beach is small but the water is lovely and clear and great for kids and adults alike. Unlike some hotels that offer all inclusive, this hotel has food and drink available virtually all day long, the staff work very hard, I can't comment much on the pools because we are beach people but they both looked great, one was quieter and smaller and the main pool bigger and busier. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — The wonderful sea views
  • Disliked — The rooms need updating
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

Wehave just returned from Tusan Beach Resort Kusadasi and we loved every minute of our stay. The hotel staff are friendly and polite and most of them speak English. Our room was clean and the cleaning staff came in every day to replace towels and bedding if we required them. The pool was immaculate and very well maintained, with two fantastically helpful pool staff who helped everyone find sunbeds, shades and tables. As we have two teenage children, we were a bit worried about keeping them entertained, but we need not have worried. The entertainment team (Animation Team) were outstanding. They worked very long hours keeping all of the guests busy with Aqua arobics, Water-Polo, Crazy Darts, Shuffle-board, Bowls and Pool Games to name but a few. Their skills didn't end there, as they did a fantastic job of providing the entertainment at night aswell. The animation team were friendly and took their time to get to know all of the guests. My children thoroughly enjoyed themselves and want to come back to the Tusan next year.
The food at the Tusan was delicious. There was a large selection of food served which included Turkish food and English if prefered. There was food srved throughout the day aswell, such as burgers, chips, pizzas and spaghetti bolognese. There was a wide range of drinks available such as coke, fanta, sprite, tea, coffee,beers and spirits.
We would particularly like to thank Matt, Leo, Ginger, Max and joshua for making our holiday a holiday of a life-time.
We would definately recommend the Tusan to everyone both young and old.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Rooms could do with being modernised
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

If you're reading this, you've done what me and my girlfriend did and checked out the reviews. To be honest there are mixed reviews on the site, so we were a bit worried what to expect from the Tusan Beach Resort. Its about 1hr 30mins from the airport, which doesn't really drag too much. When we arrived, at about 1am, we didn't really see anything that was open, but then again, after a night flight, you just want to crash!
Its more like a 3 star resort in terms of the room we we're given, the decor won't win any awards, but it was clean and the air conditioning was a god send. We stayed in the hotel block further away from the main reception, which I think was a benefit, as the older parts of the hotel didn't seem to have there own separate a/c - I can't confirm this, but given an earlier review on this site, I imagine that is the case.
When we woke up the following day, we looked out of our balcony and saw an attractive sea view, overlooking the pool and beach, so no complaints there either.
We went down to have breakfast, which is more or less a buffet type affair, very continental, but probably the weakest of the meals throughout the day, but you won't go hungry and I'm not really a breakfast person anyway. There is cereal, pancakes, scrambled eggs, toast and breads aswell as other stuff to tuck in to.
There is a snack bar under the main pool, which serves chips, pizza, hot dogs, sandwiches and burgers, which will keep you appetite served throughout the day.
The bars serve local spirits and beer, which seemed to keep most of the guests happy, I'm a Vodka Red Bull fan, which I has to subsidise myself, but its more than adequate. There is teas and coffees available too, handy for the morning after the night before. I never spent to much time waiting at the bar either, which some people have complained about.
The entertainment team (animation team) are all friendly and true to there name, entertain! Ok, the music provided by DJ Crazy could do with a bit of updating, but it was fun.
There are events throughout the day and evening entertainment not too dissimilar from most holiday camps back home, but nice all the same.
Lunch is served in the main restaurant, and is ok, although I enjoyed my burgers and chips, so never really went there that often.
There have been complaints about the food, but I cannot really see what there issue was. If you can't find anything to eat, you're just being picky, the barbequed food and other parts of the buffet more than filled me up, probably best to get there when the restaurant opens though. I'm one of the fussiest eaters and I was more than catered for. In fairness, it's quite arrogant of the British to assume that unless its steak and chips every night, then its bad food. The only thing I would suggest is that some more labelling is applied, as I wasn't always sure what I was available.
We did the a la carte restaurants too, which was lovely and the chicken kebab was pretty special!
The only real downside about the resort was the Russians, they do come across as very rude and impolite, and can't seem to understand what a queue is, but then I suppose the British aren't angels historically.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and recommend the Tusan, it was much more than we expected - just be prepared to reserve your sunbed early it does get busy round that pool!

• Liked — Can't single out anything!
  • Disliked — The Russians
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tusan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!