“Enjoyed holiday and would go back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Merve Sun Hotel & Spa

You added Merve Sun Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Merve Sun Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   Yali Mahallesi, S.Demirel Bulvari, Side, Manavgat 07330, Turkey (Formerly Merve Sun Park Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Side
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Somerset
“Enjoyed holiday and would go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We booked this hotel last minute and as it was our first visit to Turkey not really sure what to expect, but received a positive welcome at 2.30am , had our bags carried to the room and really don't have any complaints at all. We were aware we had to pay extra for the air conditioning does make a real difference so would recommend it. The maids made a beautiful decoration of flowers on our bed one day which was really nice to return to. We didn't intend to cook as ate out everynight but if you do you may find the cooking arrangements quite basic, was really grateful for the fridge to keep the drinks cold though. The staff were helpful at all times. Used the turkish bath at the hotel, would recommend it. Enjoyed the steak in the restaurant excellent, if a little more expensive than other restaurants but worth the extra cost. Pool area cleaned every day, did not find the pool cold as others have said, found it refreshing from the heat and it was just cooler than the sea. Hotel was kept clean and a few toys for young children to play on along with table tennis and air hockey.
Perfect location for catching the dolmus buses immediately outside the hotel into Side but also . enjoyed the 4km beach walk into Side. Enjoyed the beach which has free deckchairs for the hotel.
Would definately recommend this value for money hotel and would go back, notice it has been upgraded to 3 stars for next year, can see why!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Just got home from merve sun,few let downs at first but soon resolved. Firstly was given top floor 1 bedroom with a broken cot with 3 sides, not ideal with a 9 month old son,he ended up in my bed in my arms all night cos he would have obviously fallen out if cot,also I had paid for a 2 bedroom and the stairs were not ideal to carry a baby & buggy.the 2nd day I requested new cot and wAs straight away given a new 2 bed room with a new 4 sided cot arriving later on. After this the stAy was fine, we were in room 501 at the back it was nice and quiet and spacious.pools were small but ok if u just wanted to chill. You hAve to pay for aircon which I only found out on arrival 10lira per day.and it only stays on whilst u in the room not when u go out like others I been to. Take a few kitchen bits ie tin opener,towel,cups etc as not any in our room. And if u see the kittens,my daughter would be really over the moon if u gave them some milk.They won't hassle u I'd come over your balcony they were very well behaved,just hungry. She spent her last pennies on them & gave them our left over cereal,which they loved, as she felt sorry for them let me know if u do and it will make her day. Have fun & enjoy your stay.

• Stayed August 2011
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We arrived at the Merve Sun hotel at 3am. We then got our key were taken to our room.

The next day we spent most of our time in the shade next to the pool. It was lovely and not too crowded.

The restaurants food was okay (not cheap) and they added charges on your bills. For example they added a 7 euro charge for a few drinks.

As we were staying self catering we used the next door shop which was cheap and had everything you need. We ate out every night and once took the bus to Side. Its ruins were lovely but the shops were mostly of designer items for tourists to take home.

Furthermore, is are number of games including table tennis and air hockey. Also there are two computers which are very cheap.

Room Tip: The shower is awful! One minute its hot, the next its cold.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We booked this last minute and were not expecting a great deal so were really presently surprised. The hotel room was basic but very clean and the maids worked very hard - even decorating our bed with flowers one day!
As other reviewers have commented, the pools are quite small and a bit chilly at times, but that was very welcome in the heat! There were usually enought sun beds free around the pool, although we're not really pool people and certainly didn't stay there all day...usually just at the start and end of the day.
The beach is only a 5 to 10 min walk away and very easy to get to - there is also a free bus that runs several times per day but we only used that once. The hotel has it's own patch of beach that you can sit on and the sun beds here are free. There is also a beach bar next to this beach (with very friendly staff) which offers good value meals (although not cordon bleu), usually with the free bread and dips starter and fruit after...plenty if you are holidaying on a budget!
Back at the hotel, there tended to be entertainment in the restaurant every evening of some sort, which sometimes included quite loud music. There also tended to be quite a lot of very young children racing around on toy cars etc. Not particularly our cup of tea, so tended to eat in various different resteraunts. We're not night owls, so when going to bed you could sometimes still hear the music, but didn't keep us awake.
On arriving, we were offered various trips by the Thomas Cook rep, but if you walk towards the beach you will see a tour company 'Traum Tours' - they offer exactly the same trips at ess than half the price. My two teenage daughters and husband really enjoyed the rafting trip. We also did a trip to Managvat, which was an enjoyable day out - to see the waterfall and market. (It was packed with tourists! which you would expect)
Apart from that we wanted a very relaxing holiday, so just walked or got the bus into Side when not on the beach. If you walk along the sea front it takes approx 45 mins, and you can look enviously at all the 5 star hotels on the way!! When you reach Side there are some nice restaurants on the waters edge and it is a really pleasant walk. The last buses from Side are at approx 11pm (I think) so you may need to get a taxi if you are heading back later than this.
The ruins in Side are a must to see. We were also very lucky as during the month of August Side has a free international music festival, with events every evening. The stage is next to the Temple of Apollo and is a really beautiful venue.
There are endless tourist shops and restaurants around, and you do get asked a lot to go inside etc .... we found everyone to be very friendly however and it didn't feel at all oppressive. If you have teenage daughters .. expect a lot of attention.
Negatives......the facilities in the apartment are quite basic, a fridge and 2 rings to cook on. (no teatowel,scourer etc so maybe take with you or buy) We only had two pasta meals in the apartment and breakfast in the morning, so for us it was fine. The doors on the rooms make an unbelievably loud noise, as well as people in the stairwells at night ... but once you get used to this again it is fine!! It is also not very peaceful on the balcony. Although we were overlooking the pool and the mountains, the main road is very close and quite busy.
Back to positives ..Supermarket next door to apartments is ideal for breakfast food, fruit, pasta etc. and again staff very helpful and friendly. My husband enjoyed the massage treatment that is available at the hotel, and if you go into Side try a shave in the barbers.
We had a great holiday on a budget!!!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I emailed nerve sun before my stay and requested a room between 500-515 got 509 and was very happy so please also try this!

Not happy with location as it's far away from side and this did have an impact on our stay

Manager of Hotel is very moody but rest of staff are great

Pools both too small but rooms are fantastic

Still love side

Pete and jane

• Stayed August 2011
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Rooms very clean, tidy and basic. Staff very helpful, maids get 10/10 from me for all their hard work.

Pool is cold, as other reviewers say, but I thought it was a fantastic temperature to jump in on a hot day! I went in every day as it was so nice.

Restaurant had lovely food but not cheap. One day we had only 5 drinks, 3 were non-alcoholic, they cost a staggering £20. We didn't drink or eat there again!!!

Shop next door was fab. We bought fresh bread, meats and cheeses for breakfast at a fraction of the cost of eating in restaurants.

Not a resort for someone wanting to spend every day on a golden beach with clear blue waters as the sand is dirty coloured and the sea full of weed! Also too hot and far to walk to during the day, you need to use free bus that's included, (limited times), so not a great place for a beach holiday. That said they do make the best of it.

Local shops good. Side 10 mins by bus, but Side too commercialised for me!

Room Tip: No probs with given room. At front overlooking road and we had no problem with noise.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed in self catering apartment 513 at Merve Sun, Side from 27th July to 3rd August 2011. The room was on the top floor of a building at the back with fantastic views of the mountains and it was really peaceful both day and night, also the balcony is not at all over looked.
The apartment was clean and adequately kitted out, I took washing up liquid and a sponge/scourer, I could have packed a tea towel but bought kitchen roll; everything else I needed was there. I was fully self-catering and benefited from the greengrocers on the left of the hotel and the local markets and supermarkets supplied all my food needs. I used the air conditioning for 3 nights (10tl per night) and the safety deposit box for the whole week (20tl).
I took a fold up bike that gave me freedom to do as I pleased when I pleased and to be honest, I would’ve gone insane without it! I’m not into resort life but wanted a base so I could explore. The ‘resort life’ I’m talking about is miles and miles of repeat gift shops and restaurants with massive hotels and building sites in between. No local culture or personality to be seen, 150% commercial with pushy locals pushing counterfeit designer goods. I used the dolums to get to Mavangat and they go from opposite the hotel for 2.5tl from about 7am -1am.
I took the scuba diving excursion (£54), which was ok, and the ‘Antalia Uncovered’ (£13), which was grim unless you want to be talked into buying gold and leather at the 2 compulsory stop offs before having 2 hours in Antalia itself.
Would I return? To Merve Sun in another environment-yes, to Side or another resort-no!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Merve Sun Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!