“Depends on what your expectations are” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa

You added Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Akdenyz Bulvari 1 Sokak | Konyaalti Beach, Antalya 7050, Turkey   |
Ranked #41 of 227 Hotels in Antalya
Houston, Texas
“Depends on what your expectations are”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

There is nothing wrong with the property but not too much impressed us.

Positives: Easy access to beautiful beach, nice parking area if you have a car, nice grounds. The staff is friendly, someone working will be able to communicate with you in English/German/Russian. We didn't partake in any of the spa, salon or fitness activities, but they all looked very nice. There is a small pool in the basement near the large gym. Wifi works well.

The room was small-ish, kind of comparable to a small generic Holiday Inn. Good sized bathroom. Room was clean and had a nice view.

The lobby when you enter is very pretty and looks out on to the nice grounds and pool area. However, the "towers" where you access the rooms were incredibly stuffy and very humid- it was obvious no air conditioning was running there. One afternoon there was condensation built up on the glass windows. Thank God we had our own AC control in the room (which, btw only worked when you flipped the switch to "Heat" for some reason)

We did not do the all-inclusive because we had plans to travel around the area and wouldn't be at the hotel all day. What a good decision! The first night we arrived kind of late and didn't feel like finding a place elsewhere to dine. We looked in the dining room (large hall with tables and buffet) and asked the price. He said 14 TL. 40? No, he assured us 14. Great. We can deal with a buffet for a good price. Well, we got a bill later that said it was 40 TL each. NOT WORTH IT. It was so awful I am sure we ate maybe 10TL each. There is a big selection of bread but it is all hard and not freshly baked. The only thing good is the selection of cheeses, which gets old after day 3. Everything looks better than it tastes, but then again, not everyone has the same expectations. Make sure you get there early because they start putting things away. They have other dining options in the hotel but after getting ripped off with the buffet, we never risked it again.

There is some noise from the road, but it didn't bother us. All of the beach properties are on this road, so unless your room faces away from the beach towards the north, you are going to hear some traffic.

The pool is nice (shallow though) but always had the stage for the evening entertainment set up right in the middle, so if you have plans on swimming laps, you might want to think again.

Room Tip: We liked our view facing west towards the mountains so you can see the sun set behind them. I would...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with the Gate 1 tour, worst hotel on that tour. The rooms are VERY old, the drawers had many scratches and all bang up. The air conditioner in barely working. We got lock out from the room many times as the key card reader was not working so they had to first change the batteries, then try to fix it which took at leased 30 min each time. The lobby bar is terrible the service staff is rude and push you out the way to place they're order. The Internet connection was very low in the rooms, so half the time I had to go to the lobby. The only thing that was good is the buffet and the beach area. Not 5 star!

• Stayed May 2013
North East
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had 10 days at the hotel and were pleasantly surprised. There were few English guests but this made for a more interesting stay and the hotel seemed to cater well for the vast range in needs of the various nationalities. The staff were able to communicate with all.
The range of food was immense, good quality and presentation. A huge amount of salads and fish. Plentiful food, frequently refreshed and there was always somewhere to sit. Mango snack bar is superb for waited on, grill/a la carte type menu.
We didn't have one of the grand rooms described previously, our twin bed room was basic but very clean and comfortable. The mini bar - with inclusive drinks, was refreshed daily. Robes, slippers provided, shampoo, conditioner, soap and cotton buds. Safe in room is free! Towel hire for pool towels is free. Antalya tower pool side, higher floors get the sun in the latest afternoon.
Housekeeping standards all round the hotel are very high, from rooms to public areas/poolside and restaurants and you constantly see cleaners in toilets, pool side, etc and it was spotless everywhere.
Floors in restaurant and pool side can be a bit slippy where there are any food/liquid spills and need some caution, which staff exercise well.
All inclusive drinks are not well listed, and are limited to local rather than imported drink. Vodka and gin, wine and lager are ok and you get plenty. Bar service can be a bit slow, it's a typical lobby style bar.
The animation team are very friendly and try to include everyone, we didn't find them pushy though and when people said no, they left them alone. The daytime activities are standard, aquagym, stepgym, pool games, shooting, darts etc. The evening entertainment ranged from average animation nights to spectacular visiting acts - brazil night and turkish nights were fantastic shows.
The gym is really good quality with a wide range of equipt.
Poolside sun beds were not a problem, pool very big and clean. The beach was ok - with a small snack bar.
Check in and out was quick and easy. We had no problem with reception. We checked out at midday but weren't being picked up till 8pm. The hotel stored our luggage and there were adequate facilities to shower, change, hairdry etc in the spa area.
Bus travel into Antalya is cheap and easy and it's well worth a visit to the old town which is lovely.
Speaking to other travellers on the way home, we were pleased we chose the Porto Bello, would go again and would recommend it to others wanting to stay in this area.

Room Tip: Antalya tower, pool side, higher floor. Get the sun in afternoon. Pool view and mountains.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed at the Porto Bello Hotel and Spa. I will get the downside over with first in one sentence: The WiFI connection, in the vernacular, sucked. I mean, if you are required or bent on doing some telecommuting work (yes, some of us take these vacations because we combine some work with fun) from here, then you will have to go to the lobby to get a reliable internet connection.

Now for the upsides: The pool was nice, the buffet breakfasts and dinner does not leave you wanting, the rooms are well lit and have great views --pool side or ocean side, the sun is bright, and you are surrounded by a diverse group of people.

We had a great time; I even joined a pool exercise class where I was the only one who did not speak Turkish. Do not be shocked when you see someone in a fully-covered (almost pajama looking but fancier) woman in the pool-this is a Muslim country but of course, I was wearing my 2-piece bikini myself. I just told myself that when in Turkey, do what the Russians do:) This is because the tour guide told us that the blond girls in two piece bikinis are Russians. Having said that, the exercise guy was pleased to have me join and asked me where I am from because clearly I was the idiot (not necessarily savant) who did not speak Turkish nor Russian but I told him we can converse in Spanish and English, if he speaks them as well. He was pleased I am from Canada or England or Obama. That was really cute!

The board walk will remind you of the board walk in Costa del Sol and/or Rio de Janeiro. The traffic on the boardwalk at the time of our visit, which was last week, was not crowded. The beaches are rocky so wear appropriate foot wear. The sun is nice and warm and air is nice. One thing though--the Turks and its guests smoke a whole lot. I am not exaggerating - I saw teen-agers smoking while walking to somewhere.

I am sure one can request a non-smoking room.

We also took an evening walk along the boardwalk and that was pleasant; we felt safe. There is a nightly entertainment show by the pool and they have a band on the second night. All in all, it was worth the stay. Enjoy the food, the music, and the wine, of course. Turkish wine is actually good.

BTW, and most importantly--we used the hotel spa for Turkish bath (Hamam) and massage. What can you expect when you do this? (We did it previously in another hotel as well so I am now an expert!:)

My husband and I did it together. So here is the routine: they give you a sarong like "towel" to keep your modesty intact. You are asked to take a shower. Then you can go (or not) to the sauna or steam room. Then you can hang out by the pool. The staff will then lead you to the bath. You will then be asked to lie down on top of these marble (which I, unfortunately will be morbidly describing as like a top of a marble tomb), which at this point is covered by a cloth. The men will be given another piece of Turkish towel (like a madras print sarong material) for modesty and I, now smarter, wore a psychologically boosting thong so I was not given the towel this time.
They pour mildly hot water on you as you lie down on your tummy and they scrub you, you turn over and they are scrubbing you all over, no exception, forget your modesty. Then they take this cheesecloth "pillowcase," dip in very sudsy pail, blow air into it and run it over your body. They give you a massage at this point. Then they rinse you off with warm water. Some spas will ask if you like them to shampoo your hair. This one did not. But I promise this: You come out with skin smooth as a baby, exfoliated without anaethesia for under $100, wink, wink.

Our Turkish bath was followed by an hour of body massage. Their massage rooms are very clean, very zen, smells good and has relaxing ambience, (two thumbs up). The massage, which I would rate (mediocre or great) was great.

They leave you, without as much as a "see you later" after they are done with the body massage. They leave you so you can doze off and that we did. They come back after what seemed like a long time, who knows, just maybe 10-15 so that you are awaken by your own loud snoring :) :)

(Caveat: I did not get this at first--I have had massages before and always my masseuse would say : We are done. Or my regular masseur would say, "If you are still with us, you can wake up now..." They just leave you to wonder what was next....so I knew better by the time I got to Porto Bello.)

The only thing that might bother someone is that those two people giving the Haman kept on talking to one another, hello, I wanted to take it all in in silence so I can enjoy more but perhaps they are just discussing how these Americans (by our accents, not necessarily looks) are so hung-up we won't just walk in proudly naked. Anyway....

So it is now all up to you! Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bowling Green, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We came to this hotel with several friends and were very pleasantly surprised. This beachfront hotel was very, very nice. Even though it wasn't expected, everyone in our group was given a suite of some kind. Ours had an office area and two twin beds in the outer room, and a king sized bed in the other room. Each room was quite large. We had a nice balcony (big enough for two chairs), a huge window in the main bedroom, and two additional windows in the outer room. The furnishings were quite nice. Each room had a TV (but we didn't turn either on).

There was a tub/shower in the bath but the arrangement was one I hadn't seen before. The left third and the right third of the bathtub have a wall in front. There is an opening in the middle third for entering the tub and a shower curtain to cover the opening. The shower had a consistent temperature and strong pressure.

There is a strong WiFi signal throughout the hotel, including in our room. Strangely, I got no signal whatever if I stepped onto the room's balcony. There is no charge for WiFi in the room, but there is a modest charge to use one of the two computers in the lobby.

The dinner and breakfast buffets are nothing short of remarkable. There was a seemingly endless selection of delicious food choices. One friend counted SIX varieties of baklava on the dessert bar.

There is a large outdoor pool between the hotel and the beach, and there is a waterslide into the pool. It was a bit chilly so we didn't try the pool or the beach.

The only negative to our stay was that the air conditioning for the guest rooms wasn't turned on (deliberately). They were trying to save energy. They said that we should just open the windows because it wasn't too hot outside. At night that was OK but it didn't work very well during the daytime.

We were extremely happy with this hotel and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here as part of our itinerary with Gate 1 Travel''s "Turkish Treasures Tour".
The hotel is very clean and the staff exceptionally attentive. Though English is not the most predominant language spoken by the tourists (Germans and Russians flock here), the staff are able to communicate effectively and are always courteous.
The amenities are great, and as far as resort fitness centres go, this one stands out above the crowd. Usually a treadmill and a few free weights scattered around are considered a fitness centre on a hotel's web site. This one is well stocked with a myriad machines and Olympic style free weights.
The buffet was superb. Cuisine from all four corners of the globe, but predominantly Mediterranean. The desert bar is outstanding.
Overall, a great value away from the bustle of downtown Antalya.

Room Tip: Top floor, corner rooms are expansive to say the very least. Pay the extra and spread on out.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

it was a very dissapointing experience - the staff was not attentive to our really small needs:
receptionist believed it was too busy for him to confirm our transfer back to the airport even though we were the only ones at the desk.
We came for a 2 nights visit with hand luggage thats why we could not carry any liquids on the plane. Booking a 5 star Sea Resort you are expecting that a shower gel, body lotion and tooth paste are standard items in the bathroom. None of this items were availible even upon request. It was very difficult to communicate with staff even in basic english. In general the staff was unhelpful and unpolite. The wine and the cocktails were awful.
The rooms in the Antalya Wing were very small and basic absolutely not a 5 star standard.
The location of the hotel is in an average suburb of Antalya.
However the quality of the food was good and fresh. The turkish Night Show was excellent.
Dear Management, we are sorry for this review but in general your staff was responsible for an unpleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!