“Ali Baba Taxi Service - Kusadasi/Izmzir - loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
“Ali Baba Taxi Service - Kusadasi/Izmzir - loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Ali's Taxi Service was the best service we received of all the ports on our cruise! My mother, sister, and I were scheduled to take Norwegian's Holy Lands cruise in Dec. of 2013. Norwegian cancelled this cruise, probably due to strife in Egypt, and we ended up on a Norwegian Italy, Greece, Turkey cruise instead. And we had the best time ever anyway! Due to my mother's inability to walk very far, I had to arrange for a private tour at every port on our cruise (Rome/Katakalon/Izmir/Istanbul/Naples.) While every single driver/tour guide was very good to us, Ali stood out in every way. While others waited for us with a sign outside the dock, Ali was magically right there as we were walking out, and had already taken responsibility for handling my mother's wheelchair before we got to the taxi stand! Our ship docked in Izmir, not Kusadasi (his home town,) so he'd made a special arrangement with a local driver to drive, while he was our tour guide and wheelchair handler, at no extra cost to us. Ali's taxi service was also the only taxi service where lunch was included in the price. Ali knew the most efficient way to tackle our itinerary - House of the Virgin Mary first, Ephesus second and then the rest. We highly recommend good walking shoes for Ephesus, as well as touring it from the top down - since it lies on a slope - even if it means walking with the crowds. It's uncomfortable to enjoy what you're seeing if you're doing it uphill and against the throng of people walking downhill. My mother could not manage to see Ephesus due to her limited ability to walk, so Ali drove her to the exit point in Ephesus (if you're doing it from the top down,) treated her to some Turkish tea, and kept her company. We felt comfortable and safe leaving her in his capable hands while my sister and I walked around Ephesus. Ali also helped us by letting us know which items to avoid buying as they would not be made by local artisans. That was extremely helpful since we wanted to buy local handmade Turkish artwork/souvenirs only. Most of the local street vendors were very polite, even when we declined to see their goods, with the one rare exception. I would say they acknowledged our 'no's' much better than we've seen in other countries. We stopped at a local ceramics studio and shop and a carpet cooperative that makes and sells handmade carpets. You will get a demonstration of their excellent art at both places. The handmade carpets are tempting (and expensive) as they are nicer than the Turkish carpets I've seen in the US. The ceramic shop and carpet cooperative both offered to mail our purchased items home which is extremely helpful. Ali gave us tidbits of information on Turkey all through our day, as well as historical information on the sights we visited. It is helpful though, to read up on the historical sights ahead of time, so that you can appreciate what you're seeing, while you're there. Ali got us to the cruise ship on time in the evening, even forewarning us that we'd be tackling vendors on the way to the cruise ship. He is an extremely personable man and we felt we had made a friend in Turkey whom we'd like to visit again. Ali exuded warmth, energy, and fun, from the very first email to the last goodbyes. We were talking about him even at the next port when we met our new taxi driver, who had a tough act to follow after Ali's very personal service. Like other reviewers for his service, we would also not hesitate to recommend Ali for your visit to Kusadasi, Izmir, or wherever else he agrees to drive you. His email address is kusadasitaxiali@hotmail.com. Thanks for reading and Happy Travels to all!

Visited December 2013

Chino Hills, California, United States
“Awesome driver”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had booked Ali's services for our cruise's port of call in Kusadasi and asked him to drive us to the usual places in and around Kusadasi - the ruins of Ephesus, the Virgin Mary's house, carpet weaving co-op, leather factory, etc... Ali was great and did everything to accommodate my mobility issues (I walk with a walker). I would definitely use his services again if/when I go back to Kusadasi and would not hesitate to recommend his services.

Visited October 2013
Tehran, Iran
3 attraction reviews
“Ali Baba Taxi - Best available tour guide !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I along with our two grownup sons stayed for 5 days in Kusadasi, mainly to relax in our beach hotel. But I felt it is a must to see Ephesus and Lady Mary house.
I did not want to wonder around finding a tour operator and obey their rules about waking up in 7-8 am and be in a bus and do what they dictate us. Instead I tried to manage a private tour for us.
By chance I met Ali and he offered a very good price for a day tour at our pace. Fortunately we agreed and it was a very nice day tour tailored to our needs.
He was also very friendly and knowledgeable and offered a very intelligent pass for us to see what is most important and how to do it. I think he would be very helpful for everyone who wishes to have a private tour in Kusadasi.
A tip : ask about entrances fee before deciding what you wish to see to have a realistic knowledge of the total costs of your day trip .

Visited September 2013
Oakham, United Kingdom
“Ali Baba taxis - Kusadasi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Like other people posting on Ali Baba taxis, we can fully recommend this firm. We stumbled into them at a bar near the port which our cruise ship visited twice during our itinerary. We booked a trip to Ephesus (which was amazing) with Ali Baba rather than pay the extortionate excursion prices charged by the cruise company. He was reliable, friendly and helpful and responded to an email very promptly when we wanted to amend our pick-up time and even followed up by communicating with us subsequent to our trip to check that we enjoyed it - which we did. A good experience.

Visited September 2013
Perth, Australia
“Local Tour Guide - Ali Baba Taxi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I came over from Australia and being of Turkish heritage I was anxious for my girlfriend to have a good experience and a favourable impression of Turkish people. At first I had misgivings about Ali but hired him nonetheless because he offered a good price and had so many positive reviews. I didn't regret it. Not only did he tailor our stay in Kusadasi based on our tastes (rather than forcing us to endure landmarks that we didn't find appealing, like the house of Virgin Mary), he entertained us along the way with his affable personality. He speaks English well and has such a warm-hearted personality that by the time we had left we felt like we'd made a friend for life. He was half the reason we had such a good time in Kusadasi. The best part for me was that my girlfriend came back to her parents in Australia describing Turks as lovable, charming people.

Not only is he a great personal tour guide but he is also very entertaining and will keep you laughing through-out your stay. Highly recommended.

Visited July 2013