“Christmas Family Break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 155 Hotels in Kusadasi
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Christmas Family Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Arrived at the Surmeli Efes for a Christmas Break ,with a group of friends ,Really Pleased with the Hotel !!! Food and Drink plentyfull ,only one bar open which was quite acceptable as its winter and limited clients ,Only negative was the cats and birds flying round the restraunt landing on the food especially the salad bar !!! There wasn't any entertainment on But Kevin from the animation went out of his way to put some on for us , It was a bit noisey as they are renovating some of the rooms , would certainly would go back .

Room Tip: 11th floor is a great sea view !!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Greek first

ROOM: POOR
POOLS: GOOD
ENTERTAINMENT: GOOD
MARKET: AMAZING

The only positives I have about this holiday are their pools are very nice and big and the entertainment is okay.

Now for the negatives.
When me and my boyfriend arrived to this hotel it was about 2 in the morning and the reception staff who were SO rude ( they hate the English ) gave us a PROMO room which basically was disabled and had no balcony. We actually got woken up by a maid on the roof cleaning our window.

The room was very dated, the air con was noisy that we could not sleep with it on and did not work at all!

After a few days of dealing with rude reception staff by the 3rd night we were moved to a normal room with a balcony however it was still dated and the air con was so bad we had to ask reception for a fan (which they were obviously rude about and was half broken). The reception staff also TRIED to charge us £10 a night to move to a normal room but we spoke to our rep and luckily he sorted this.

The entertainment staff were actually quite pleasant and they did really fun water aerobics which we enjoyed, however the pool was quite cold.

Also the water park was very fun!

The food. This was awful. On the first day I was really ill constantly over the toilet being sick, the next da my boyfriend got it. And we are normally never ill on holiday and so it was definitely down to their poor quality and unhygienic food! One night we saw one man eating from a bowl of food with his bare hands!

Only reason why I would ever go back to Turkey is because of the fake clothes they do at the markets. This is something you have to invest in and keep haggling with them as its possible to get things ridiculously cheap!

Overall, this was one of my worst holdiays and I have been all over the world and I would NEVER return to this hotel. I don't have a clue how they get away with saying their hotel is a 5 star. I have been to 5 star hotels and this definitely isn't one. I have also been to 3 star hotels BETTER than this.

YOUR MADIF YOU GO.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't try to give you a 'promo room'
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sadokusadasi, Guest Relations Manager at Surmeli Efes, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear guest,as we always say that please do not give wrong info to the others.You buy PROMO room and now you make claim and spend bad words about the reception staff.You are doing this because to change your room with another room without any supplement .Please read rewiev just below you and compare with yours,how com that two different person makes positive and negative rewiev in the same time.Before you acuse someone or the company always be fare.we respect if you come one more time or not but always give right info.We are not able to run after every guest and try to warn them ,if you see someone trying to get the food at the buffet with their hands you could easily told us and could be warned from our side.Maybe you stayed with us or not but isnt it too late to write a rewiev after the summer season,why didn't you give your kind opinion before,for which reason you are writing now ?
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel was brilliant we arrived, walked into reception (no body to take our bags but sure they would if you asked) was greeted with a welcome drink and shown to our room. We were in 320 I think was ok bathroom wasn't as clean as I would like and wasn't big enough for three of us.
My mistake i payed a little extra and upgraded to an apartment (much better and modernised) lounge, huge bathroom, and bedroom. Staff were brilliant they moved it all for us.
Staff couldn't of been more welcoming, friendly and great with all ages.
I got engaged whilst on my holiday and the hotel made a huge effort to put petals in my room swans made from towels, heart ballons and a special table for dinner.
I can not wait to go back again and am sure I will enjoy many more holidays here again.

Plus visit murphys and have a great night for cheap.

• Stayed May 2012
Trentham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Surmeli effes- A great place to go with your children, their are 2 waterparks there with millions of slides for children and adulrs, you will love it. The hotel is very clean and their is lots to do for everyone, if your an adult and you want peace their is a adult pool where children are not allowed but dont worry kids, there is another 3 pools for you (not including the sea)! The food is delicous, some days it might not be what you want but if you like pancakes, YOU WILL LIKE IT! I garantee you will have an amazing time if you visit surmeli, I caem back and was as brown as mud, it is VERY hot! Hope you found this helpfull! Good luck!x

Room Tip: The apartments!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Medias, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

First of all ,I have to say that it wasn't the first time when being in Turkey.In the past years we have been in Turkey too, but at different hotels.
I have to tell you that the hotel is very big and nice -that ,you will see in my pictures.
The room was quite big and clean,with a little balcony -but that didn't bothered us .The air conditioning of our room it was so bad,it hardly worked.On our floor, the doors would open only by old keys not key card.
House keeping were not every day and they did not clean the rooms very good.The towels in our room were changed every 2nd day.
The fridge in our room was stocked with: 1 tin of cola, 1 tin of fanta, 1 tin of sprite and a fizzy water. Once these have been used you will have to pay to have any of them.There was a limited water bottles available, in our room we get 1 bottle of water a day.
The food was generally good and diversified.
There is wifi present throughout the hotel and rooms however the signal strength is extremely weak .
The biggest problem we had had it was with the staff people-they were not friendly at all!!!!They didnt look happy working at this hotel and they were always indiferrent and bored!!!
The beach of the hotel was very close to hotel. It was sandy and clean.
I would recommmend but not like a 5 star hotel!!!

Room Tip: Choose the superior rooms with sea view!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofia, Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Only will say that, when came the time to go back, we want it to go.
I can't wаit the summer, to go back there...
The personnel is very nice, the rooms are comfortable, the food is delicious, and the beach.... o the beach - huge and with the most small-sized sands. Everything is clean and tidy.
We love you Surmeli!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hi there,

Just got back from this hotel on Thursday.

The hotel itself is nice (more in line with a four star hotel rather than 5 star though - not that there is anything particularly wrong with it).

The staff are friendly enough when approached but do not tend to like to come up to you to ask if you need anything. Also they dont seem particularly sincere but that is down to interpretation I guess. I am not too bothered about this but we experienced what we felt was a more sincere and warm type of service in a five star hotel in Egypt (Baron Resort)... so we expect the same here.
However there is one waiter who we were very happy with and who we tipped at the end of our stay as he was very proactive in ensuring my family were catered for. I have forgotten your name sir but would like to thank you again on here...!

The hotel in winter is quite quiet apart from the weekend before new years day when chinese and german tourists checked-in to celebrate the new year.

The hotel rooms are clean but we did need to ask the cleaners to reclean one of our rooms as soon as we checked in as it wasnt up to the required standard.
The food served was generally good and the variety we feel was fine for our stay.
The one odd thing was that we couldn't order turkish tea in the dining area but had to go to the lobby however this is not too big of a deal.

I would recommend that the hotel ensure snacks are served in the lobby bar throughout the day rather than a few short hours in the afternoon (when we were out and about in Kusadasi etc).

Furthermore when we stayed at the Baron Resort in sharm el sheikh, the hotel gave us all packed lunches whenever we went out on day long excursions (as we had paid for an all inclusive stay). This hotel flatly refused to provide any sandwiches eventhough our stay was also all inclusive. We would expect this service from a 5 star hotel.

I can see some people complaining on here about the birds and cats (I counted only two) allowed to roam the hotel. This was a good touch we felt as they didn't get in our way when we were eating and it felt nice for example to eat breakfast and watch small birds fly over to occupied tables to take a quick peck at some left over bread etc... great photo opportunities for animal lovers. The birds do not fly over to your table when you are still eating or over the buffet food as it is covered so there isn't a health issue here we feel.

The gym and games room were a big let down.

There were only two or three running machines working and these required a tag to be collected from reception which meant that you would need to keep checking with reception to see if one was free before going to the gym. The running machines themselves are not flat with the ground so you are always running uphill which will upset your training regime (if you have one). The other training equipment was very limited in terms of the range of weights available but you can get by with what is on offer I guess.

The games room was the biggest disappointment. You need to pay for everything (including pool / snooker tables) and the arcade machines are not switched on until the evening. This left us a little bored.

There is wifi present throughout the hotel and rooms however the signal strength is extremely weak (even in the lobby / reception area) and so the internet kept getting disconnected on both my phone and galaxy pc tablet which was really annoying.

In the winter only the indoor pool and the indoor jacuzzi are available.
The swimming pool was clean and warm whenever we used it so that was great.
The jazuzzi was cold however so the heating needs to be turned up there.
The steam room was also off however the sauna was working fine.

The hotel is located a short bus ride away from Kusadasi (4 TL each way) which takes you along a scenic route to the central market (highly recommended).
I did enquire with the reception to see if there were any excursions however I was told that no excursions are conducted from the hotel in the winter. The reception staff were did not offer any other alternatives which I meant I had to take the bus into Kusadasi and try to find an agent there (which I managed to do!). I managed to arrange flights and a private tour to Istanbul for a day. This is an example of how unhelpful the reception staff can be. It would have been helpful if they had a list of private tour operators or agents they could recommend so I wouldnt have needed to go searching in Kusadasi.

One memorable moment I experienced was when I was waiting at the bus stop outside the hotel. I had the amazing opportunity to take a photo of a wild boar which decided to cross from the long grassy plain next to the hotel to the hill opposite... cant believe my luck... !

Overall it was good holiday, the weather was abit wet for the first two days but was generally sunny and warm during the day. At night, you will need to wear a coat as it is quite cold in the winter however if you are staying in the hotel, you will be fine.

I would go back again however I would ask the hotel to consider my recommendations above to make it a truly five star experience.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor which was ok but you need to be on the higher floors (e.g. 11 for a bet...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Surmeli Efes? Share your experiences!