“Don't bother” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 149 Hotels in Kusadasi
Bucks UK
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere, the sea is really murky and made us all sick. They only cater for Eastern Europeans or Russians. We were blanked at bars and in the self service restaurant by waiters, so we had to get rude to get drinks with dinner. Our teenage children were in an apartment block across the grounds from our hotel room, so had to keep going back and forth to check them. Have never been made to feel so unwelcome anywhere. Our cleaner, bless her, changed our beds and recommended medicine (by sign language) so we could stop being sick. The only good thing was the cheese sandwiches by the pool at 5pm.

Room Tip: Ask for another hotel somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Surmeli Efes is situated by the beach- which is lovely if you are there on a beach holiday. There is nothing else than beach and some hotels- no shops, markets etc. Dolmuses right outside the maingate for Kusadasi (4 Lira) or taxi which is overpriced.
Allthough the hotel has shops in the lobby I strongly suggest you remember to pack everything- the shops are not expensive, they are insultingly overpriced. Many items will cost you more than in your homecountry.

For a 5 star turkish hotel I would rate it correctly for its amineties and facilities, which are kept clean and well presented.. Huge lobbyarea, lobbybar with semi-outdoor section where smokers can sit and freeze in winter time.. The indoor pool is accible from the lobby and if you use it during mealhours you will be on display for people in the restaurant- like a public swimmingpool at home. There is a overpriced spa section.. Can not comment on entertainments etc. did not use. I thought I booked a relaxing winter stay in Kusadasi.

I was wrong. Unfortunately the hotel has not informed its suppliers that they are doing refurbishment work on the lower floors.. So if you are on floor 2-3-4 you will be subjected to 5star drilling, hammering and other building noises from morning to late afternoon.. Day 2 of my stay I went to frontdesk to complain- the person told me to come back in a few days...Not really. I went to my room to check out which somehow made them change their mind- I was then offered a new room- and they specificly told me it was an upgrade free of charge....well I was not looking for an upgrade, just a room without building noises.. After this the attitude from frontdesk staff changed completely- I was simply ignored...Nothing 5star about that.

During the week the hotel is invaded by tourguests staying for 1 or 2 nights so mealtimes can be quite stressy. During week-ends new rich turkish families with 5star attitude take over the hotel. If you have stayed with russian guests you know what I mean. Allthough the hotel offers plenty of entertainment for children, their parents let them use the corridors as playingground- that means knocking on your door, lots of noise. Arabs and turks likes to take all food to their tables- which also means that you will have the leftovers if you are not fast enough.

Well the Rooms: lower floors are the old ones- not really 5star in its decor, but I dont mind. There is a telly with several channels in many languages, aircon which might have worked- but all we needed at this time of year was some heating as it is quite cold by the seaside- not provided you will freeze evenings/nights. Nothing 5star about that.Ask for extra blankets- bed was comfy indeed. Bathrooms fine and plenty of hot water- no stoppers so a bath is out of the question. Plenty of storage space and balcony. There is a safe for an extra cost- which I dont really understand as it is in the room- nothing 5star about that. The updated rooms have a fresher decor, new paint and upgraded bathrooms- many slobby details and same facilities as the non refurbiished- would not pay much extra for that to be honest. Thumbs up for the cleaners- allthoug very slow there were ever so friendly and helpful and cleaning was good.

You better choose all-incl there are no other possabilities in the vicinity. Coffee is included but cappucino is extra?? it all comes from the same machine, just press another button- nothing 5star about that. The juices are off course limonade with very little water in it- taste horrible.
On several occacions I had cups and glasses which were dirty- disguisting.. Some bar staff were very friendly while others ignored you- nothing 5star about that.

The restaurant is big. Allthough birds are lovely, they do NOT belong in a restaurant. Have a look at your chair they all have birdie nam nam on it. If you touch it and touch your bread you might get sick. The birds fly around over the food- remember birds pee and sh.. too. If you leave your table for a second they will be there on your plate. Might seem funny- but it is a health hazard. Bread are not removed during the day- just think how many birds who have been on the cuttingboard between meals? By the way, breadselection is bad- not even the lovely fresh turkisk flatbread. Dinner is prepared during afternoon- then re-heated and will be lukewarm to cold at dinnertime. Much of this food you will find next day for lunch- reheated once again- and the taste is not good.. For a 5star the food is bland, mostly tasteless and very repetetive. Unfortunately I saw "chefs" stading scratching their privates and then handle food- nothing 5star about that. Service is slobby- even out of peaktime the waiters dont even clear your table. Some staff here are very friendly, most are not..
Upon entering the restaurant there are several official looking persons standing bythe door- but they dont greet you- have no idea of why they are there but they are not 5star.

I had better I had worse- but if this hotel claims 5stars they have several things to improve. Just get the best deal if you want to stay on the beach and you can have a lovely holiday here. with some improvements the hotel will be able to justify its pricelevel. and its 5 stars..

Room Tip: well right now you need to insist to be placed over level 5 to avoid building noises.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is situated in on an idyllic stretch of coast with the beach a stone's throw from the rooms. The food was very varied and of surprisingly high quality, the waiters were friendly and willing to help, though at times they didn't offer drinks. There's a choice of bars and pools throughout the day, the hot and alcoholic drinks were particularly good!

You also have the opportunity to arrange a restaurant style meal during your stay, at the time we were there there was the choice of an Italian meal (which we found very good) and a fish meal (I'm not a fish kinda guy). The Ottoman Café offered the opportunity to smoke a hookah and drink some tea and coffee by the beautifully lit water feature at night - a very enjoyable experience that we engaged in a number of times during our stay.

The rooms were comfortable and clean and housekeeping was of a very high quality.

My only possible criticism would be the distance from Kusadasi. While the dolmus does pass right outside and it is very reasonably priced, it is not as easy to get into the town and as such we only spent a few days of our two weeks exploring Kusadasi.

We had a fantastic time here and would definitely recommend it to young couples, families and for friends holidays.

Room Tip: Don't go promo! Balcony is a must!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ballygannon, Wicklow, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have just returned from a 2 week stay in the surmeli efes hotel and my honest op ions are that it is no way near a 5 star hotel 3 or 4 start would be more aprreatie to rate this hotel. we have been to the surmeli efes hotel before a couple of years ago and it was lovely but after rutting this year we have changed our minds that hotel is very dated adn needs alot of work done on it in our room the air conditioning didn't work and floor underneath the carpet was on show and in the main areas of the hotel like the lobby the floors were all cracked and the seated were all in bits. it was also very hard to find a seat and dinner and breakfast time as their was that much people their the food selection was crap I myself am a vegterian and their was barley anything to eat for me most of the time all I had to eat was rice and salad and most of the hotel staff were so ignorant the surmeli efes hotel is more suited to German and Romania or Turkish but it is not a good hotel for Irish or English
I wounded recommend this hotel to anyone I wouldn't even recommend it to my worst enmie
if you want a horrible hotel and horrible holiday and horrible food and ingnorent staff this hotel is the place to go....
I will be returning to turkey this year but I will never stay in this hotel again

Room Tip: make sure the air-conditioning works and make sure your not stuck at the back of the building so you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

we stayed at this hotel last year, and liked it enough to be going back in May, rooms are extremely clean and comfortable, the food is good, always something you like, the staff are friendly and helpful, great beach, choice of pools, the entertainment varies a bit, we found the best bit was exploring for ourselves, before you pay the Reps prices, check out the bus stops at the end of the drive, the bus inspector there is very helpful and will advise you on what buses to take and where to go, in one direction Kusadasi town and the market etc in the other Efeses all for a few turkish lire, its easy and fun!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Arrived at the Surmeli Efes for a Christmas Break ,with a group of friends ,Really Pleased with the Hotel !!! Food and Drink plentyfull ,only one bar open which was quite acceptable as its winter and limited clients ,Only negative was the cats and birds flying round the restraunt landing on the food especially the salad bar !!! There wasn't any entertainment on But Kevin from the animation went out of his way to put some on for us , It was a bit noisey as they are renovating some of the rooms , would certainly would go back .

Room Tip: 11th floor is a great sea view !!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

ROOM: POOR
POOLS: GOOD
ENTERTAINMENT: GOOD
MARKET: AMAZING

The only positives I have about this holiday are their pools are very nice and big and the entertainment is okay.

Now for the negatives.
When me and my boyfriend arrived to this hotel it was about 2 in the morning and the reception staff who were SO rude ( they hate the English ) gave us a PROMO room which basically was disabled and had no balcony. We actually got woken up by a maid on the roof cleaning our window.

The room was very dated, the air con was noisy that we could not sleep with it on and did not work at all!

After a few days of dealing with rude reception staff by the 3rd night we were moved to a normal room with a balcony however it was still dated and the air con was so bad we had to ask reception for a fan (which they were obviously rude about and was half broken). The reception staff also TRIED to charge us £10 a night to move to a normal room but we spoke to our rep and luckily he sorted this.

The entertainment staff were actually quite pleasant and they did really fun water aerobics which we enjoyed, however the pool was quite cold.

Also the water park was very fun!

The food. This was awful. On the first day I was really ill constantly over the toilet being sick, the next da my boyfriend got it. And we are normally never ill on holiday and so it was definitely down to their poor quality and unhygienic food! One night we saw one man eating from a bowl of food with his bare hands!

Only reason why I would ever go back to Turkey is because of the fake clothes they do at the markets. This is something you have to invest in and keep haggling with them as its possible to get things ridiculously cheap!

Overall, this was one of my worst holdiays and I have been all over the world and I would NEVER return to this hotel. I don't have a clue how they get away with saying their hotel is a 5 star. I have been to 5 star hotels and this definitely isn't one. I have also been to 3 star hotels BETTER than this.

YOUR MADIF YOU GO.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't try to give you a 'promo room'
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sadokusadasi, Guest Relations Manager at Surmeli Efes, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear guest,as we always say that please do not give wrong info to the others.You buy PROMO room and now you make claim and spend bad words about the reception staff.You are doing this because to change your room with another room without any supplement .Please read rewiev just below you and compare with yours,how com that two different person makes positive and negative rewiev in the same time.Before you acuse someone or the company always be fare.we respect if you come one more time or not but always give right info.We are not able to run after every guest and try to warn them ,if you see someone trying to get the food at the buffet with their hands you could easily told us and could be warned from our side.Maybe you stayed with us or not but isnt it too late to write a rewiev after the summer season,why didn't you give your kind opinion before,for which reason you are writing now ?

Been to Surmeli Efes? Share your experiences!