“excellent location but need upgrades” 4 of 5 stars

You added Derici Hotel to your Saves list
Derici Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ataturk Bulvari 42/1, Kusadasi 09400, Turkey   |
Ranked #26 of 147 hotels in Kusadasi
“excellent location but need upgrades”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

overall good hotel but a bit worn out.breakfast is superb with the sea view . staff are helpful which is a plus. the bath room is alwayz wet probably due to a leak in the tub. funny poster in the elevator asking guest not to bring drinks from outside

• Stayed February 2013

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Derici in June 2012. The rooms are clean but a bit dated. Yes the view is fantastic. The food at dinner was really disappointing. It was more like the fast food variety. We stayed at the Sozer hotel which is closeby in 2011 which is 3 star and a lot cheaper and the food there was way nicer, the same views and same location, so we are going back to the Sozer in June this year. Dont be put off by the 3 star rating of the Sozer. If you are spending a few days in Kusadasi its ideal.

Room Tip: The higher the room obviously the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

me and my famey whent to this hotel my gf and the food was crap and look off and the poll was so tiney and the staf was not nite and my gf was on hire on in the room and the mades sines l have to pay 80 pond dost to say in a room whot a joke 1 of the wirse hotels l have sad derici hotel ever old rooms and cold my mum dad add bad stumke pands from the food for the hotel l have add beter hotels then is in my life time not go u be world stay a way never a gen terrible sives and hote manger was rood we did not get a see vove never a gen l going to this hotel

Room Tip: whot a was of a holday
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the hotel Derici in late-2012 and was generally pleased with the overall experience. As indicated in many of the other reviews, the hotel is a little dated. You can really see this with the carpeting and some of the furnishings. Nevertheless, they took pretty good care of me here, and I loved the nice balcony and seaside view from my upper-floor room.

The room was sufficiently spacious for my needs, and the bathroom was fine. I had enough hot water for my showers. The beds were small and a little too soft for my back. Although the furniture in the room was somewhat dated and insubstantial, I did have the storage space I needed for a three-night stay. The 'included' breakfast buffet was fairly good but nothing special.

Getting here from the train station in Selçuk required hiring a taxi, as the buses and shuttles that run from Selçuk to Kuşadası were not readily available when I arrived at the train station. However, the taxi ride was had at a reasonable cost. When I traveled from Kuşadası back over to Ephesus (near Selçuk), the hotel gave me pretty good directions on how to use the buses and shuttles, thus saving me money.

Frankly, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the town of Kuşadası. Sure, it is a seaside drop-off point for the cruise ships, but I enjoyed some of the busy restaurants and the shops along the waterfront boulevard that cater to the cruise ship passengers. The coffee shop right in front of the Derici is a nice place for coffee, tea and a pastry or other dessert. The clerk at the hotel Derici front desk always gave me good directions to restaurants, ATMs and even a local laundry. There is a large taxi stand just steps away from the Derici's front door.

It was here, at the hotel Derici, that I decided to go for a steam, sauna and full massage. That was a very relaxing experience, which I can recommend. Their price is decent too.

In retrospect, I am pleased that I chose to stay in Kuşadası as my base for visiting Ephesus. Everything worked out well. And the hotel Derici gave me plenty of opportunity to sample the "festive, seaside resort" atmosphere.

Only two things occurred that I did not expect: they asked me to fully pre-pay with my credit card at the time of check-in. That request is not so unusual in Turkey, but I just did not anticipate it from my prior review or use of their website. I complied, and it all worked out well.

The second issue was after check-out, when they actually telephoned me about 30 minutes after I had departed Kuşadası in a taxi for Izmir, simply to ask if I had used a fruit juice drink from the service bar in my room. This was a stunner that really made me shake my head with laughter. Earlier, they even had sent someone up to check that issue while I was still standing there at the front desk to check out. No, I had not obtained that juice drink from their service bar, but instead I had bought it a day earlier at a mini-mart in Kuşadası. In fact, the type of juice drink was clearly different than the ones they had in the service bar. Anyone should have been able to tell the difference. So I found it rather hilarious that they later called me in my airport-bound taxi via my taxi driver's mobile phone just to ask me about an empty juice drink carton that they later found in the wastebasket. They accepted my assurance that I had not failed to pay for something out of the service bar, and that was that. But I still marveled at how weird the whole thing was and how miserly this made them come off. No hard feelings, but it was just an "eye-roller" for me.

In summary, if you adjust your expectations to reality, you can enjoy this hotel and the seaside resort town of Kuşadası. Sure, things may seem a little dated, and they are. But I for one had fun here.

Room Tip: Tell them when you make the reservation if you want a sea-front room with a high floor. If they can...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

the hotel is old but well maintained. They have clean rooms, friendly staff, and good WIFI connection. However we experienced trouble using the phone line and the elevator. The elevator has no detector, it just opens and closes even if someone was still on the door of the elevator (ouch..). Breakfast was ok, it had less options. The location of the hotel is great, 5 minutes away from restaurants and shopping centre.

Room Tip: beware of the elevator if you are travelling with children
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed 18/11/12 - 25/11/12. We chose this hotel for its location, indoor heated pool and value for money however I was disappointed to find that the indoor pool was quite cool and very small: even I could swim a full circuit in less than 1 minute! The gym and pool were free between 11:00 - 19:00 but all other facilities - steam room, sauna etc had charges applied. The outdoor pool and terrace area were closed for the winter as was the dining room. Our evening meal consisted of 4 courses: soup, pasta or salad, beefburgers or chicken and a sliced apple and satsuma or cold rice pudding. There was no choice of menu and these variations were over different days and not an option daily. The food was just like school dinners and the mash potato was so thin it could have been sucked through a straw! I would suggest it was packet mash. The hotel switched off the hot water for one day and when it came on in the evening it was the colour of mud for several hours, making it unusable. The hotel next door was being totally renovated so there was constant banging, drilling and noise all day, finishing around 18:00. I realise that the Derici hotel could not be responsible for this but its worth knowing how it could affect a holiday out of season. I have to say I wouldn't recommend this hotel out of season but would hope it fares better in season. The location was ideal although the main road outside prevented us from sleeping with the door open due to noise all through the nightcluding stray dogs barking every evening and the air conditioning was not sufficient to chill our otherwise warm and stuffy room. The staff at reception were very helpful and the maids were lovely, the staff in the bar area never cracked a smile and everything seemed a chore for them even though we tipped every evening. The tip boxes in the bar, at reception and the breakfast room were a bit offputting. The breakfast choice was average and there was plenty of time to eat: 07:00- 10:00.
Overall it was central, clean and very average, nothing to make it stand out from the others and definitely not 4 star, more like 2+ - 3 star at most.

Room Tip: We had room 217 which is above the dining room but at the front and overlooking the sea, I would sug...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel was more than we expected ....... had all the amenities we needed; however, being the time of year it was the pool water was cold and the indoor pool could have been warmer. The breakfast selection was the usual offered in the hotels - no complaints here. Location is great and the service we received was exemplary. We stayed here for three days while touring the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Derici Hotel? Share your experiences!