“Reminded me of Costa del Sol, minus the t-shirt stores in every corner. And this is a plus!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa

You added Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Akdenyz Bulvari 1 Sokak | Konyaalti Beach, Antalya 7050, Turkey   |
Ranked #39 of 226 Hotels in Antalya
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed at the Porto Bello Hotel and Spa. I will get the downside over with first in one sentence: The WiFI connection, in the vernacular, sucked. I mean, if you are required or bent on doing some telecommuting work (yes, some of us take these vacations because we combine some work with fun) from here, then you will have to go to the lobby to get a reliable internet connection.

Now for the upsides: The pool was nice, the buffet breakfasts and dinner does not leave you wanting, the rooms are well lit and have great views --pool side or ocean side, the sun is bright, and you are surrounded by a diverse group of people.

We had a great time; I even joined a pool exercise class where I was the only one who did not speak Turkish. Do not be shocked when you see someone in a fully-covered (almost pajama looking but fancier) woman in the pool-this is a Muslim country but of course, I was wearing my 2-piece bikini myself. I just told myself that when in Turkey, do what the Russians do:) This is because the tour guide told us that the blond girls in two piece bikinis are Russians. Having said that, the exercise guy was pleased to have me join and asked me where I am from because clearly I was the idiot (not necessarily savant) who did not speak Turkish nor Russian but I told him we can converse in Spanish and English, if he speaks them as well. He was pleased I am from Canada or England or Obama. That was really cute!

The board walk will remind you of the board walk in Costa del Sol and/or Rio de Janeiro. The traffic on the boardwalk at the time of our visit, which was last week, was not crowded. The beaches are rocky so wear appropriate foot wear. The sun is nice and warm and air is nice. One thing though--the Turks and its guests smoke a whole lot. I am not exaggerating - I saw teen-agers smoking while walking to somewhere.

I am sure one can request a non-smoking room.

We also took an evening walk along the boardwalk and that was pleasant; we felt safe. There is a nightly entertainment show by the pool and they have a band on the second night. All in all, it was worth the stay. Enjoy the food, the music, and the wine, of course. Turkish wine is actually good.

BTW, and most importantly--we used the hotel spa for Turkish bath (Hamam) and massage. What can you expect when you do this? (We did it previously in another hotel as well so I am now an expert!:)

My husband and I did it together. So here is the routine: they give you a sarong like "towel" to keep your modesty intact. You are asked to take a shower. Then you can go (or not) to the sauna or steam room. Then you can hang out by the pool. The staff will then lead you to the bath. You will then be asked to lie down on top of these marble (which I, unfortunately will be morbidly describing as like a top of a marble tomb), which at this point is covered by a cloth. The men will be given another piece of Turkish towel (like a madras print sarong material) for modesty and I, now smarter, wore a psychologically boosting thong so I was not given the towel this time.
They pour mildly hot water on you as you lie down on your tummy and they scrub you, you turn over and they are scrubbing you all over, no exception, forget your modesty. Then they take this cheesecloth "pillowcase," dip in very sudsy pail, blow air into it and run it over your body. They give you a massage at this point. Then they rinse you off with warm water. Some spas will ask if you like them to shampoo your hair. This one did not. But I promise this: You come out with skin smooth as a baby, exfoliated without anaethesia for under $100, wink, wink.

Our Turkish bath was followed by an hour of body massage. Their massage rooms are very clean, very zen, smells good and has relaxing ambience, (two thumbs up). The massage, which I would rate (mediocre or great) was great.

They leave you, without as much as a "see you later" after they are done with the body massage. They leave you so you can doze off and that we did. They come back after what seemed like a long time, who knows, just maybe 10-15 so that you are awaken by your own loud snoring :) :)

(Caveat: I did not get this at first--I have had massages before and always my masseuse would say : We are done. Or my regular masseur would say, "If you are still with us, you can wake up now..." They just leave you to wonder what was next....so I knew better by the time I got to Porto Bello.)

The only thing that might bother someone is that those two people giving the Haman kept on talking to one another, hello, I wanted to take it all in in silence so I can enjoy more but perhaps they are just discussing how these Americans (by our accents, not necessarily looks) are so hung-up we won't just walk in proudly naked. Anyway....

So it is now all up to you! Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bowling Green, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We came to this hotel with several friends and were very pleasantly surprised. This beachfront hotel was very, very nice. Even though it wasn't expected, everyone in our group was given a suite of some kind. Ours had an office area and two twin beds in the outer room, and a king sized bed in the other room. Each room was quite large. We had a nice balcony (big enough for two chairs), a huge window in the main bedroom, and two additional windows in the outer room. The furnishings were quite nice. Each room had a TV (but we didn't turn either on).

There was a tub/shower in the bath but the arrangement was one I hadn't seen before. The left third and the right third of the bathtub have a wall in front. There is an opening in the middle third for entering the tub and a shower curtain to cover the opening. The shower had a consistent temperature and strong pressure.

There is a strong WiFi signal throughout the hotel, including in our room. Strangely, I got no signal whatever if I stepped onto the room's balcony. There is no charge for WiFi in the room, but there is a modest charge to use one of the two computers in the lobby.

The dinner and breakfast buffets are nothing short of remarkable. There was a seemingly endless selection of delicious food choices. One friend counted SIX varieties of baklava on the dessert bar.

There is a large outdoor pool between the hotel and the beach, and there is a waterslide into the pool. It was a bit chilly so we didn't try the pool or the beach.

The only negative to our stay was that the air conditioning for the guest rooms wasn't turned on (deliberately). They were trying to save energy. They said that we should just open the windows because it wasn't too hot outside. At night that was OK but it didn't work very well during the daytime.

We were extremely happy with this hotel and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here as part of our itinerary with Gate 1 Travel''s "Turkish Treasures Tour".
The hotel is very clean and the staff exceptionally attentive. Though English is not the most predominant language spoken by the tourists (Germans and Russians flock here), the staff are able to communicate effectively and are always courteous.
The amenities are great, and as far as resort fitness centres go, this one stands out above the crowd. Usually a treadmill and a few free weights scattered around are considered a fitness centre on a hotel's web site. This one is well stocked with a myriad machines and Olympic style free weights.
The buffet was superb. Cuisine from all four corners of the globe, but predominantly Mediterranean. The desert bar is outstanding.
Overall, a great value away from the bustle of downtown Antalya.

Room Tip: Top floor, corner rooms are expansive to say the very least. Pay the extra and spread on out.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

it was a very dissapointing experience - the staff was not attentive to our really small needs:
receptionist believed it was too busy for him to confirm our transfer back to the airport even though we were the only ones at the desk.
We came for a 2 nights visit with hand luggage thats why we could not carry any liquids on the plane. Booking a 5 star Sea Resort you are expecting that a shower gel, body lotion and tooth paste are standard items in the bathroom. None of this items were availible even upon request. It was very difficult to communicate with staff even in basic english. In general the staff was unhelpful and unpolite. The wine and the cocktails were awful.
The rooms in the Antalya Wing were very small and basic absolutely not a 5 star standard.
The location of the hotel is in an average suburb of Antalya.
However the quality of the food was good and fresh. The turkish Night Show was excellent.
Dear Management, we are sorry for this review but in general your staff was responsible for an unpleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a very good hotel in average. For those super sensitive to details it could have some details improved. I was on holiday and did not want anything minor to disturb great seven days. Great private beach, lots of different restaurants, pool, gym (with coach), jacuzzi,..... On the other hand, great food (I mean it) any everyone can find just what they like. For my birthday, I find cake with candles and bottle of wine in my room. Never happened before in any other hotel. So, if you are not too picky, go ahead and enjoy Porto Bello.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had wonderful stay in this lovely vibrant place near to beach. Keeping in mind past experiences of sending time in all inclusive holidays in turkey, I would like to point out some subtle but very important differences .
Services provided are same across all of inclusive hotels but this has many positives
Positives
Staff are excellent, in previous 5 visits , we were always hounded by staff for tips and favours and even get served, but in this hotel, staff were totally opposite, excellent service with no hassle, no one chasing for tips, and most staff knew good English and those who didn't always brought someone who knew English .
Rooms were nice and clean, good toiletries and good cleanliness all around.

It is near beach but a very busy road separates the beach from hotel though a underpass is available but noise of traffic is annoying if u wanna sit on balcony and admire teh beautiful view from ur balcony.

Food is good and varied with good variation and fresh.

Room service is prompt and excellent . Wow

But beach is not sandy, clean but pebbly, but if u just wanna bake urself on beach, u will have no problems

Finally, if you prefer a good nice hotel with good service with a beach next door and alos in close proximity to Antalya, this one is for u, but if u prefer a quiet sandy beach away from hustle bustle of city, stay away from it..
Whichever way have fun...

Room Tip: Get early to get pool side sun beds, massage is very good and commended ,
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for about 5 days in March, It is a perfect hotel and I was satisfied in overall

Advantages:
Good service, Variety of delicious foods, Clean rooms, Good geographical place (only takes 5 minutes to go to Migros shopping mall by bus or taxi, and it takes 20 minutes to go to Old town by bus or taxi), Clean and nice beach, WiFi connection was great, The hotel's Gym is great (good equipments, lifts and treadmills, Sauna and the pool are great as well. Tennis court costs about 10 dollars (including rackets and balls) for one hour which I think it's a reasonable price.

Disadvantages:
Receptionists are not very kind, This hotel does not have rooms with sea view, 30 minutes massage cost about 50 Euro ;), Fresh fruit and fruit juice are extra cost, WiFi connection turns off at 12 a.m to 6 a.m.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!