“No customer focus” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Tekirova 07980, Turkey   |
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Tekirova
“No customer focus”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Pros
- Lovely place surrounded by mountains
- Buildings under pine trees
- Not a huge complex (at least for us)
- Lovely hobby centre focused on painting
- Playground/centre for kids

Cons
- Service (restaurant mainly) very poor and not giving you a feeling "you are my guest here", sometimes even being rude
- Access to sea via stones, not nice for small kids
- Limited sport animatiom activities
- Food was the same day by day
- Russians...

Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leighton Buzzard, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

VERY DISAPPOINTING HOLIDAY

where do I start?
• Unlimited local drinks
1. no substitute for Malibu (the only drink my son in law enjoys) even though my son in law on previous holidays to Turkey has had this on offer at other resorts
2. White rum (the only drink that my wife enjoys) ran out in the hotel at least 4 days out of our 14
after many discussions with our rep we did manage to get the bar manager to allow us to have Bacardi and Malibu until the hotel restocked their local drinks, this came with its own issues, there was no communication between staff and management this caused many issues each time we went to a different bar or staff changed shift as no one knew of the situation, this caused a lot of anxiety for me and I did not relax for at least a week (not a great start to a so called relaxing holiday!)
• Rude Staff (with a few exceptions)
1. Bar staff spent more time looking at themselves in the mirror than being alert to their surroundings and offering 4T+ customer service, when you did manage to get their attention it was as if you were not there, no please's no thank you's, just plain rudeness.
2. Restaurant staff, again acted as if they did not want to be there, we had to wait on many occasions for a table to be re-laid so that we could have our meals, in the end we used to do it ourselves.

• Food service
1. Breakfast was on from 7am with no notice saying that it was a limited offer, you could not get an omelette before 8:30 with no reason why not.
2. Plates were generally dirty with old food stains, mugs were generally chipped, cracked or badly stained.
3. Milk was very rarely put out next to the coffee/tea machine, you had to walk 30 meters to the other end of the restaurant to where the cereals were with a hot drink dodging all the other guests.
4. We went to dinner most nights at 8pm due to feeding our grandchild, most of the time we had to wait for tables to be re- laid, it always seemed too much bother for the staff, the tables were re-laid with thin table cloths and the wooden tables were not ever wiped down and were on many occasions covered in food debris from earlier usage.
5. On one occasion my wife went to the jacket potato bar, she was 6th in the queue, only 5 potatoes were put out, my wife then asked if there would be any more and was told yes in 10 minutes, we waited almost 30 and when we asked again if there were any potatoes we were now told 'no potatoes, run out' I was not happy with this and asked why did you tell us 30 minutes ago that some were coming out in 10 minutes and now you say that there aren't any, (another British couple then told us that there were at least 15 potatoes in the oven, they had not run out!) I then told one of the chefs that there were some in the oven and that I wanted one for my wife, he then took the potatoes out of the oven and started to serve them again to guests, I then saw one of the animation team and asked him to ask the chef why we were being treated this way and lied to, while this was happening a Russian guest pushed my wife out of the way from the front of the queue and started helping himself to the potatoes with no intervention from the staff, my wife was now so distraught over the ordeal that she burst out into tears.
This was totally unacceptable. On looking into this further it looked like the potatoes were being saved for the Animation Team (Staff before Guests?...)
6. One of the ala carte restaurants (the Turkish one) was closed and not available for our second week (we heard it was being re-furbished!?) not good during the holiday season, even though the hotel was much quieter on our second week why should we have limited availability and have to sacrifice!

• Accommodation
1. The beds were extremely hard, although we did get a summer quilt put on top to soften it slightly, there were no sheets to sleep under but a ribbed blanket which was most uncomfortable, this is the first and only time that we have not had two sheets to sleep between on any previous holiday.
2. There were no ironing facilities available in the rooms or even on site, we were told that the only way to get something ironed was to send it off site with their laundry contract, I have never come across something as ridiculous as this in any of my previous holidays!
3. Our patio door was left unlocked by the maid on at least 4-6 occasions even though I complained many times through customer relations and I even saw the maid face to face and explained this in our first week, this upset us as our room was on the ground floor.

• Animation Team
1. We all found the animation team used to overstay their welcome on many occasions when they came over to see our grandchildren, we just felt that we could not relax, they would scrounge cigarettes off my wife and even smoke around us (not very professional!)
2. On the first week there was at least two 'Club dances' daily for all to join in on (our 3 year old Granddaughter Loved this) on our last two days the animation team didn't even bother!! weren't we good enough guests?

IN CONCLUSION This holiday was by far the worst holiday I and my family have ever had, I was not able to de-stress for at least the first six days of the holiday trying to sort everything out, I was very nearly at the stage of demanding a move to another hotel for our second week the only reason why I managed to relax to a degree at all over the last few days was because I just could not be bothered moaning anymore!
As for the rude Russians......I won't even go there.....!

Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Spent a beautiful 10 days in Marti Myra resort. Spacious room, helping staff, clean and warm sea, clean pools, animation, good and various food.
Hotel is in pine forest, very pleasant for walk, especially if you are with little children.
Recommend to all!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely location, between the sea and mountains. Beautiful, well maintained gardens. Good size rooms, only problem the hotel did not provide a top sheet. We had to ask for one as we found the covers uncomfortable. A small issue. The biggest disappointment was the staff, especially waiters. Most were surly, unsmiling and slow to clear tables and ask if customers wanted anything. The majority seemed to resent having to serve people. They all needed to take a course in Customer Services and they needed to be supervised to ensure they were doing their job. The food was fine and there were no problems at breakfast and lunch, but the evening meal was spoilt by the poor service and all the tables were occupied by 7-15. To get a table you had to participate in a Le Mans start or cheat. Again poor customer services and no supervision.
One problem at breakfast was you found a lot of the tea/coffee mugs were cracked or chipped. Nobody seems to check them before they go out.
The highlights were the sun, the sea and the ability to relax. Also took advantage of the Hobby Centre which was great for us.
Be prepared to have the skills of a diplomat to deal with the staff and other guests. You will also need to have financial skills as prices are given in dollars most of the time, sometimes in the euro, hardly ever in lira. It was by chance we had all three currencies and were treated with open arms when we paid in dollars. Whether we got good rates I would not know.
Conclusion: a large three star hotel, well located with unachieved aspirations because of poor management.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a fab hotel, and we have had a great time.

1st impressions of the hotel are wow! It looks amazing. The hotel is located in a forest, right on the beach. The reception, restaurants, bars accomodation etc are all in separate buildings built in between the trees. It is certainly a 5 star set up.

The beach is a mixture of pebbles, shingle & sand, and can be awkward to get in the sea without shoes.

The only area I was disappointed with was the restaurant, more 3 star than 5. The food is quite good with a large selection, but the staff were always slow to clear the tables. There were plenty of tables for everyone, but rarely clean ones, as the staff were more interested in closing off an area early, rather than clearing the other tables for the next guests. The soup was always only warm.

The hotel is almost entirely Russian. The staff generally speak Russian with very limited English, and Tekirova is an entirely Russian resort. The staff were fab & polite, but you can't have any banter with them as they don't understand enough English! All the entertainment is in Russian, and totally caters for the majority. This didn't retract from our holiday as we didn't partake in any of the entertainment.

We booked our trips thru "Pipo tours". Again the trips were Russian dominated, but very well organised.

Payment around the resort is preferred in Euros or American Dollars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were worried as well as everyone else about the previous reviews but we took a punt.

When we were leaving we discussed what we thought of the resort and the word my wife used was "Pleasant". Don't get me wrong we had a great time and my kids loved every minute of it. However we were told by our travel agent that it was a platinum rated resort and they had not long taken over it.

It is by no means what we would call platinum level. There was nothing dramatically wrong but lots of little niggles add up to our lower rating.

The good points:

The room was a good size and well appointed. Plenty of room for myself my wife and two boisterous boys!
The grounds are well tended and the hotel is set in a great location.
Plenty of pools and set between the Med and the Taurus mountains it is very idyllic.
The food was of a very good standard throughout our stay and there was plenty of it!
We took advantage of the theme nights and thoroughly enjoyed our Turkish and Italian meals.
There were plenty of activities for all of the family and a surprising amount of them were free!

The bad points

The resort has seven swimming pools and only one life guard on duty at any one time? He only seemed interested in how good he looked (his opinion).
The pool rules stated that toddlers and babies have to wear nappies (if needed) when in the pool. This was not policed as we watched plenty of Russian children using the pool naked. Two year old children and babies do not have full control of their bladders believe me!
The service from the waiters apart from one notable exception was pretty poor. They forgot orders, had to get colleagues who spoke English to translate for them and generally ignored you unless you kept at them!
The room was not cleaned regularly! Or should i say the cleaner turned up though didn't actually do much!
The accommodation is in an idyllic setting but the block system made it feel like a prison camp! There is no sea view and none of the rooms have a view to write home about.
The kids club although well appointed the children were left to do what they wanted and there seemed to be no set structure and my eldest was bored and only went once.
The day trips are expensive and not really worth the cost.
The resort caters extensively for its eastern European customers. I would suggest that 90-95% of the resorts custom is Russian. Therefore the entertainment is in Russian. The staff speak Russian fluently and German however their command of English is minimal and communication can be difficult. One example of which is my wife asked one meal time for a spoon and ended up with a child seat?! On the subject of the Russians and this is no reflection on the resort but to a man and I include the women and children in this, they are the rudest ignorant people I have ever met. They push to the front of queues, push you out of the way to get past and they do not like to give way even if you are carrying bags and a child. I ended up having to join them and shoved them aside and physically removed them if they pushed to the front!

On one occasion there was a fight in the lobby between members of staff roughly 15. This occurred on the Victory day celebration. Not acceptable! Also some friends we made had a wedding ring stolen from their room even though the rooms are electronically locked.

All in all it was a pleasant stay but as we were told it was a platinum resort and we paid for a platinum resort we expected to stay at a platinum resort. Alas it was not so. We enjoyed our stay but would find it difficult to recommend to anyone and certainly won't be returning.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were worried about going after all the bad comments. But I can,t believe were all the bad reviews come from. The hotel & grounds are amazing. Rooms are set as if your in a jungle, very clean every were. Food fantastic, staff friendly . The hobbie centre was brilliant our daughter loved it. The entertainment on the evening was brilliant. We can not fault this hotel & were going back next year with more of our family. Don't believe all the bad comments holiday of a life time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marti Myra Hotel? Share your experiences!