“I wish you Good luck” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aalborg, Denmark
“I wish you Good luck”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

The hotel is very well located and the staff were very friendly to us.
However, the service is very bad. Breakfast is a disaster, they don´t have juice or even water, and if you want it you need to pay for it!! Also the room has some clean issues.
And good luck with the vendors in Antalya...they are very annoying and they are the reason why I will never come back to Antalya. They apply the prices they want to...they don´t leave you alone and you will get stressed in the same day you arrive.
This was the worst trip in my life. And I really feel sorry for that because the landscape is quite amazing....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Overall, our experience at Hotel Alara Adalya was rather frustrating.

Location is very good; however, it is close to pubs, and every night there was a noisy rock and roll band which only stopped around 10:30 PM.

Daytime staff is ok, but at least one night staff member is very unprepared - poor interpersonal skills, English even worse. Sadly, it was precisely during his working time that we had trouble.

Our room went out of water - in the toilet seat, the sink and the shower. Reception staff failed to deal with the matter properly - it has not solved the problem neither made it clear what exactly was going on. Eventually, we found out that the whole hotel was out of water, but staff failed to tell us - we had to find it out the hard way.

After a couple of hours, the supply was restored, but just for cold water. However, we really needed hot water, given the fact the nighttime climate in Antalya was quite chilly. This would be back only in the next morning, having made us take cold showers in a rather cold night.

I reported all this in an e-mail sent to the hotel Administration, but they have not replied so far.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We chose this hotel completely randomly because the trip happened so fast we didn't have time to choose more carefully. All that mattered was good location and some breakfast.

We were quite happy with what we got considering the ridiculously low price we paid for those five nights we stayed there.

The location was great. It was in the old town but in a quiet street, close to the historical harbour and good connection to the city center (about 10min walk). The breakfast was average, not bad at all. The rooms were quite cold and ever since our room was on the 1st floor, it also smelled but the smell vanished soon after we turned on the air conditioning and put it on some +27 degrees. Rooms were also a bit dirty and there were stains on the doors. The bed was queen size and quite comfortable which was really nice!

The hotel has got lots of negative feedback about the service. We cannot say that the service was bad. Actually, everyone were extremely nice and polite.

I'd recommend this hotel for a young couple like us who are not too picky but I would not recommend it to my parents. =)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Decided to stay at this hotel, despite so many negative reviews, because of its convenient position to the marina, and the fact it has its own parking facilities. Have been travelling around Turkey for its wonderful archaeological sites and stunning natural beauty. The hotel is situated in a very Touristy, market area on very steep slopes, a definite no no for anyone with walking difficulties. Apart from that, the hotel initially is very charming, elegant and very smart for a three star hotel.
we arrived about 4.30pm, the receptionist was not very welcoming , which was our first suprise as all the people at all the hotels we had stayed in were charming, welcoming and caring.
Our room (209) was spacious, initally in good order, on closer inspection, the desk where the Tv was, had a pitted surface as though acid had been spilt on it.
The shower cubicle had one sliding door that was hanging off its runner and the panel had come out of its frame. Still workable though with some very careful positioning.
Ok no great deal, were only staying two nights and did not want to make a fuss, asked the same receptionist, later if we could have two extra pillows, and mentioned the shower, he said someone would give us a couple of pillows, was unconcerned about shower,as we went out said we would eat later at the restaurant on 4th floor.
On returning went up to restaurant, polite waiter who did not understand a word of English (again no big deal)finally produced the most weird menu I have ever seen, after breakfast and an extensive drinks list,, was the item set Dinner, tried to ask what was the set dinner, the waiter phoned our unhelpful receptionist who informed us that if you wanted any food you should have ordered before 5PM, perhaps he should have told us that on check in. We atet out, on return no extra pillows.
Morning breakast typically Turkish and excellent, new receptionist , charming young man, very helpful. After a tiring but wonderful day exploring Aspendos and Perge (a must if you are into ruined cities) returned by 4pm, to find room not made up despite leaving please clean room sign on door. Same attitude prone receptionist as previous evening back on duty, we asked that our room could be cleaned and have fresh towels, he said he would arrange something, but insuinated that fresh towels were not a daily option, we pointed out this was supposedly standard for 3 star hotels, he retorted with " we are not a 3 star hotel, but a boutique hotel" , onlater return to hotel the room had been made up, and we had fresh towels.
In general, this hotel has no service, a very non charming, almost rude, late afternoon/evening receptionist, ( we were there 28th -30th september).
frankly this clouded our view of Antyala and certainly the hotel, and was a first in disappointment in attitude, and standards of all the hotels we stayed in of all the hotels we have stayed in to date, in Turkey.
There are wonderful sights to be seen outside of Antyala and the museum is a must , (if you are interested) I would return to Antyala, and stay in the old town, but not in this hotel.
Its a great shame , the hotel has great potential, which the managing group seems not to be aware of, or care about.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
FRA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I booked this hotel via HRS - standard room, late arrival.

First of all the taxi driver couldn't find the hotel and had to backtrack quite a few times. Better agree on a fixed price than the meter when arriving from the airport. The night receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful. They had run out of English maps so he organized one for me and slipped it under the door during the night.

What I hadn't noticed immediately when I entered the room was that it was on first (ground) floor and had floor to ceiling windows opening onto a dark alley which absolutely reeked of cat urine. Unfortunately the stench even crept through the shut windows. The curtains couldn't be closed properly so that anyone could just stand in the alley and look into the room. Pretty disquieting, especially for a female traveling alone...
The room was also directly behind the reception desk and next to the TV in the hall. This TV is on all night and can be loud.

When I asked to be assigned a different room the following morning, the day receptionist got cheeky, grinned at me and said I had booked an economy room and that these were the two rooms on the ground floor. He would give me a room on second floor for a surcharge of 20 Euros per night. When I absolutely refused to pay a surcharge, complained about their policy (I had booked a standard room after all) and threatened an immediate checkout, a young man came towards me and claimed to be the manager (later I recognized the same man as one of the souvenir vendors). More discussions ensued until I was finally "upgraded" to a room on the second floor.

The rooms looked pretty much like the photos - nothing to write home about, but quite adequate. Housekeeping was virtually nonexistent: The first night I accidentally spilled a few crumbs in front of the desk. The same crumbs were still there the next evening and the evening after that. I also spilled some shampoo on the shower mat (yes, I'm clumsy) which was just flipped over to its other side the next day. Towels were also only exchanged when I lay huge handwritten notes on them. The bathroom as such was kept relatively clean (after all, Turkey ain't Switzerland...).

Breakfast was absolutely awful.The buffet consisted of tomatoes, cheese, cucumbers, plain white bread, a few standard hotel jams, a small selection of cereals and - if you got really lucky - some watermelon. Chai, lemon tea and instant coffee. No juice. Doesn't sound that bad? Well, it does if the food has obviously been lying around on unrefrigerated platters for longer than it should have. It sounds even worse if the buffet has already been picked clean at 8.45am, the staff pouts at you for asking for refills (if they understand you at all, they couldn't speak any foreign languages), grumpily complies and restocks with said "old" food. Worst of all, though, was the music. They played the same tune, which consisted of 5 notes, over and over again. Repeat mode from hell. On the second day a Russian couple (which also agreed that this was the worst breakfast they had ever had in Turkey) begged the waiter to put on some other music. After that the loop was extended to include "I did it my way" and "New York, New York". Fair enough.

Some reviews mention the restaurant and rooftop terrace. The restaurant was only opened on request when I was there (after my breakfast experience I certainly didn't request) and I have no idea where the rooftop terrace was supposed to have been. Well, obviously on the roof, but I couldn't see any stairs leading up anywhere. It was not pointed out to me by the staff either.

The hotel is situated at the bottom of a steep hill and surrounded by the tourist market on one side and the boat tour operators on the other. The vendors (tour and market) are fun the first few times you have to walk past, but get annoying pretty quickly. There are two open air clubs close by which are quite audible at night. Light sleepers may have difficulties. One of the reasons I would not choose this hotel again is that you have to traverse the market (pesty vendors) and climb the steep hill every time you want to pop out again for a quick sundowner. The much nicer neighborhood with "beer gardens", restaurants and boutique hotels is uphill on the other side of the old town. There aren't any nice cosy places in the immediate vicinity of Adalya hotel.

I would specifically like to point out that I would not recommend this hotel to female solo travellers. Some of the staff got a little too friendly (including phone calls in the middle of the night on strange pretenses). Also, the setup is not such that you get to know other guests. Apparently, the location in the middle of the market is also an issue. I was stalked through the market twice in 4 days (such that I had to ask for help in getting rid of the weirdos) and approached with very explicit offers regularly, even though I dressed down in trekking slacks, t-shirts and sneakers.

Hotel Adalya is not suitable for the physically disabled or unfit, either. The hill is really quite steep and the pavement can be slippery, especially when wet. Cars are not allowed into the lower part of the old town, so that you get a free workout at departure when you pull your heavy luggage up the hill to the taxi stands. Allow extra time for short breaks on the way. I am pretty fit but in 27°C at 6.30am I was really glad when I finally arrived at the top.

Checking out was another fun experience. I had announced that I had to check out at 6am. When I arrived at the desk, there was no receptionist to be seen. After a while I noticed some snoring noises coming from the back room, so I looked around the corner where I accidentally woke a very elder gentleman. He only spoke Turkish and appeared to be frightened of me. After a while he seemed to understand what I wanted and ran off, hopefully to find the receptionist. The latter sauntered through the front door several minutes later, just when I was contemplating leaving the key on the counter so as not to miss my flight. It had gotten quite late in the meantime. Nonetheless, after my experiences on day one, I wanted to make sure they wouldn't charge some strange extras to my card. Sure enough, they claimed I'd had several drinks from the minibar (which of course I hadn't). These were quickly removed from my bill, though.

All in all I can only recommend this hotel if you're in desperate need of a decent bed in Antalya (the bed was very comfy) and all other options are booked out. There are several hotels in the area which are not only way nicer but also considerably cheaper.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

For me, the service a hotel provides, makes the hotel good or bad. Tutav Adalya provides minimal service, if any. They charge 10 Lira for providing you with an ironing board, serve a fixed breakfast - they'll bring it to you on a plate - no buffet. The hotel is dimly lit and I didn't see any staff besides the one man at the reception and one man at the breakfast venue.

The good part about the hotel was that it was in walking distance from the clubs, restaurants and from the harbour. It was also walking distance from the main roads. Although the hotel was so close to the club, it was far enough to not have the guests get disturbed by the club music. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

Make sure to carry hotel (business) cards with you when you get out - the hotel is rather difficult to find for cab drivers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I arrived at TUTAV ADALYA hotel at around 9 pm on the 15th of August. I left my suitcase at the hotel as my shuttle was going to pick me up from the hotel later in the night from there. When I returned to the hotel on the night of the 16th August at around 10 pm to pick up my suitcase , the receptionist there told me I had to pay for breakfast I had in the morning. I tried to explain that my breakfast was included in the price. The receptionist was highly angry it appeared. Then a young and kind waiter arrived who tried to help by explaining that maybe I had breakfast after 10 am which would incur a charge. I paid up 10 Turkish Lira but then the aggressive receptionist SHOUTED AND SWORE AT ME for wasting his time. I understood some Turkish but the receptionist did not know that and He called me ' [--]' twice! which means the The son of a [--], (of a woman who works in the red light district ) to avoid using the swear word on the site.The waiter tried to calm the receptionist who could hardly spoke English and was trying to tell the waiter that I had been lying to him when the waiter challenged him for his swearing as the waiter was concerned and felt for me.

For the avoidance of doubt I am referring to the Receptionist working on the night of the 16th of AUGUST who is overweight.
If there was going to be a charge for the breakfast I had between 10-11 then I should have been told before service, and I should have signed the charge sheet.But this did not happen. Furthermore when I checked out the receptionist who checked me out did not tell me there was a charge outstanding for breakfast.

I stayed in room 209. I am extremely frustrated with the way I was treated on the night of the 16th. I felt threatened and intimidated by the hostile and aggressive receptionist who was also dishonest. I have since ask the charge for breakfast to be immediately refunded and also compensation towars sum I paid to the hotel for my stay, where I was sworn at in the most disgusting and disrespectful manner ever. This was a truly awful stay. I would like a comprehensive apology but none has come forth despite my official complaint via thier website. The witness is the waiter there who was young and slim. His true account, if given the opportunity, will reveal that i was called [--] twice!! and Shouted at by the receptionist on the night of the 16th of AUGUST!! and I will not stay at this HOTEL again-unless there is a dramatic change in working practices. I hope the young waiter will be allowed to speak the truth and not put under pressure about this episode !!! I would not recommend this hotel to the families at all. The hotel is not as clean as it looks in the photos, the air con is falling apart , the bathroom really old and tired. I put my towel on the pillow to sleep because the pillow inside the sheet had gone brown with dirt. It cannot be worth more than 2 stars and this is my honest opinion based on experience. Just pay a little more and stay in a 5 star where you can take cleanliness and courtesy as well safety for granted.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Tutav Adalya Hotel? Share your experiences!