“Very Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 148 hotels in Kusadasi
northampton
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have recently returned from a weeks holiday at Surmeli Efes Hotel. We requested a high level room on booking but on arrival at 2.30am we were allocated a lower floor room which was not a 4/5 star standard. We spoke to Miss Serap, who then contacted the duty manager Murat Burel and after being shown an upgraded room we were extremely happy and satisfied with the room not only being first class, but also the standard of customer service we received from
these two members of staff. This hotel is very well suited for two women holidaying alone (leaving the husbands behind) it was very safe with helpful and friendly staff. Food was good although a little repetitive. The entertainment need more attention, although it must be said that the residents did not give much support to the animation team who worked very hard. The turkish night is thoroughly recommended, together with the first class turkish bath and spa treatments taken on arrival. The spa staff were also very professional and polite. The rooms, grounds and pool areas were very clean and tidy. Only negative comment is that the hotel has a two hour transfer from the airport and stands on its own, although we knew this prior to arrival. The nearest shops and markets are a 4 lira bus ride to Kusadasi, bus picks up outside hotel.

Room Tip: High level rooms 6th floor or higher, facing pool or sea, corner rooms very good.

1,366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Firstly let me start off by saying if it was not for the repeitive food and the limited drink choices I would have given this hotel a higher rating but I suppose you do get what you pay for.
Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day at the Surmeli but come lunchtime and I do mean every lunchtime there was chips, pizza, burgers, salad and pasta.
In the evenings there was a choice of a couple of mains mostly stew based dishes, meatballs, liver. The salads were good but there is only so much salad you can eat ! The worst thing was the food was never hot it was always just warm and that is its biggest let down.
I have never been all inclusive to Europe and most people I spoke to said it was quite usual to only have a choice of a few drinks so if you like vodka, gin, amaretto, lager and wines you will be okay however do not expect the delicious cocktails that you get in the caribbean.
The hotel is about 15 mins bus ride from town so you cannot even stroll to a nearby restaurant. my fault I should have done a bit more research but this was a last minute break.

Room - We stayed in a superior room on the 11th Floor which overlooked the pool and had a seaview. The room was beautiful very modern with all the amenities you need. There is a fridge but the only thing in it is a bottle of water which is replenished everyday.

Public Areas - This hotel is gorgeous the lobby , bars , indoor pools , outdoor pools are all well looked after and there is plenty of sun loungers.

Beach- The beach is just okay I was not tempted to go into the sea but there was plenty of room and beds available.

Entertainment - There is extremely loud music by one of the pools but the bigger pool is quieter. The entertainment team Momo, Billy and Tatu are really friendly even if we did not take part in their activities or club dance. It was great getting to know them.
There is also a live band in the bar a couple of days in the week.

Staff- I found everyone I met very helpful and efficent at their jobs ( I didnt meet the chefs!!)
There seems to be lots of management walking around all the time not really doing much.

Weather - We had fantastic weather whilst we were there could not have asked for better

I must also mention that they have some sort of deal with a bar in town called Murphys they offer to take you there and bring you back . There is no mention of the fact that they expect you to spend £21 each for the privilege so be aware of this. It is much cheaper to get a dolmus there and back and then you can choose from all the different bars and restaurants in town and not spend a fortune !

We travelled to Ephesus by dolmus from right outside the hotel. There is a man who works for the hotel that will ask you which direction you want to go and then flags down the bus for you. It cost us 25 Lira entry fee and was well worth the visit the highlight of my trip.

If I could give any advice it would be to bring a bottle of spirits in with you from duty free along with biscuits and snacks especially if you have children as they do not serve anything apart from cakes between 4.30pm and 7.30pm.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
dorset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Certainly an impressive hotel upon arrival. After a speedy check in, we were taken to our allocated rooms. We had booked 2 superior rooms and at first wondered if the rooms were as requested. The rooms were in fact like any that one would expect in a decent 4/5 star hotel. On checking a picture in the lift, it confirmed that the rooms were , superior! We were on the 8th. floor with a good side view out to sea. The rooms were of a reasonable size,very clean and tidy,small balcony,large flatscreen t.v. We had requested a sunny balcony,but as the hotel faces west and all rooms,apart from suites, are situated on the sides of the hotel, the same is not possible.The season was beginning and during our 2 week stay the staff were busy sprucing up areas that had been closed during the winter months.The grounds surrounding the hotel are well cared for and during our stay lots of plants were being introduced throughout the gardens.Two of the three pools were open and it was never a problem finding sunbeds, all of which were in good condition and cleaned daily. The beach was a let down. The area looked as if clean golden sand had been put on top of the brownish natural sand of the area. Because of the sand, the sea had a murky colour,not too inviting. Te annimation team worked hard and focussed mainly on the younger families. The music by one of the pools was quite loud and repetative, not idealy suited o relaxing in the sunshine. Food and drink were available throughout the day. A big disappointment at most times was the food. The hotel is not featured in any British package holidays and therefore the food is more focussed on local ( no issues with this ) Eastern european and Russian guests.There were also lots of overnight tour groups, mixed nationalaties, in the hotel. There was always a selection of goulash type main courses and yes, liver, but also various guises of chicken,meatballs,fish and turkey.The food was seldom very hot and you found yourself waiting for a new tray to arrive from the kitchen. On 2 nights the potato offering was similar to Smash, brings back memories !! A good range of salads was available at all times, The sweets were as to be expected and the chefs took pride in their presentation of the array of cakes and local pastries. The service in the restaurant could be hit and miss, sometimes you were offered drinks ,at other times you had to ask . However ,the lunchtime pizzas and chips at the snack bar were good. Another disappointment ,no ice cream at lunch or dinner...a first in our many visits to Turkey. The location ,one could say, is in the middle of nowhere with no possibilities for an after meal stroll. However, local busses from outside the hotel will take you to Ephesus,Selkut ( good Saturday market ) and Kusadasi, with fares little more than a pound. Car hire can be arranged at the hotel for approx. £38 per day.One tip, book the smallest car suitable for your party , if the car hire company cannot supply it, you get a free upgrade . Also be aware of motorway charge systems .A day out to Paamukkale is a must, two and half hour drive, but well worth it. Overall we found the hotel to be well maintaned, very pleasant staff, although some members of the management team did their utmost to avoid eye contact with the guests. If you are considering this hotel, look at all the reviews available and make your own mind up. We will not revisit Surmmeli mainly due to location,food selection and that we still have lots of Turkey yet to visit.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have been updated
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks holiday at Surmeli Efes in Turkey. All I can say to people is to ignore the negative reviews of this hotel.

When arriving at the hotel, you are greeted by polite and helpful receptionist, someone is also with you immediately to take care of your bags. We arrived at 2 o'clock in the morning, however this did not stop them organising a sandwich and some drinks for us before we went to our rooms.

We were taken up to our room, which unfortunately for the gentleman with our bags, had to take them to the top floor of the apartments, which unlucky for him, there was no lift. we were taken to our room, where the gentleman explained basic aspects of the hotel (where the fridge was, how to work the aircon, electricity) and then left us to it.

The rooms in the hotel were amazing considering the price that we paid, there were 3 beds, and wet-room style bathroom and a balcony facing the pool.

One thing that I can say is that the animation team of the hotel really made our holiday. Momo, Billy and Tatoo are amazing. They were hilarious and always up for a joke with me and my girls. They would always come round the pool and speak to everyone individually, which was really nice. They were always offering different activities around the pool and they were very good not to continuously harass you, once you said you didn't want to participate, they would let you get on with what you were doing.

The food in the hotel was good, although there was alot of repetition, it was still nice none the less. The service in the restaurant was very quick, they were always around if you needed another drink, or your table clearing which made it a lot more enjoyable.

Overall, the holiday was amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. Momo, Billy and Tatoo are a real credit to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were a group of 10 people, stayed there for 2 weeks, everything was better than what we expected. the good thing about this hotel was the entertainment team. The 3 Tunisians guys ( Momo, Tattoo and Bily) were the best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As someone who has traveled a lot and been to many resorts around the world, I can safely say that I was not let down by Sumeli Efes, particularly the animation team was a great bonus to this beautiful resort. Two weeks we spent there, and not once did we feel bored or having nothing to do. The members of the animation team, particularly Billy, Momo and Tatoo were hardworking, friendly, energetic and super FUN! Thanks guys

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Portishead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

While writing this review I must keep in perspective that we only paid £299 ($465 USD) per person for a weeks all inclusive stay at the resort including flights from London and remind myself of what my Father used to say to me "Son, in this world you get what you pay for'.

We've been coming to Turkey for several years and for the past 7 years have gone back to the same hotel in Side, but this year we fancied a change of scenery and when we were offered this great deal we decided to try Kusadasi. On arrival the hotel facility looks spectacular with a cruise liner type architecture. The lobby is quite impressive and check in was quick and painless. We were given rooms on the 2nd floor which turns out to be Standard rooms awaiting a re-vamp. The room was quite grubby with dust accumulating in the corners like it hadn't been vacuumed for weeks.

Although arriving late we were told if we rushed then we could just make dinner as the restaurant was closing in 10 minutes. The food selection was cold although being kept in Bain Marie's and the waiting staff were quite grumpy. The signature dish of the day was Fried Liver and we thought that was all they had left for us to choose. Now I like liver and i was always told it was good for you as it contained high amounts of iron but this week it has taken it to a whole new level!...in fact I have consumed so much iron I frightened I am going to set the alarms off when I go back through airport security. So far we've been served it 4 times, and we still have one night to go. We've had it grilled, fried, and stir fried the only thing we haven't had is served with a be bechamel sauce which they seem to hide everything else with. The food is very very average at best.

Day 6 and the food hasn't improved, in fact meal times is just going through the motions, none of us look forward to it unlike other holidays where meal times were always a highlight and something to enjoy over a glass of wine and a chat with friends. Food is still served cold, in fact we've had our white wine served warmer than the food we've been eating. The service hasn't improved either and there seems to be more managers walking around than waiting staff. There are a couple of exceptions, particularly 'Tougut' in the main Efes restaurant, who seemed to enjoy his job and provided a good level of service. It got so bad that we ended up serving our own drinks from the waiters stations in the restaurant. This hotel is certainly punching above its weight! I am chuckling to myself as I write this as I am sat at the pool bar, watching a line of 9 guests waiting to be served by 1 overworked bartender while 3 managers look on! This is the first holiday where I have been looking forward to it coming to an end which is a great shame as we are with great company.

Unfortunately the hotel is so isolated that there is nowhere else to go unless you want a hefty cab fare to get into Kusadasi for some decent food and service. Again I have to remind myself that we did get a bargain but other people who have shared this experience paid top dollar! Speaking to lots of other guests they have had a similar experience although the ones that we spoke who have upgraded their rooms have been very pleased with their accommodation. We considered upgrading but I don't think it would have changed our view.). The main topic of conversation around the pool bar with other guests was the level of service and the food.

When we checked in we noticed that they were advertising the 4 star recommendation from Tripadvisor...the only thing I can think is they must post their own reviews or it was for a completely different hotel. Either that or the other reviewers have never been to a quality hotel in Turkey before. If I had to find one thing to give 5 stars to then it would be the weather, we couldn't fault it, along with the trip to Ephesus and the House of The Virgin Mary. If you are thinking about coming here then I would suggest you think twice. Would we come back again... Not even if they paid us. Back to the Sentido for us next year.

I wrote most of this review while on our holiday and have now returned back home early this morning. To give some credit we were not served Liver again on our last night, in fact the meal was the best we had and the service was good so maybe somebody has had a rocket up the proverbial backside! This could be a really good hotel if the managers pulled their finger out and managed the place.

Room Tip: Certianly go for an upraded room as the standard are not good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Surmeli Efes? Share your experiences!