“Good budget option but felt awkward around owner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Meltem Pansion

You added Meltem Pansion to your Saves list
Meltem Pansion
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ataturk Bulv. Meltem Sok. Kas Merkez, Kas 07580, Turkey   |
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Kas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Good budget option but felt awkward around owner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

This was our second stay at the Meltem. The reason: the first time we stayed here, we got a beautiful room with a balcony and it was mega-cheap. Second time round, things were a bit different. Although I contacted the owner directly beforehand, he quoted me a price more expensive than both the website and hostelbookers - still, it's cheap, so we went with it with some reservations. Sadly, the room we got this time was much smaller, and although it had a balcony, it was too small to sit out on. Ah well. And other factors mean that it won't be our choice next time we go to Kas (which we will do, because Kas is fantastic). Anyway, some details:

Location: really close (2-3 mins walk) to the centre of town, but down a quiet side street. You can hear the mosque, which I personally find romantic. Kas is a lovely little town, touristy and boutiquey but not too upmarket and certainly you only get the discerning tourist or backpacker - it's a long way to either Dalaman or Antalya airports. No real beaches in Kas, but lots of places to go swimming in the sea, and lots of places to arrange activities, tours with. The Lycian tombs are beautiful on the mountainside at night.

Quietness/Privacy: It's really quiet at the Meltem from the street - but sound travels easily between floors etc which can be quite noisy if you're directly below the rooftop terrace.

Cleanliness: really clean and tidy. Lovely wet room. Nice wooden beds with fresh white linen. Generally very cool, and the communal areas are lovely.

Room style: very minimalist, white walls, air conditioned :) . We looked at a few rooms this time and they really vary - looks like room 22 is one of the best ones, with a big balcony at the front and being a big room in general. The room we stayed in the second time (28) was enough to fit two beds in, a decent bathroom, and a smallish balcony.

Hotel facilities: they do a self-serve breakfast which is lovely, taken up on the terrace. The people working there will bring you tea or coffee if you ask; when it was brought out, the manager asked if I was going to use my sugar and when I said no he picked up the sugar lumps from my saucer and took them away. Economical... The hotel also has laundry, internet use, and will book up tours for you - although it is probably cheaper to do this for yourself in town. When we booked a tour in town, they made us promise to not let on to the manager that we hadn't booked through the pension. Any guesses why? Didn't eat there in the evening but I'm sure it's fine - most Turkish food is!

Service: A major issue for us was that we felt that the manager was intrusive and we felt awkward around him. Although this happened a bit the first time we stayed, we put it down to experience. The second time, we felt uncomfortable using the really pleasant shared areas. I personally felt particularly put upon. My baggage went missing at Dalaman airport on arrival, and I left the airport my contact details as well as letting them know the address of where I was staying. Happily it turned up the next day - but apparently the airport phoned the pension to check I was there, even though I hadn't given out the pension number. Sadly, they called at 4am - and the manager made sure I knew he was not happy about this, going on about how tired he was and how his stomach hurt as I was having breakfast... before tellling me that he only made money (even though his pension was full) if people ate at the pension, and would I be eating there? I felt unnecessarily pressurised, not really what I want when I'm on holiday. We generally felt uncomfortable in his company, and this meant that we were either cooped up in our room or in the town - we didn't want to relax in the communal area. But the Meltem is cheap, and other people don't seem to have had this experience (although we have had it twice), so it's a balance I guess.

Price: very cheap, one of the cheapest places in Kas, and good value for money especially for backpackers.

Overall, good value option, but be prepared to have to stand your ground with the manager.

• Liked — Clean, minimalist rooms - and particularly room 22 with the lovely balcony
  • Disliked — Feeling awkward in the communal areas
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first

Been to Meltem Pansion? Share your experiences!