“Above expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 149 Hotels in Kusadasi
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Above expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the Derici for two weeks, it was rated as three star when we booked ,Bur I would definitely give it a four and a half star, it is situated right on the sea front and even though it was on a busy road for traffic, that was not a problem.
the hotel was immaculately clean throughout and the bed room you just could not fault, the restaurant provide a good varied menu and the food was to a very good standard.

Also I would recommend this hotel for wheelchair or mobility scooter users as there is a good ramp at the front of the hotel even though it is a little bit on the steep side, the staff are very friendly and nothing was to much trouble, especially the porter who was very amused by my scooter and couldn't wait to try it out!

It was only a couple of minutes walk round the corner and wow! you were straight into the activities and the Bazar'

All in all if anyone hasn't been to Turkey, then Kusadasi is a must and needless to say the Turks get ten out of ten for hospitality.

Would we go back again well,, yes yes yes ! John&Irene North yorkshire

Room Tip: No tip they are all of a very high standard.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Checked in late at night, the porter insisted that he take all bags to peoples rooms, it arrived a couple of hours later 6am. Not very happy when i didn't tip him! He did ask me during the week to give him 40YTL for 20 euro coins, a quater of his monthly wage for 2 hours work, Nice!!!
The only nice thing about breakfast was the view of the sea. The hotel is located across the road from the promanade and is in the centre of town so no dolmus or taxi fares which saves you alot of money.
A bottle of Effs costs the european about 3 euro (6YTL)! 8euro for Bud or Heineken and the locals pay 1YTL for same premium beers. Guess who's being "ripped off". Bar street is even more expensive and this is typical all over turkey.
The Hotel decor is very 70's. Rooms are big enough with mini bar. The swimming pool is very small, it would have to be its on the roof!
Nice staff, oh yes redecorate your hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

overall good hotel but a bit worn out.breakfast is superb with the sea view . staff are helpful which is a plus. the bath room is alwayz wet probably due to a leak in the tub. funny poster in the elevator asking guest not to bring drinks from outside

• Stayed February 2013
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Derici in June 2012. The rooms are clean but a bit dated. Yes the view is fantastic. The food at dinner was really disappointing. It was more like the fast food variety. We stayed at the Sozer hotel which is closeby in 2011 which is 3 star and a lot cheaper and the food there was way nicer, the same views and same location, so we are going back to the Sozer in June this year. Dont be put off by the 3 star rating of the Sozer. If you are spending a few days in Kusadasi its ideal.

Room Tip: The higher the room obviously the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

me and my famey whent to this hotel my gf and the food was crap and look off and the poll was so tiney and the staf was not nite and my gf was on hire on in the room and the mades sines l have to pay 80 pond dost to say in a room whot a joke 1 of the wirse hotels l have sad derici hotel ever old rooms and cold my mum dad add bad stumke pands from the food for the hotel l have add beter hotels then is in my life time not go u be world stay a way never a gen terrible sives and hote manger was rood we did not get a see vove never a gen l going to this hotel

Room Tip: whot a was of a holday
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the hotel Derici in late-2012 and was generally pleased with the overall experience. As indicated in many of the other reviews, the hotel is a little dated. You can really see this with the carpeting and some of the furnishings. Nevertheless, they took pretty good care of me here, and I loved the nice balcony and seaside view from my upper-floor room.

The room was sufficiently spacious for my needs, and the bathroom was fine. I had enough hot water for my showers. The beds were small and a little too soft for my back. Although the furniture in the room was somewhat dated and insubstantial, I did have the storage space I needed for a three-night stay. The 'included' breakfast buffet was fairly good but nothing special.

Getting here from the train station in Selçuk required hiring a taxi, as the buses and shuttles that run from Selçuk to Kuşadası were not readily available when I arrived at the train station. However, the taxi ride was had at a reasonable cost. When I traveled from Kuşadası back over to Ephesus (near Selçuk), the hotel gave me pretty good directions on how to use the buses and shuttles, thus saving me money.

Frankly, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the town of Kuşadası. Sure, it is a seaside drop-off point for the cruise ships, but I enjoyed some of the busy restaurants and the shops along the waterfront boulevard that cater to the cruise ship passengers. The coffee shop right in front of the Derici is a nice place for coffee, tea and a pastry or other dessert. The clerk at the hotel Derici front desk always gave me good directions to restaurants, ATMs and even a local laundry. There is a large taxi stand just steps away from the Derici's front door.

It was here, at the hotel Derici, that I decided to go for a steam, sauna and full massage. That was a very relaxing experience, which I can recommend. Their price is decent too.

In retrospect, I am pleased that I chose to stay in Kuşadası as my base for visiting Ephesus. Everything worked out well. And the hotel Derici gave me plenty of opportunity to sample the "festive, seaside resort" atmosphere.

Only two things occurred that I did not expect: they asked me to fully pre-pay with my credit card at the time of check-in. That request is not so unusual in Turkey, but I just did not anticipate it from my prior review or use of their website. I complied, and it all worked out well.

The second issue was after check-out, when they actually telephoned me about 30 minutes after I had departed Kuşadası in a taxi for Izmir, simply to ask if I had used a fruit juice drink from the service bar in my room. This was a stunner that really made me shake my head with laughter. Earlier, they even had sent someone up to check that issue while I was still standing there at the front desk to check out. No, I had not obtained that juice drink from their service bar, but instead I had bought it a day earlier at a mini-mart in Kuşadası. In fact, the type of juice drink was clearly different than the ones they had in the service bar. Anyone should have been able to tell the difference. So I found it rather hilarious that they later called me in my airport-bound taxi via my taxi driver's mobile phone just to ask me about an empty juice drink carton that they later found in the wastebasket. They accepted my assurance that I had not failed to pay for something out of the service bar, and that was that. But I still marveled at how weird the whole thing was and how miserly this made them come off. No hard feelings, but it was just an "eye-roller" for me.

In summary, if you adjust your expectations to reality, you can enjoy this hotel and the seaside resort town of Kuşadası. Sure, things may seem a little dated, and they are. But I for one had fun here.

Room Tip: Tell them when you make the reservation if you want a sea-front room with a high floor. If they can...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

the hotel is old but well maintained. They have clean rooms, friendly staff, and good WIFI connection. However we experienced trouble using the phone line and the elevator. The elevator has no detector, it just opens and closes even if someone was still on the door of the elevator (ouch..). Breakfast was ok, it had less options. The location of the hotel is great, 5 minutes away from restaurants and shopping centre.

Room Tip: beware of the elevator if you are travelling with children
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Derici Hotel? Share your experiences!