“Entertainment team” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 149 Hotels in Kusadasi
London, United Kingdom
“Entertainment team”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were a group of 10 people, stayed there for 2 weeks, everything was better than what we expected. the good thing about this hotel was the entertainment team. The 3 Tunisians guys ( Momo, Tattoo and Bily) were the best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As someone who has traveled a lot and been to many resorts around the world, I can safely say that I was not let down by Sumeli Efes, particularly the animation team was a great bonus to this beautiful resort. Two weeks we spent there, and not once did we feel bored or having nothing to do. The members of the animation team, particularly Billy, Momo and Tatoo were hardworking, friendly, energetic and super FUN! Thanks guys

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Portishead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

While writing this review I must keep in perspective that we only paid £299 ($465 USD) per person for a weeks all inclusive stay at the resort including flights from London and remind myself of what my Father used to say to me "Son, in this world you get what you pay for'.

We've been coming to Turkey for several years and for the past 7 years have gone back to the same hotel in Side, but this year we fancied a change of scenery and when we were offered this great deal we decided to try Kusadasi. On arrival the hotel facility looks spectacular with a cruise liner type architecture. The lobby is quite impressive and check in was quick and painless. We were given rooms on the 2nd floor which turns out to be Standard rooms awaiting a re-vamp. The room was quite grubby with dust accumulating in the corners like it hadn't been vacuumed for weeks.

Although arriving late we were told if we rushed then we could just make dinner as the restaurant was closing in 10 minutes. The food selection was cold although being kept in Bain Marie's and the waiting staff were quite grumpy. The signature dish of the day was Fried Liver and we thought that was all they had left for us to choose. Now I like liver and i was always told it was good for you as it contained high amounts of iron but this week it has taken it to a whole new level!...in fact I have consumed so much iron I frightened I am going to set the alarms off when I go back through airport security. So far we've been served it 4 times, and we still have one night to go. We've had it grilled, fried, and stir fried the only thing we haven't had is served with a be bechamel sauce which they seem to hide everything else with. The food is very very average at best.

Day 6 and the food hasn't improved, in fact meal times is just going through the motions, none of us look forward to it unlike other holidays where meal times were always a highlight and something to enjoy over a glass of wine and a chat with friends. Food is still served cold, in fact we've had our white wine served warmer than the food we've been eating. The service hasn't improved either and there seems to be more managers walking around than waiting staff. There are a couple of exceptions, particularly 'Tougut' in the main Efes restaurant, who seemed to enjoy his job and provided a good level of service. It got so bad that we ended up serving our own drinks from the waiters stations in the restaurant. This hotel is certainly punching above its weight! I am chuckling to myself as I write this as I am sat at the pool bar, watching a line of 9 guests waiting to be served by 1 overworked bartender while 3 managers look on! This is the first holiday where I have been looking forward to it coming to an end which is a great shame as we are with great company.

Unfortunately the hotel is so isolated that there is nowhere else to go unless you want a hefty cab fare to get into Kusadasi for some decent food and service. Again I have to remind myself that we did get a bargain but other people who have shared this experience paid top dollar! Speaking to lots of other guests they have had a similar experience although the ones that we spoke who have upgraded their rooms have been very pleased with their accommodation. We considered upgrading but I don't think it would have changed our view.). The main topic of conversation around the pool bar with other guests was the level of service and the food.

When we checked in we noticed that they were advertising the 4 star recommendation from Tripadvisor...the only thing I can think is they must post their own reviews or it was for a completely different hotel. Either that or the other reviewers have never been to a quality hotel in Turkey before. If I had to find one thing to give 5 stars to then it would be the weather, we couldn't fault it, along with the trip to Ephesus and the House of The Virgin Mary. If you are thinking about coming here then I would suggest you think twice. Would we come back again... Not even if they paid us. Back to the Sentido for us next year.

I wrote most of this review while on our holiday and have now returned back home early this morning. To give some credit we were not served Liver again on our last night, in fact the meal was the best we had and the service was good so maybe somebody has had a rocket up the proverbial backside! This could be a really good hotel if the managers pulled their finger out and managed the place.

Room Tip: Certianly go for an upraded room as the standard are not good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My family and I stayed for one week and we didn't have time to get bored. The animation team kept us busy and always called us for all the activities. We had a lot of fun with them Tatoo, Momo, Billy and the rest of the team, we just came back and we miss them already. The service was great always with a smile and very polite. i'm really sad that my trip was so short...I would have liked to stay at least another week...Hugs animation team:*!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

To start off, this is NOT a 5* hotel it's a JOKE! booked a standard double room (sea view) which was completely dated with an awful view of a mountain an the roof of fhe indoor swimming pool with aircon that didn't work so hardly a sea view. we asked to be moved to another room and they showed us a room with two single beds (even though we are a couple) we ended up paying £60 for an upgrade HIGHLY RECOMMEND make sure you haggle as they tried to make us pay £110 for the upgrade, of you have ready booked then upgrade with your travel agent as it will be around £30! The animation team are annoying and ask you to write good reviews about them which I find highly unprofessional!

The food is bearable but repetitive as they seem to only accommodate for Russians, Germans and Arabs. It seemed a lot of people we spoke to felt generally ill over there holiday and as did we the food is never actually hot only ever slightly warm which is worrying when you have meats that can be dangerous such as chicken.

The snack bar was good until we found a cooked fly on the pizza as hard as a nail where it has been frazzled by the heat of the cooker.

The music around the pool is controlled by what they like to call a "DJ" but this DJ only seems to have one CD as its the same songs day in day out which makes lounging by the pool depressing.

We had an argument whilst being there which was not sorted by the management and then all bar staff and waiters become rude and made you feel uncomfortable within the premises.

They are very angry workers and clearly not happy and feel it is acceptable to take this out on people who have paid hardworking cash to get away, absolutely disgusted and complaints are NOT dealt with!

Birds fly over your food and over the restaurant/buffet in general which is very unhygienic! Also check glasses as usually aren't cleaned properly and the plates are mucky!

If you need help with anything within the hotel you are better off speaking to fellow holiday makers rather than the staff as they do not have the time of day for you!

ADALAND water park which was offered to us by a rep within the hotel premises ripped us off as 3 of the slides weren't even in use which we're the biggest ones!

I have stayed in turkey 5 times from marmaris to Antalya to Istanbul etc an this was by far the worst to stay in, never been in a fasinity with such rude and unhelpful people.

The shops within the hotel are ridiculously over priced so makes you feel like you are within a prison 9TL (Turkish lira) for a bag of crisps which is around £3!

Also do not exchange money in the hotel they rip you off as it is 2.6 but in kusadasi town it is 2.77 doesn't seem a lot but it really is!

Disgusted with Surmeli Efes, and one last note, the beach is grotty with sharp bits in the sand and disgusting water so didn't even entertain the idea of going in further than my ankle!

If you can cancel I would if not then upgrade at least that will be one decent thing for your stay within this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
Truro, Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My mum and I stayed here for 10 days in April for my 21st birthday. We stayed in one of the little apartment blocks down near the security gates. The room was really spacious and perfect for the 2 of us. The hotel itself is lovely and very clean. We ate at the main restaurant for nearly every meal. Breakfast was ok but not much choice for English people although the pancakes and omlette's were lovely. The food does get a little repetitive, we lived off meatballs and rice for lunch and tea! But the food is lovely and lots of choice including different salads, vegetarian dishes etc. There is also an a la carte part of the restaurant which you have to book the day before you want to eat there. A table was decorated for my birthday and a cake was made (for a small charge). The waitors are really friendly and made sure I was happy. There is a snack bar near the kids pool which offers chips, pizza and pide in the afternoons.
There is an indoor swimming pool which is heated, this was busy for the first couple days we were there as the weather was rubbish. However, the weather got better so the outdoor pools started to get busy.
Where do I start with the animation team?! You have to keep one eye open at all times as they are always trying to have a laugh and mess around. Big thankyou to Momo, Billy, Fatima, Lale and Volkan! Without the animation team we wouldn't have enjoyed our holiday as much. Also Kamil who is the handyman for backstage, I hope he's still got baby Gangnam! There is always something going on such as volleyball, darts, French boulles, archery etc. Who can forget the club dance of Hep Beraber? I've had this song in my head since we came back 11 days ago and it is now my ringtone! The evening shows are different every night, our favourites were Turkish night and the comedy show. There is also live music 3 times a week in the piano bar.
The hotel works with Murphy's bar in the centre of town. They charge £15 for a return taxi, any main meal and dessert from the menu and your first drink. The food was lovely and we enjoyed ourselves but the guys who come around the hotel kept pestering us to book again which we didn't like. We found a little restaurant called Golden Boys, just past the police station and down a little side street which had the same offer and included a starter for £21. The boys in there made us feel really welcome and we preferred it in there.
There is a dolmus stop just outside the hotel and it is 4tl to get into the centrum. It is a 15 minute drive to the town.
We are going to book to go back to the Surmeli in October for 2 weeks this time, just hope all the staff are still there! To the animation team...Pikachu and Mamma Mia miss you all!! x

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I'm going in this hotel for 5 years now and it is everithing perfect. The food is good and variate, drinks good. Personal nice. The beach is clean. Good entertaiment. Can wait to go this year again. The animation team is very frindly. You can go to a la carte restaurant if you don' t want to eat in the main reastaurant. The parking lot is guarded and is enough place for everybody. There are 3 pools. One of that is for persons that want a quiet place and the other 2 is with music. There is a pool for kids with a little waterslide. First year we go there we ware in our honeymoon and they saw that in our identification acts and they send to our room fruits, wine and cookies with a congratulation card.

Room Tip: All rooms have seaside view and the superior is nicer
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Surmeli Efes? Share your experiences!