“We're here and we're ill too!!” 4 of 5 stars

Pine Bay Holiday Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Camlimani Mevkii, Kusadasi 09400, Turkey   |
Ranked #50 of 148 hotels in Kusadasi
Surrey
“We're here and we're ill too!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Unfortunately we're here and have the dreaded stomach virus too! My partner and I have had diarrhoea since Tuesday! It's now Friday. We have been unable to leave the hotel as we need to be near a toilet! The rep just told us to see the doctor to get a drip but we're not dehydrated as we are living on bread and water! She also told us that there is a virus in the hotel! It seems this has been going on for a while so thank you Thomas Cook for still sending us here!! We should've been told and given the choice to change hotel or cancel! We still have a week left and are really hoping to feel better soon and hoping my son doesn't get it too. Will never come here again! Gill Morris. Room 804

• Stayed August 2014

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We have just returned from our two week stay at Pine Bay Holiday Resort. This was our first time in Turkey and our second experience of an all inclusive holiday.
Lets start on the positives. As in the hotel name, this is a large resort type complex and I have to say well done to the staff for keeping the grounds clean and tidy. The bungalow we stayed in was basic but adequate. The maid was around most days to clean up and supply clean towels. Unlike some other reviews our air conditioning units worked well, keeping us nice and chilled. We removed the electricity card from the door key so as to be able to leave the air conditioning on all day if required. One nice touch was that the safety deposit box in the room was free.
The site is hilly, but that is well publicised. We made good use of the buggies to save our aching legs. What about the rest of resort? The beach and harbour area are very pleasant. The Aquapark is great fun and the pool areas fit for purpose. Our kids had a great time. The pool next to the main block is not the place to be to unwind as this is where the animation team are based. We didn't mind this or the music as they were a great bunch and very entertaining. For a quieter pool experience try the pool by the aquapark with its decking areas. You will need to reserve sunbeds at either pool, although we found by going down around 9am there were still more than enough beds available.
A quick mention for the staff. On the whole we found them to be very helpful. They are most definitely a hard working bunch but please read below for some aspects of their behaviour.
So what about the negatives......... 1/ food 2/ food 3/ food . The dining experience is one of the most important to me in respect of having an enjoyable holiday, hence the average rating. The main buffet restaurant area was the most negative feature . It was just too busy. Find yourselves a table then fight through the masses. Want something different from the canteen selection?, Expect to wait. It took my wife half an hour to return with her stir fry one night . Yes there is a fair selection of dishes in the evening, but once you had discounted the ones that could make you ill , that choice dwindled. I'm not exaggerating. Illness was a common and real topic. It really did feel like a case a playing Russian roulette everyday with the food. Over the course of the holiday my wife, youngest son and daughter were all ill with diarrhoea. My wife was most affected. She became ill during the first week and never fully recovered during our stay. On return she found out that she had lost three quarters of a stone in weight. We are currently waiting for her test results.
Something was going on at this hotel, as I personally talked to many people who had been ill. Some had required a trip to the hospital. Hygiene could be a factor? Yes there were cats visiting the restaurant and being open to the elements the various dishes were being visited by flies, wasps and sometimes birds. The standards of hygiene and practices of the staff also varied. Some would wear disposable gloves while preparing or serving food, some would not. My favourite was on asking for some chips at one of the snack bars one day, was to watch the chap serving pick up a handful with his bare hands and plonk them on my plate. Great!
It was a shame you could only book one A La Carte meal a week at either the Panorama or Marina restaurants as these were by far the best meals we had.
A quick mention for another part of the all inclusive experience, the drinks. No problems here, beer fine and local spirits O.K. However we found out that you had to pay for you drinks at the beach disco which started at 11pm. If you want to sup a free drink at the disco grab a handful at one of the bars on the way down.
So all in all a good holiday let down by the dining experience and illness. Would I go again? Maybe if the reviews dictated an improvement regards the above.

Room Tip: The higher the number room, the less of a climb you will have
Blackburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Yes all meal times were just like first day of the sales, it seemed only the English queued in an orderly manner. There were some extremely arrogant and ignorant people mostly speaking French, although the Eastern Europeans came a close second. Our first time on an all inclusive, I cannot see there being a second, mainly because of the dining arrangements, four adults and two children were in our group, all adults got the bug but thankfully the little ones didn't. Meals had a different theme each night but it really was just the same tasteless goo.
Big problem at check in, but that is with us and our tour provider, but don't accept bungalows 16 & 17 they are hovels, sorry they are worse than hovels. We did not get the rooms we paid for after booking a full twelve months in advance, we were moved to the hotel supposedly upgraded but not really the case. Quite poor Thomas Cook.
Having said all that the place is very large, quite well laid out, good beach area with good beach bar, plenty of snack bars etc. There are plenty of sun beds but you do have to get up early for a pool side one. The water park is good with the life guards being very attentive not there just for show, same with the pool areas, the animation team worked hard for the children and generally the staff were pleasant, basically if your smiled and said hello then they would respond. The waiters in the main restaurant worked hard for you although our service got better when we tipped them. We went into Kusadasi which was fine and actually had a decent meal there, our best of the two weeks. We did enjoy it all though as a holiday is what you make it. Would not go back and did not get our money's worth.

Room Tip: Do not accept a high level bungalow especially 16&17. Hotel rooms have a good sea view.
Braintree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

All in all, our group of 8, 4 adults, 4 kids had a great holiday. However, there are a few negatives and improvements that the hotel need to make. The worst experience is the dining area, especially the evening meal. 2400 guests from 7pm is a lot to cater for and unfortunately its the same sort of muck every night, with a theme. You need to be patient and cue for the speciality. It's not a sociable time because your all up and down at different times trying to fight for something you like. We called it the "ants nest". On a positive the hotel grounds, scenery and animation team are superb. Yes, its hilly, but again be patient and get a golf buggy, the hotel really need to purchase some more - 1 per bungalow would be good!! Great holiday with friends, I would recommend going as a group, not for couples, its so big you don't see the same people twice, however, I wouldn't go back. Get organised in the morning because once you are down to the pool / beach, you don't want to be going back up until the end of the day. No upset tummy's in my family but the family I travelled with were more delicate! Eat little fruit (no melon), little salad and you should be ok getting fat on pancakes, bread and chips! It's only 2 weeks, enjoy it and make the holiday what you want it to be.

Room Tip: Bungalows near the hotel or stay in the hotel.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here for two weeks beginning of august,first and last time we will ever go all inclusive,food was very bland,lots to chose from but not for the english,my kids didnt eat breakfast,had to rely on pancakes being served by pool area,round 11. Myself was struck down with the dreaded bug everyone else is talking about,then my husband got it,all in all leaving us unwell for about 9 days!! This i think was due to the hygiene of the glasses not getting cleaned properly,plus a number of people not washing the hands after the toilet. it turned my stomach. Its very hilly,and if you dont get one of the buggys put on,you will feel like youve done an hour in the gym!! Thankfully we got the bus twice and went into the kusadasi,what a refreshing change.........Also ive never met such a mixed mixture of bad mannered people,from russians to germans,to french to turkish,I WOULD DEFO NOT STAY HERE AGAIN!! The days by the pool where lovely and we made are own fun,but if you want to lose weight on an all inclusive holiday pine bay is for you!! i would not recommend it to anyone!! Plus we most certainly didnt get our moneys worth.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Overall we had a fantastic holiday. Our kids aged 12 & 13 had a great time, loved the watersides, pools and water sports on the beach. We used the canoe, (free along with pedalo) and paid for paragliding and jet skis. The resort is hilly, we knew this and we did choose to do a lot of walking rather than wait for the golf buggies. The location of the hotel is isolated and again we knew this and were happy to use the dolmus bus right outside the hotel. This is an excellent and easy service, 2.75TL each way per person, probably 15 minutes into the resort, where we enjoyed having a mooch around. There is a really nice mix of nationalities in this hotel and we met some lovely people.

We stayed one night in the hotel as I'd emailed ahead and asked for a refurbished bungalow. I was told there would be one available the following morning if we were prepared to stay in the hotel the first night, The hotel room was perfectly nice and spacious with a sea view and excellent air con.

Our bungalow was a refurbished one, with 2 rooms, and 2 bathrooms, nothing luxury but perfectly decent and clean. It had aircon units in both rooms, which were useless. Practically blew out warm air after a few minutes. We slept with the window open (mosquito nets on windows were very effective). I think we were just unlucky though as other people said that they had to turn theirs off at night as it was too cold! I thought reception staff were very helpful. Asked for extra towels and pillows and both were delivered promptly as were our bags when we telephoned to have them collected to go home.

Had no problems with any staff at all, most were pleasant and friendly and seemed to appreciate a smattering of turkish manners. (I was amazed by how rude some people are when ordering drinks!) We met some lovely people, kids made friends and were occupied all day by the pools and slides and a bit of table tennis. We stayed around the main pool by the watersides as that's where our children wanted to be and also because we weren't that keen on the main hotel pool.I t was very busy and noisy. I thought the watersides were excellent, great fun, lots of lifeguards and supervision. We did use the main pool for proper swimming in and the indoor pool is lovely too, especially to escape the heat. Didn't really get involved with day time entertainment as this is ALL based around hotel pool and not waterslide pools.

My main gripe would have to be the restaurant. In all honesty I thought the food was quite good, lots of variety, and lots of freshly made foods such as filled flatbreads, stir fries, pancakes, donuts, risotto and omelettes. Breakfast is not as good, but mainly that is because quite understandably they don't cater for the British love of bacon and sausage and if i'm being super picky, they only have one toaster machine and their pastries were a bit dry! Also horrible, strong concentrated fruit juices unless you want to pay for freshly squeezed orange which I think is disappointing in a 4* AI hotel. I however did not enjoy going to dinner at all. The main restaurant is MANIC.

it's not easy to get a table, we went for our own drinks most evenings, and took it in turns to wait with our table once we'd found it to make sure that it wasn't taken. It's very much a school canteen feel, not dinner. No dress code (which doesn't really bother me) but you can't sit down together as one person will always want something which has a massive queue. I fancied the stir fry one evening but couldn't be bothered to wait in an enormous queue. I had the fresh pizza one evening but again that took about 10 minutes in a queue. You can't see what there is half of the time. I did see lots of cleaning up in the restaurant but there is a lack of hygiene. Firstly, I've never been to a hotel which doesn't provide cloths to hold over the bread for cutting and there should be hand sanitiser on the entrances. I was also horrified to see cats amongst the tables, which my son said he could see fleas on. People were feeding these cats, stroking them, then going to the food, touching serving spoons etc, just disgusting!

I too made great use of my Immodium and have never been on a holiday where the main daily topic of conversation is, "how's your tummy today?" I heard lots of conversations about diarrhoea, and know several of the families we met suffered badly and had to see the Doctor in some cases.

The last few days we didn't bother with lunch in the restaurant and went to the beach snack bar which make lovely fresh pizza and is much more pleasant than the bun fight in the main restaurant.

Drinks - lethal - had to ask the barman to put in less rum as they are massive measures but no problem getting drinks. We used the lobby bar a lot as we tended to sit and use the wifi in the hotel during the evenings. I thought the wifi was good, quite fast but they need to turn up the aircon in the reception and main building, far too hot!

Evening entertainment is not the best. Their own entertainment team do the shows, Miss Pine Bay (where they are required to do Playboy poses!!!), Mama Mia etc. However the outside entertainment with the African gymnasts was brilliant. (but this is the only outside show). My husband described the entertainment as grim!

We've been AI several times and I think Pine Bay is a great resort! Yes there were things that annoyed me and having the trots was a pain BUT, we still had a fantastic holiday and the children absolutely loved it and want to go back to Turkey again. I wouldn't return to Pine Bay, but I wouldn't go back to any hotel as there's plenty of hotels to visit around the world.

All in all, lovely holiday, love the resort and feel that I have focused on the negatives quite a lot in this review. I have done this though as I think that if the hotel sorted out these issues it really would be an amazing place! Despite my moans and groans we all really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow room near the hotel as these are the refurbished ones, and closer to all the faci...
Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 2 weeks in August. We were a group of 28 friends and family. Not a bad hotel but felt things could have been cleaner. 11 people out of our party fell ill with the dreaded stomach bug which really wasn't pleasant and left a few bed ridden for a few days. So we had numerous trips to the pharmacy. Food was ok but felt it didn't really cater for English guests but have since found out the hotel has only been open to English guests for a few years. The Animation team really make this hotel. They were fab. Very welcoming. So a well deserved shout out to Carlos, Ricco, Sergio, Armi and the rest of the crew. The hotel reception staff were not as helpful. We stayed in the bungalows and one member of our party was placed right at the top of the steep hill. This was inadequate as he has a pacemaker. When asked if they could move they were told no. Although some people were being moved for lesser reasons. Due to a lot of our party being ill we asked for a few late check out rooms where we were told to ask on the morning of departure. We did just that and were told not possible despite some of us being toilet reliant! Thomas Cook holiday rep was pretty useless and not there much at all. Would suggest that the hotel reception area might benefit from a bit of aircon. Unbelievably warm in there. Despite my complaints we had a good holiday and this really could be a good hotel if they could make a few changes.

Stayed August 2014

Been to Pine Bay Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!