“Loved the Lizo” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Kalkan
Buckinghamshire
“Loved the Lizo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lizo for two weeks in summer 2008 and I have to say, as someone who has travelled extensively, that it is definitely the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

Now, I'm not saying it's a five-star luxury resort - but then it doesn't ever claim to be. Lizo is a basic, family run place to stay, relax by the pool, have some great food and some even better company. The atmosphere of this place seems to do something to people, making even the meanest of them friendly, talkative and generous! People of all generations get on like a house on fire, something which I have never really experienced anywhere else.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I completely disagree with those who say that they were made to feel uncomfortable if they didn't spend money at the hotel and also that Ali only treats you like a friend if you're spending! (?)

My personal experience was very, very different! My boyfriend and I are students so we had an extremely tight budget, spending very little in the hotel and yet we were treated like part of the family. The Ays stay in contact with us and we are meeting up with Ali and Sarah when they are back in Britain in a few weeks. All of the Ays are extremely friendly and sociable and encouraging of people to enjoy their holidays so maybe this could be misconstrued, I don't know!

We also found that Ali would go out of his way to find us deals on trips and excursions at a rate which was significantly less (sometimes by 50%) than the tour operators' for the same - or in some cases better - trips.

Kalkan is a beautiful place, full of things to do, restaurants to try and people to meet. The Lizo was a wonderful base for a truly wonderful holiday at an extremely reasonable price... I urge anyone feeling disenchanted by big hotel chains, to try this delightful place!

Oh, and if you do go, get Ali to make you a mojito... they're the best you'll ever taste!

• Liked — The wonderful, wonderful atmospher and the great friends we made there
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Turkish first
newport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

I have been to Kalkan on 4 other occasions but not stayed at Hotel Lizo before and what a treat I had missed! We were on a "last minute" holiday as we needed a rest and we found the relaxation we needed with Ali, Sarah, Gulsen and Mehmet's hospitality.
Basic, clean, comfortable rooms at extremely reasonable rates, including a very varied and delicious Turkish breakfast, plus "special nights" featuring mezzes, fish and a wonderful barbecue, all helped to make us fell welcome and in holiday mode!
Gulsen is an accomplished cook and her cakes and pastries are to die for! There is a rumour that she may be persuaded to part with some of her delicious recipes in the form of a booklet- should this happen I will be one of her first customers, especially as I understand that some of the proceeds would go to the worthy local animal charity.
Nothing was too much trouble for the Ay family and I include the cats in that!
Even though the season was rapidly drawing to a close the attention to detail in order to make our holiday enjoyable never faltered.

• Liked — Warm and friendly
  • Disliked — I had to come home
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Croydon, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

This was my first hotel in Turkey.. and I'm already thinking about my next holiday there. As you would expect the weather is excellent. We had 14 days of hot, hot sunshine. The Hotel and staff (Ali & Sarah) were great. The Hotel was a short walk away from the beach. Both Ali and Sarah really made you feel at home and could not so enough to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Ali would not only help us organise our days trips, but on one occasion he even accompanied us to the local market and helped us get some real bargains!!

There was plenty to do with several Beach Clubs near by. During our stay we went canoeing, scuba diving ,Jet Skiing, hired a jeep and went out on the boat for the day. And on those afternoon we wanted a rest, we chilled out at the Hotel pool. I don't normally make recommendations, but I must say in this case I would fully recommend Kalkan and the Lizo Hotel ... and great combination!

• Liked — The Food was great and air condition rooms
  • Disliked — pool was a little small
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lismo4
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

This was my first trip to Turkey and I thought Kalkan was a great place for a 'sunshine' break. As I came to write this review i have noticed there seems to be some discrepancy on the Lizo. From my perspective i booked to stay at the Lizo as it was rated 1st on trip advisor ....however don't be fooled... there are 2 camps..... basically people who are VERY loyal customers of the Lizo/Sarah/Ali ( returning to Kalkan year after year) or people, like myself, who felt that the rating on trip advisor did not reflect the hotel accurately......
We stayed in the old block and i was intially very disappointed with the hotel, i was expecting basic, as the hotel is priced very competitively, but not even a bar of soap!!?!....Our bathroom was certainly not as pictured...and i did wonder what that actually was growing on the back of the bathroom door!...
Our room (islamlar) did have a sea view, but was directly below the restuarant, which i would warn anyone who likes peace not to stay in...the chairs and tables being moved around is amazingly loud and i never did quite understand why they needed to be moved around quite so much...anyway i digress....

Overall the room was kept fairly clean and the food in the restuarant was tasty but pricey ( like most of the food/beverages in the Lizo)....particularly the 'portion controlled ' BBQ evening!!

Kalkan is a lovely place for a holiday and i would reccommend the canoeing day trip........the best thing about the holiday was that we met some lovely people and i have the Lizo to thank for that. Overall i think the Lizo is an OK hotel, wouldnt go back, but have been in worse?! ....(I think) ........

• Liked — the other guests
  • Disliked — the bathroom/room
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ormskirk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

Booked the Lizo due to great reviews on Trip Advisor, in fact it was rated as the most popular hotel in Kalkan, how it achieved this accolade is a complete mystery.
I have to say that the room was only £15 a night so we were not expecting luxury but it was in desperate need of refurbishment.
Bathroom was grotty, bed had stains down the side and we had hardly any storage space.
I have to agree with other reviews regarding the hospitality of Ali, he is your best friend when spending money at the bar / restaurant but if you choose to eat and drink elsewhere you become outcasts.
The hotel has 3 theme nights each week, at breakfast Ali asks all hotel guests if they would like to attend, if you decline the invitation the atmosphere becomes decidedly frosty in fact when speaking to some of the other guest they chose not to have breakfast at the hotel on these mornings to avoid feeling uncomfortable.
We really enjoyed Kalkan, and if we were to return we would choose to stay elsewhere.
Plenty of nice restaurants although we found it to be quite expensive compared to other Turkish resorts.

• Liked — Fantastic view from balcony
  • Disliked — Frosty atmosphere, attitude of owner.
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

Although we use Trip Advisor as a bible when choosing accomodation I've never posted anything on the site.However after reading some negative reviews about the Lizo recently I thought I should write something this time. Despite being flooded out at home on September 5th this year which stressed both my husband and myself out completely we are now ready to face the mess after a fantastic holiday.

We both spend a lot of our work time staying in hotels and therefore were looking for a small, friendly, family run hotel for our holiday and the Lizo was perfect. Having made this choice we were expecting a basic room and it ticked all our boxes - clean, air conditioning, hot water and a western style loo! The water is heated by solar panels so it was warmer at the end of the day than in the morning but that wasn't a problem as on holiday we usually take our shower before going out in the evening. Yes the bathroom was a 'wet room' but this for us is ideal in a small space and the floor soon dried up in the heat.

We don't spend much time in our room on holiday so what made the Lizo special for us was the welcome and the people we met. Front of house is run by Ali and Sarah every day, all season, and it still surprises me how they kept going every day especially as they had to get up more than once most nights to welcome guests. However they were fantastic and always ready to help or have a chat. Breakfast was an extremely sociable affair and we chatted to someone new every morning which was lovely. It's also the kind of hotel where people meet for a drink before going out in the evening which was another good opportunity to meet people. As there were quite a few regulars to the Lizo there at the same time as us we were never short of tips about where to eat or what to do, but the night time view from the terrace and the sociable atmosphere made it difficult for us to want to go anywhere!

If you're foodies like us then what can I say. Kalkan is heaven! It's not a cheap resort and with global recession as it is, and the falling pound, the prices were a bit higher than we expected this year but if you take in to consideration that many places are expensive at the moment and your idea of nightlife is good food and a few drinks then it's perfect.

We combined a few nights in town ith a few at the Lizo which was perfect for us and Ali's mother is a fantastic cook! She does a mean turkish pie which I'm still trying to replicate at home! During our stay the town was hit by a power cut but as the oven at the Lizo is run by gas we had a very sociable candlelit evening on the rooftop which added to our holiday.

Some reviews have mentioned the walk up the hill to the hotel but don't get put off as it's not as bad as it sounds. You soon get used to it and if you feel lazy there are plenty of taxis. We'll probably hire a car next time so that we can explore a bit more but we were quite happy this time to visit the town beach and surrounding beach clubs and Patara beach is lovely. One tip - take your jelly shoes and don't bother packing high heels!!!

Would we go back to Kalkan - of course! Would we go back to the Lizo - definately!! With all being well we'll be back in September next year!

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere of the hotel
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

I have been coming to Turkey for over 20 years, mainly because of the friendliness and warmth of the people. I booked the Lizo based on the positive reviews, suggesting that this was a traditional establishment with a traditional welcome. Unfortunately this was far from my experience.
The initial "welcome" was anything but, with the owner really only interested in us spending more money on air con, safe deposit, etc and this was reflected throughout the stay. It appeared that the people who spent most were those who were warmly received, if you chose to eat and drink outside the hotel it felt as if you were merely tolerated.
I'm not sure how much of Turkey other reviewers have seen but this is not a good reflection of usual Turkish hospitality.
The diversity in the reviews of rooms is based on 2 blocks, one old and one new. The old block is in dire need of refurbishment, new beds and some storage space, the bathroom was also very challenging. It was also very noisy. I cannot comment on the new block but it would appear from the more positive reviews that the standard is considerably better.
Turkey is a great country with amazing people and definitely worth a visit if you can find somewhere which has not sold out to the tourist lira too badly. The lizo is not the best way to experience it, where hospitality is directly related to how deeply you wish to dig into your pocket.

• Liked — View from terrace, friends
  • Disliked — The lack of welcome, the lack of thought put into accommodation
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lizo Hotel? Share your experiences!