“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 40 Hotels in Kalkan
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I booked last minute into the Pirat in Kalkan due to the location. Having previously stayed in Kalkan I was aware of the location of the hotel which is overlooking the harbour and at the very bottom of a very steep hill.
I had booked through Travel Republic and had chosen a sea view room, however when I arrived the only way I would see the sea if if I sat on the roof. However due arriving late I stayed put and went to bed which is when I discovered the noise coming from the Chocolate bar which was just behind my room K 362.
Next morning I asked to swop to the sea view I had booked only to be told the hotel was fully booked could I wait until the next day, when I did get moved. Endured the music by taking a sleeping tablet !!!
The breakfast is mainly cold hams cheese and boiled eggs although you did get chips some days which I though was quite random. The evening meal was bit lacking in variety unless you liked salad. Only tended to be one hot meat or fish choice this is an area that although presented well needs a little bit more.
Reggae on the bar is the live and soul of the whole place and has an excellent choice of music, however just sometimes needs to take a note of his audience and play music accordingly.
As per previous reviews the biggest problem here is getting a sunbed as by 7.30am most already have a towel on them and yes it is mainly the Brits doing this . So I only stayed around the pool a couple of days the rest I walked the 5mins down to Kalkan beach where I only cost me 2TL for a sunbed and I didn't have to sit right on top of my neighbour. You can get mattress for the beds from the KELO café bar which is the nearest one to the beach. They don't charge for them but I guess they would expect you to eat or drink here which I did 25TL for large beer and fresh made pizza is not to pricey especially with getting 3TL to £1.
Kalkan is a lovely town with none of the large all Inclusive hotels which I actually prefer. A lot of the accommodation is also Villa based if that's your thing.
There are so many places to eat I think you would have to go back for many years to eat at them all.
Don't bother booking boat trips through an agent just book direct with the boat. Falcon nearest one to the hotel charges approx. £13 for a day out including lunch - beers extra.
On the whole the Pirat is a lovely clean hotel with very friendly staff - its just needs to improve on the sunbed situation, Chocolate bar and the food.
I would return to Kalkan but due to the noise would probably go back to the Happy Hotel which is about 20mins out of town.

Room Tip: Pirat 2 block K is near Chocolate bar and very noisy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friend and have just got back from Kalkan...we absolutely loved it, the hotel is in a perfect location the views are amazing, we has a basic room, very small bathroom and balcony..we found the beds and pillows very uncomfortable, they did try to help us and put a blanket under the sheet, the top sheet is little more than a cot blanket, like I said very basic..now to the breakfast boring!!! Eggs were hard or very soft, ham and cheese and salad, you could pay extra for an omelette which was nice. The bread was amazing though..diner at night was very basic we only ate there twice and although we had paid for half board we decided to eat out the rest of our stay..and that's where my friend and I could only tell you that the food we had was truly amazing..doydoy the steaks were the best we have ever eaten, we went back on our last night, there was a power cut and they managed to still serve a great steak..my friends was a little to rare for her and they cooked it again, and we did not get charged for it, they are such lovely people..the gourmet terrace in the old town just up the hill was also a lovely experience. We felt safe to walk about, couples place up market cocktail bars and restaurants. We will be going again, but we will try to find a better hotel. The weather is also perfect we went end of September...

Room Tip: Steps are a major problem...need to ask for room facing the harbour, across the road from reception.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
west yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our 2nd visit to the Pirat and once again we had a lovely relaxing week. The location and staff make this hotel, breakfast is typically Turkish, only stayed b and b so can't comment on food in the evening. Reggae in the pool bar is very good at what he does. He'll play whatever tunes you want! We stayed in the new block overlooking the pool so noise wasn't a problem for us. The rooms were kept very clean by the hardworking maids and as I say the location is fantastic, you can sit by the pool or the bar and watch the boats coming and going in the harbour. We met a lovely group of people whilst we were here which helped make the holiday what it was.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the new block overlooking the pools.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Location, location, location. This hotel is slap bang in the middle of Kalkan marina, its reasonably priced and you get what you pay for. The hotel is in 2 halves divided by a main road, one a hotel block the other apartment like rooms overlooking the sea. These share 3 pools, all overlooking the bay of Kalkan with stunning view whilst you sunbathe. The pool bar is run by Reggie, who plays gentle music during the day cranking up the volume during the evening with a selection of golden oldies and new tunes. He keeps everyone amused and is both charming and a great bar man serving everyone as quickly as he can, our bar bill for the record was spot on! Our room was adequate, slightly dated but for the time you spend in it fine for 2 weeks, its came with a small mini bar and a balcony. Breakfast was a bit crammed, a selection of more fruits, bacon, decent coffee and more than one toaster would have helped - but you can ease down to one of the nearby bars on the water front if you are underwhelmed. However the people who come here more than made up our holiday, friendly and welcoming you'll end up in tears when you leave this amazing and rather wonderful hotel. All in all we will be back soon!

Room Tip: No facing the chocolate bar rooms or you'll not get any sleep!
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a two week stay at the Pirat, our 2nd time there. This year has confirmed to us that the Pirat is a good hotel to use as a base for exploring Kalkan, and not much more. The location is fantastic, but the breakfast/dinner selection leave a lot to be desired, and we didn't have more than 2 days around the pool in two weeks because we refused to join in with the ridiculous antics of the selfish bed hoggers who put towels down at 5am...why would you come on holiday to do that?! Instead we got up, had chocolate spread on toast then made our way to one of the lovely beach clubs and spent our money there instead.

In two weeks we had dinner at the Pirat once, despite having paid for half board. This was on the Turkish night. The food was ok and the entertainment pretty good. On all other evenings we went out and enjoyed the great selection of restaurants that Kalkan has to offer.

One last thing to mention. Before arriving at the Pirat we emailed ahead, about 4 weeks in advance, to request a room in block F or G, away from the Chocolate club racket that we endured in block I last year. We had a reply from the lady on reception to say that we had been allocated a room in block G.

However, when we turned up, tired and cranky late at night after a long journey, this all appeared to be forgotten. The same lady who had sent us the email was on the desk, however denied all knowledge of the room allocation and demanded to see a copy of the email. Happily, I produced one on my phone, which she didn't seem to expect, and then admitted that she remembered sending it and went on to blame her manager for changing the room.

We spent one night in block K, as close to the chocolate bar as you could possibly get without being inside it, and then they moved us to block F. My message to the Pirat on this occasion would be to not make promises or set expectations that you have no intention of sticking to. Had we not made a fuss, they probably would have been happy to leave us in the noisy proximity of the chocolate bar for our whole two week stay.

We had a lovely holiday, as we spent 90% of our waking time away from the hotel. We intend to return to Kalkan but probably not to the Pirat again as they don't offer bed and breakfast option through English travel agencies and half board has been a huge waste of money for us both times we have stayed there. Also the chances of getting a decent room are pretty slim unless you pay extra for a pool room.

• Stayed September 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have just returned again from the lovely Pirat. The views of many other guests are quite correct, the Chocolate bar is certainly noisy and earplugs can be useful. On the positive side the hotel has added more sunbeds which on leaving yesterday had eased the problem.
Reggae was at his best playing brilliant music and keeping everyone happy, he's a great guy who takes an interest in everyone and is very kind. As are all the staff Osgur, Osman, Boran are just some of the best staff that any hotel would be pleased to have.
There has been an overbooking problem at the Samira and guests were transferred to the Pirat the most prime position is Kalan, unfortunately some were very unhappy and made it known to very many happy guests of there displeasure and moaned about everything and everyone in fact very negative. I wish they could have stayed at the Samira many of us would have been much happier not to have met them.
Read lots of views to get an overall impression. Speak to the manager Yunus direct if you have concerns and he will do his utmost to accommodate.

Tallinn, Estonia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel has 2 houses: bigger part where is also pool and breakfast and reception/rooms other side (has a lift). Houses are not connected, you need to cross the street.
Spent 2 nights in a room #305 (smaller part), sea view, balcony (2 size types, I had slightly bigger).
Room: harder bed, low quality pillows, thin duvet without cover/sheet (felt rough)-thicker one with cover. Double curtains, can black out. Bathroom: towels ok, shampoo and soap, slippers.
On the second day the bed was made up with flowers- nice touch. Decent size of a cupboard, minibar.

Hotel looks dated, as well as the rooms, which are small in a size. Furniture and fittings looking and are cheap, as well the washing liquids used for cleaning, specific odour.
AC is noisy and is not even blocking the loud music which is coming from various clubs and bars till early morning (3/4 am) every night.
Great location if you fancy partying yourself, but not for a quiet rest.

Pool: plastic sun-beds with blue mattress. No towels provided.

Breakfast: poor and basic choice, fresh orange juice and omelette for an extra cost, no fruit selection (had grapes and canned fruits). Automatic coffee machine. Plastic furniture. Better eat out in some nice cafe around the corner or plenty of other choices nearby.

Overall: basic hotel, friendly staff, location at the marina so all the bars/restaurants/shops/beach around you, high noise level during night, great views from most of the rooms, dated.

PS.I usually stay 5 or good 4 star hotels, hence I was not satisfied with the quality.

Room Tip: The rooms stepping back in the bigger part of the hotel might have less noise, but not much.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Pirat? Share your experiences!