“Fabulous hotel- Great value **must read** GREAT STAFF” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in Side
York, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel- Great value **must read** GREAT STAFF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We travelled to the Turquoise resort and spa in Side from 4-18th August 2009 , We are in our early 30's with two girls aged 5 and 2. We booked with and flew with Thomson who gave the best price after going back and to from the others, and it was part of their 'Beach Club' with gave extra benefits. This was our third time to Turkey, first to Side, we liked Side best. The hotel is about an hour and 20mins transfer from Antalya airport. Its set about a £5 taxi ride from Side Old town, where there are shops selling usual tourist things, fake clothing, souveniers and restaurants and bars. Also there is the Apollo temple which is lovely to visit at sunset, and the amphitheatre and general Roman ruins.

Turquoise is set in the Sorgun pine forest, lovely setting. There is the main hotel building (nice reception and lobby area, although the air con could have been pumped up a bit!) and annexe buildings with have a nice look. We arrived late, were checked in quick and greeted with a glass of bubbly, and fruit cocktails for the girls, with a colouring pack. Our cases were taken to our room, and then club sandwiches were brought up to us, nice.

Rooms - We were in Block E, standard room 2nd floor out of 2/3 storey buildings. I wanted a better room upon booking, but all booked up. Standard room was 'ok' quite small, but it all depends on what you're used to and where you've been. It didn't have carpet, and we found that made the floor dirty under your feet, I had to wash my feet after a shower before putting my shoes on for the evening. Friends had use of a main hotel room for their last day, said it was carpeted and a bit better...but these rooms would be noisy as above restaurants, bars etc. They were also on ground floor of block E and had ants, which they did report, and the hotel dealt with. We had double bed, very good sofa bed for daughter age 5 and travel cot for daughter age 22 months. Bathroom small...tiny bath, even for me at 5ft 2''! But bathroom was nice, maid service good, clean towels, small toiletries etc. We had a mini fridge, stocked everyday, with four bottles of soft drinks, and water, part of all inc. Small old style tv...nothing in English though, kids watched NickJnr in foreign language, didn't care! I didn't think there was a lot of storage space for a family of four. We had a nice small balcony with couple of chairs, drying rail. If you can afford it I would try book a family room if you have children, or we overlooked the Villas, with own private pool, nice patio furniture, very very nice, with own breakfast restaurant etc I would try get one of those. Families and couples were in these. We sat on our balcony at 11pm and could see families and couples still in the pool, I liked the idea of that - but it all depends on price doesn't it! The standard rooms are nice.

The grounds of the hotel are very pretty and very well kept, always being cleaned, tendered or sprinkled with water. Lush plants, flowers.

Pools - There are lots of pools, exclusive ones for Villas, relaxing pool (no kids) Very large main pool with activities, music and a large family pool with three big water slides a toddler pool with two little slides. All pools very warm...I will add here it was VERY hot and quite humid in the evening in Aug...but it didn't rain and not a cloud...cant complain! You can count on Turkey for the weather! There are lots of loungers everywhere and parasols, never struggled or had to get up early to secure one, you get fresh towels everyday from the hut. There is lots of grassed area too. Be careful pool area can get slippy, get non slip water shoes for your kids if you taking any.

Beach - Now the beach is not Carribean standard! but beaches in Turkey can be a bit shingly (Marmaris, Olu deniz) but this small private beach, with a pathway along the front, was sandy, very very clean. Never struggled for bed and big parasols. Good enough for sunworshippers, and sandcastle builders. Hotel has two private Jettys, with loungers. Very nice. Not ideal for sunbathing with small children good for couples, but good for walks. They have steps into the very warm sea and one has another little ' foam island' you can swim to. You can see huge TURTLES swimming around the Jettys, and you can fish off them, or just throw the fish bread. Water very clear. Beach bars not far. Hotel also have a scuba diving hut, and a water sports hut. Lots of watersports. Husband and daughter did double parasailing, loved it. Cost £50 for both of them.

Bars & Restaurants - The bars are very good at this hotel, and plenty and the service you cannot fault. The staff everywhere are all very friendly here and they are not after any tips to give you first class service. Lots of drinks and cocktails available under all inc, even non alcoholic ones for the kids. The bar staff even remember what you drink and just get it you. TV screens at some bars, sport, MTV. Very good with everyone and children. There is a childrens snack area (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, burgers) that also does ice cream near the mini club. There is a beach restaurant, that does various food, and fruit, spaghetti. Main buffet restaurant, the food I think is very good, with lots of desserts to choose, grills outside, salads, its all good. It was very hot though and we always waited untill the sun went down and ate outside near the back . There are speciality restaurants which we could eat in once during our stay. You have to book from 9am the day before in guest services reception, menus are there. It gets busy. Italian is most popular. We got a reservation and really enjoyed it. I wanted to get the chinese as I heard that was good, but we ran out of time. Breakfast is good too in the buffet restaurant (bourganvillia for villas) gets busy, which did get on my nerves a bit! not a great cooked breakfast, but pancakes, omlettes, eggs, croissants, pastries, meats, cheese, cereals, toast etc There is a juiceman that you grab with a cart for a variety of juices. Drinks at meals (Buffet) (except breakfast) you dont get yourself, its service, which is nice but sometimes when its busy you can wait for a bit for your drink. You could just get a drink from the bar before going in. I think it would be good if you could get your own fizzy drinks, lager, wine like at other hotels I've stayed in Turkey (Lykia World, Marmaris Palace). You dont have to buy water here, the hotel provide bottled water, even in the daytime and minibar. They also will provide and heat milk for babies in a microwave at the bars (certainly lobby bar). You can't fault the food, or the drinks or the service at this hotel.

Entertainment - Did I say 'entertainment' (cough cough hmmmm) no its 'OK' my daughter liked Mamma Mia (I sadly did a bit) Lion King was appalling, again little girl liked. They did many shows in the amphitheatre, its just they really need to work on it all a bit more! Definately not broadway, not even school performance standard. They try hard though, and its kind of entertaining. It would help if some of the performers could mime in English. Say no more. There is live music in other bars, very good. and one night after the mini disco they did a casino theme night which was fun. There is a lot going on in the day, aerobics, belly dancing lessons, scuba diving etc. There is also a disco, we never went, I assume its good as they played good music around the bars. You cant hear the disco as its through the spa area so no noise. So yes there is a spa as well offering lots of treatments and Turkish bath. Theres a hairdressers here and some shops, expensive though, head into the old town. Theres a supermarket for sweets, and essentials.

Mini Club/kids - this hotel is great for families. Its kid friendly with the pools, beach, entertainment. The mini club is from age 4. The club is good if your child like to colour, create things, pirate hats, ghost dolls, face painting, they take them swimming, around the hotel, on the beach to collect stones, they paint stones, have a welcome party with cake, paint t-shirts, watch movies (sometimes not in English) and they work very very very hard at mini disco which is held in various locations, they come and shout 'mini disco mini disco' at 8.30pm and you join the queue and chant the same! We bought the mini disco CD my girls loved it so much and the heat didnt stop them! There is also 'funny the monkey' who comes (person in a suit) The mini club though I feel is a little relaxed on signing in and out and general security. After two weeks you do kind of get a feel of trust as the club is not far away from the beach (you can see it from one part) or the family pool. It all depends on your individual child. I began to trust my daughter would i.e paint the tshirt and I would keep popping to check her and then take her out. Not sure if you could leave a 4 year old, my 5yr old was ok with one eye on her, older would be fine. Again the club is VERY good, its just the signing in/out. There is limited English spoken, but usually was always one person who could. I trusted the staff.

We went on a trip to the Green Lake fishing trip with the pirate treasure hunt, it was a nice trip, you could fish in the lake, my daughter had a go, and swim in the lake. We ventured into Side old town which was nice. There are lots of places to visit and you can book through Thomson or book in the town. If you can stay out late without kids there are some bars and some clubs. I dont think Side is the place at all for young clubbers, and you wont see them. Its for families, and couples and groups of friends maybe with children. The same as this hotel, which if you compare to other locations and what you get I feel we had superb value for what we got this year. This hotel is lovely, for couples, and families. If you want a really lovely hotel and you have children or you dont! this is the place, and the price when I booked was good. If you are considering Turkey and this hotel I'd say book it, you will have a lovely time, if I was going back to Turkey I'd stay here again! If you are considering Marmaris I'd opt for the Marmaris palace and definately Lykia World in Olu deniz. Please mail me if you have any questions!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Merseyside, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We visited the Turquiose Hotel back in August 2007, because we enjoyed it so much the first time we decided to go back a second time. This time we took some of our family with us, there was 5 adults and 3 children altogether aged under 11 yrs.

We were not dissapointed at all, the service is the first thing that hits you. All staff are very professional, always willing to assist, they work so hard and such long days.

The food is supberb and anyone who complains about the choice available must be very hard yo please.

The pool and slides entertain the children for hours, beach is OK very rocky, but of you walk just walk along the beach passing the parasailing blokes you come to a lovely stretch which is shallow and has no rocks at all, ideal for the little ones to paddle in.

The entertainmnet team are fantastic, they are all different from 2 yrs ago, however they work so hard entertaining the holiday makers. The shows in the evening are good, the Lion King and Hunch Back of Notre Dam are very good.

Overall the holiday was great, very relaxing just what we needed. We hired out the Bali Houses whilst we we there for 40 euros that was a nice change. We went into Side on night, and all I can say is I would not go back there again, the traders I found to be rude and the heat was unbearable, you get hassled so much I did not enjoy that.

The other members of our family who came with us agreed with us and also felt it was a good hotel, I will return again in the future.

I feel the staff and service make the holiday so enjoyable, please go you will not be dissapointed.

crewe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

went to the turquoise with my partner and our twelve year old son in july 2009 had an absoloutly fanastic time hotel was really nice set in beautiful gardens in a pine forest never seen a hotel and grounds so clean never saw any litter, we paid for a sea view room well worth it . The staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for you a tip goes a long way worth giving a couple of lira for even better service the best barman was yalcin from the bar by the slides (mini club bar) he was brilliant always knew what we wanted and it seemed like he always had our drinks waiting for us when we went to the bar really friendly and funny. The animation team worked really hard we all really enjoyed the lion king show and we heard the mama mia show was also really good but we never got to see that. My partner and son played football almost every afternoon and really enjoyed it thanks to one of the animation team mohamed? a black guy really good at football and great with the kids my son really liked him.The food was really good lots of choice and different almost every night with different themes even my son was happy and he's a fussy eater lots of deserts to choose from which were amazing, the italian was out of this world best italian i've had chinese was lovely too.We took lira but most things priced in euros but this wasn't a problem 1euro = 2 lira.pools were great always clean never had a problem getting a lounger no matter what time we went out loved the slides.The beach was lovely also clean a bit rocky in places but what i couldn't get over was how warm the sea was it was lovely.We walked into side along the beach a couple of times it was really nice but buses easily available the shop keepers are a bit pushy but not over the top we got some really good bargains if you do walk along the beach when you get off stop at mehmets bar for a drink really friendly guy. people have commented on the germans being rude we never found this most were friendly saying hello. Overall this was the best holiday we've ever had and would'nt hesitate to go back in fact didn't want to come home so if you get the chance go.

Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for two weeks at the end of July. We had such a brilliant time. The hotel grounds are beautiful. We were in block C which was a good spot. Not to far from anything but a short walk through the gorgeous gardens. The food was varied, hot and very well presented. It was served in large covered containers which was good. The cakes and puddings were out of this world. My favourites were the coconut macaroons and the carrot cake! There are 4 a la carte restaurants which you can go in during your stay (1st time in each free). We tried the Italian which was brilliant! The service in all of the hotel was first class eventhough it was high season. You never had to wait long to be served at the bar and we never had to wait for dirty plates to be moved from the tables. There were 5 pools and 1 indoor pool. All were the hottest I have been in abroad. One pool was for anyone over 16 which was lovely and quiet if you wanted a rest or peace to read. The kids (and some of the adults) loved the waterslides which kept them occupied. There were plenty of sunbeds and shade (from umberellas and the trees) but they were being reserved as usual. A member of the hotel comes round between 8 and 8.45 and removes any towels if the beds are not occupied. If you reserve them just make sure one of the party is on them until 9.00. There was a large entertainment team who worked very hard all day and night. The shows were quite good bearing in mind they are not professional (Mama Mia,Cats,Lion King). The shows and mini disco for the kids were in the Ampitheatre which was good as everyone could see. They also have a 'hotel' dance which is really good for everyone to join in after the midday pool game and the evening entertainment. This was our first visit to turkey and the main thing we noticed was the frindliness of the people. We got friendly with a few of the waiters and one kept our table for us in the evening and even brought our drinks to the table before we had chance to sit down! You can catch a bus outside to both Side and Mangavat which only takes 5-10 minutes for a Euro each way. We went on market day and it was nice as it was covered so out of the sun. We also had a Turkish Bath which was hilarious. It was certainly worth the £20 through Thomson. The only thing I could complain about is that most of the flights are late at night so especially if you have children you may want to keep your room on. This was 40 Euros for 4 hours (from 12-4). I thought this was a bit much and think if it is a premier holiday you should be able to book it before you leave England.
To sum up. A fantastic hotel, gorgeous food, excellent service and lovely friendly people. If you get the chance GO!!!!!!!

chislehurst
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

travelled with group with ages 64, 62. 42.41, 23, 13 ,9, 7 and 7 so large family from grandparents to children we all had a brilliant time . the spa was better than most 5* hotels visited. food was good surroundings were beautiful in pine forest . the resort was spotless the staff bent over backwards to please. the only minor gripe was the nearest cash point was in side or mangavat . the photographer and watersports could not be put on room tab and had to be paid cash. the animation team was good . the photographer took good pictures.
this resort is becoming more popular with the british and rightly so. the germans were rude but you get that every where you go.
the children cried when we left as they had such a good time.
we will go back next year as this was as near to a perfect holiday as you can get

northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Brilliant hotel one of the best I have stayed in. Everyone was helpful, rooms spotless, mini fridge in room filled with soft drinks daily, free towels, food was superb, fresh, and beautifully presented, brilliant location, loads of sunbeds and shade - great pools, one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed in - and will return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Just returned from a week here with my husband and 2 daughters aged 12 & 14. Our first time in Turkey and we booked this as a late deal with Thomsons. We normally arrange our own holidays and were a little wary of going on a package holiday. What can I say!! but what a fantastic holiday, hotel was first class, food, service, rooms, facilities & weather was amazing. Restaurants were excellent and the choice and quality of food was outstanding. All of the hotel was spotlessly clean and you could have eaten off the floor. Very international flavour to the resort with, British, Dutch, French, Belgian,German & Russian visitors in equal numbers. Not a lager lout in sight!!! The animation (entertainment) team were brilliant and arranged loads of activities and shows from dawn til dusk, for all ages. Nothing at all to complain about except the changing facilities if your flight is late leaving and you have to checkout early. There are only 2 showers in the indoor pool and these were really hot and humid so we would have been sweating before we put our clean clothes on. We therefore showered and changed on the end of the largest jetty going out to the sea which was great as nobody was around and it was lovely and cool and you could watch the sunset at the same time, a surprisingly lovely experience. A WORD OF ADVICE TAKE EUROS AS CURRENCY AS EVERYTHING IS PRICED IN EUROS AND NOT IN TURKISH LIRA and this includes the airport. I would recommend this hotel for just about anyone considering booking it as it really was an unforgettable holiday and excellent value for money. We are planning to go back next year with all our family as it was so great!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Turquoise Resort Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!