“good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Kas
beverley
“good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I visited this hotel with a friend in last week of June into July and we originally only booked one week but decided to stay for two. The reason being that the hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. I liked the area on the terraces near the restaurant where you could chill out on the sofa next to the fireplace, in fact this area didnt look like a 3 star hotel, it was lovely. And for those who swim and sunbathe the pool and sunbed area was excellent and immaculately maintained and cleaned and was really pretty when lit up at night. We paid £100 for b and b via travel republic and it was well worth the money. The service was excellent in that we asked for a room change to a sea view and we were shown 3 more rooms and only charged 40 pounds extra with a fridge. I think the previous reviews are a but picky in view of how much it cost us. Maybe other people paid more ? Dont let the first impression put you off when you arrive. I think it deserves more than a six on travel republics review and kas, well thats another story, beautiful place .......
We arrived in the night and intial reaction was that it was a bit dark up the stairs and corridors, nothing that a lick of paint wouldnt have solved but once we settled in this didnt seem to matter. I would advise dont write this hotel off just because of the slightly dated furniture and carpet , and facilities in rooms. Our first room was a good size and no fault with cleanliness. I can't believe that someone picked fault with the way the sheets were folded ! Our balcony was small but the rooms below had very spacious balconies and I cant fault this place for the money we paid. I have stayed in Kas before and it was better than the Aqua Princess in my opinion. I also looked at other hotels before and it superseded them in terms of friendly staff, value for money, cleanliness, the best swimming pool , and space to chill out as it is big enough.

Room Tip: room 206 was large , no sea view but nice. Double room further up was good size and nice sea view...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Evesham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Kas is a wonderful town, though a huge marina has been built and this may upset the bohemian atmosphere.
Phellos is 5 minutes walk uphill from the town, steep, but not desperate. The hotel draws you in and seems stylish until you go up the stairs and then its tired. Little ££ has been spent on the floors (we were on the first) or the rooms. The rooms are kept clean, but why do they insist on taking off the sheet and folding it onto the bed??? I kept the tip to myself for having to make my bed every night! As with the previous review, no fridge as stated in Jewel in the Crowns brochure. We did ask. You have to have a room with a sea view to get a fridge; at £12/day extra!

My daughter (7) loved the pool - clean, well maintained.
General restaurant staff pleasant. Management/desk staff could well do with smiling and going on a customer services course. Not the usual for Turkey. e.g I carried one bag out to the car at the end and had very little choice in carrying the second, having it taken out of my hand by the one person who said nothing over 2 weeks. He then stood there and expected a tip!! If you're reading this, say hello sometimes, offer to carry both and be thankful for a tip.

We also smuggled in drink/food. There is a rubbish bin opposite the hotel.
Overall it was fine. As with the previous review more a minor gripe than major problems, but run as a hotel to make money being a bit too obvious.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
nat2643
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My partner and I went to Hotel Phellos in July 2010. Overall I would say that the hotel was adequate - the rooms are clean, most of the staff say hello and I would say that the location is very good. It might be up a steep hill but it's right next to the main Kas strip of shops. The hill is very steep, and the hotel has no lift so if you think you are going to struggle ask for a ground floor room.

A word just on Kas itself...
Kas itself is absolutley beautiful. We fell in love with the relaxed and friendly atmosphere, the history and the food! Sitting on a wooden platform leading out to the sea at Limonaza beach was heaven. We will definetly be going back.

I'd also recommend Garlic Ali (he's mentioned on several of the Kas forums). He's a real character and we really enjoyed going on a trip out to various different bays etc. The food was great, freshly cooked off the side of the boat.

Anyway back to the hotel...

On arrival we were taken up to our room and I was very disapointed to find that the balcony had no chairs and that the room had no fridge. I didn't complain because we'd been up for over 24 hours and I just wanted some sleep, so to be fair to the hotel I can't judge them on how they would have dealt with a request to move rooms.

I'd read about the no food/no drinks policy in some of the reviews but I hadn't realised this would mean no fridge. It was really annoying as it meant even when we did buy a bottle of water or wine from the hotel we couldn't save any for the following day.

It certainly wasn't the end of the world but it was a pain. It made me feel like the hotel was only interested in milking us for all the cash it could. Breakfast confirmed this feeling - anything extra like Orange Juice was chargable and the breakfast was the same everyday. I don't mind continetal breakfast and I respect that in Turkey you must expect to see tomatoes, olives and cheese in the morning - however, I've stayed at hotels before where they have also severed fried eggs, hot turkish cheese pasties etc.

In terms of the drinks, we ended up sneaking bottles of wine in (as the hotel water and wine was well overpriced) and smuggling the empty bottles back out again the next morning. Like I said certainly didn't ruin the holiday, just a bit irksome.

In terms of the balcony. This was very small, but again you get what you pay for. What was annoying was that the balcony didn't have it's own chairs. There were two chairs in the room and you had to keep taking these in and out when you wanted to sit on the balcony. You couldn't just leave them out there because the seat and back were upholstered with leather (or may have been immitation leather). It's was so hot out I didn't think the seat covers would cope! The one time we did leave them for an hour or so they had heated up too hot to touch!!

The chairs were also really uncomfortable. They had no arms and were very straight backed so we were never able to sit in them long. In the end I took to folding my towel around a pillow and sitting on this on the balcony floor.

I found this did impact our holiday a little bit as we weren't able to chill out back at the hotel. Although it's lovely to relax into the late hours at a cafe/bar, we also would have liked to have been able to do this back at our hotel.

In terms of staff, I would say they were adequatly friendly but nothing special. We certainly found people in some of the cafes etc far friendlier.

The hotel was clean, and I can't vouch for the swimming pool areas as we never used them. All in all I wouldn't book Phellos again, but if it was the only hotel left in the area I wouldn't let it put me off visiting Kas again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
warwickshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Just back from the Phellos for the 4th year running at this time of year (2-16 October). As always the service is excellent and the staff can't do enough to help. Fresh towels daily and bed linen changed at least twice a week. We opt for the land view rooms rather than those overlooking the pool and the sea - they are cooler! Weather was very good for the first 10 days and then we had some scattered clouds and a few drops of rain - followed by a spectacular and very lengthy thunderstorm on our last Friday night. Breakfasts are a feast and the evening meals are good, but Kas has so many excellent restaurants you really are spoilt for choice - Evy's is excellent - French - slightly more expensive than some of the others but well worth a visit. A word of warning - beware the gigot d'agneau - it is a leg of lamb and Madame serves it for one person!!! The fillet steaks are wonderful. Others worthy of mention are the Meydan in the Square, the Pelican also in the square, Ora opposite the taxi rank and Maya (half way down the main pedestrian street). The Cafe d'Ali (opposite the Teras and down from the Jandarma/Polis stations is a must - Ali is a charming gentleman who serves excellent food and drink - try the lemon and mint cocktail. We didn't make it to Patara this year, but if you haven't been you should go. We arranged our own transfer for £80 stirling - sounds a lot, but the transfer is 2 hours and it really is a much quicker way to get to Kas than hanging around at the airport waiting for other people to locate their cases. Go - its wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Pembrokeshire, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We travelled from Gatwick on a holiday booked via Explore 'Ledgends of Lycia'. After a slight mix up with tickets we arrived in Kas - our tour guide walked us around the town - what a place - heaven. Loads of places to eat, lots of boats trips, loads of shops and no hassle by the locals. We felt 'at home' from the moment we arrived. Even at night we felt safe, the whole town was 'family' freindly.
Hotel food was excellent as was the service of the staff - especially the welcome. Our teenage kids soon made friends with the staff and were often having jokes with them before we set off in a morning on our adventures - swimming, diving, kayaking and walking, not to mention the boat trip to the Greek Island and all the historical sights.
We'd go back there again tomorrow!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The staff are fantastic and very friendly, a bit hard to communicate with them but they try their best. There's a new manager whose seems a bit sour. We went Half Board and the food was fantastic - if anyone goes hungry here then its their own fault. The hotel is a little tired but comfortable and the room was comfy, only drawback, it was overlooking bar terrace and got noisy with late revellers. Definitely needs a lift, as its no good for anyone with mobility problems. This could be more explicit in the brochures. Its downhill to Kas centre, but uphill back to hotel, and then steps and stairs, leaving even the fittest out of breath. The pool was fantastic, but after the 23rd September (they say "End of Season") it wasn't heated at all and could get very cold. The mini bars were switched off on 23rd with no explanation, but people just switched them back on and nothing was said. The rooms were cleaned daily and left very neat and tidy.
There wasn't any entertainment in the hotel, and it could have done with the odd belly dancer to save having to walk down to the Town Centre every night.
There's plenty to do in Kas if you want, though can get rather expensive and lots of cafes and bars to sit and watch the world go by. There's a market on Fridays behind the bus station, and you can haggle away all day if you want for bargains.
We personally didn't get ANY help from our Rep in the way of organised tours etc. but transfers to and from airport went okay, though quite a marathon and a bit scary sometimes when your driver's mobile keeps ringing as he's driving along a mountain road with no side barriers!
On the whole, an enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wrexham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed at The Phellos during the peak Summer season in July and had a lovely time.

One negative: When we arrived we were a little disappointed with the room we were given (105), it had a view of the carpark and directly opposite it was the maid's staffroom. This lead to a lot of noise and some sleepless nights. We asked to move rooms and were told we would have to wait a week by an uncooperative receptionist. We did eventually get to move and the room we were given was very nice.

Postives: That aside, we had a good stay at the hotel, the staff are extremely hard working, especially those working in the pool bar. The pool area is great and we never had to rush to put towels down early in the morning to claim a sunbed.

We stayed BB and walked into town for our evening meals. Big shout out for Deli Kofte (in the old town, by the post office) who make the most amazing meatballs, SpaghettiCi if you fancy something different to the traditional Turkish cuisine, and Bahlik Bahce who make fantastic fish dishes.

Overall, this was a GOOD hotel, in a GREAT location, with some FANTASTIC staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Club Phellos? Share your experiences!