“Fantastic hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 225 hotels in Antalya
Derbyshire
“Fantastic hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Excellent hotel only 20 minutes from the airport. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is extremely clean. We travelled in December and were there for Christmas, There were a lot of German guests and generally people in the resort greeted you in German (shops etc). The hotel has excellent facilities - spa (Turkish bath, sauna, steam room, indoor pool including toddler pool, jacuzzi), games room, lots of outdoor pool space (all closed for Winter season) and funfair for young children. Security in the hotel is good, with security guards both at the from of the hotel and beach entrance. It is straight out of the hotel onto the beach. The food is excellent - breakfast omelettes made in front of you, lots of choice at every meal. You would have to be extremely fussy not to find something you liked at every meal! There is a theme night for food each evening - Italian, International, Far East, Turkish, Fish, but plenty of other standard choice as well. So much we didn't think about using the a la carte!
Even in WInter the patissiere and TUrkish tent are opoen offering refreshments and snacks during the day - you could actually go from one to the other and never stop eating all day!
There is a shuttle bus service twice a day to Antalya (5 Euros) which is much cheaper than the 50 Euro taxi service. The Dolmus (Local bus) stops anywhere and number L38 goes to Lara (Good for market on Saturday). This cost us 5 Lira for 3 people each way. Dolmus means squash and it usually is!
The resort of Lara beach has a few shops and they like to take Euro and English money better than Lira! English is the best for bartering in some shops there. It seems that you need various currencies and anything goes! It also seemed that the exchange rate was better in resort than in England!
There is a fantastic little chemist at the end of the Grand Bazaar in resort, He is very helpful and cheaper than the rest and also a qualified GP. I would recommend him as the best in resort!
You can walk along the beach right to the end (a river separates this from the next beach!) and then take a dirt track (road) which leads to the shops then back along the road. This was our almost daily amble and took us around 3 hours with lots of shop visits and a gentle amble!
I would recommend this resort out of season. I imagine it being really busy and probably a bit noisy in season.

Room Tip: Asked for adjoining rooms but ended up on different floors due to room types. This may be a problem...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

1,088 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I returned to the Royal Wings for two weeks from 29 November to 13 December. I enjoyed my holiday in December 2010 I was keen to return.

Everything was much the same as last time but the hotel was a lot quieter this year. So much so, one of the two main bars on the lobby floor was closed for most of my stay. This didn't really affect my enjoyment, as the service was generally excellent (only occasionally were there delays getting drinks). If I remember their names correctly, Ehmet (who worked the gossip bar most nights) was especially friendly as was Azra in the piano bar.

I apologise for not getting to grips with the tipping system, it was remiss of me not to bring any euros to tip the staff. I won't make that mistake next time as I understand from other guests the staff try even harder if you give them the odd tip. Most work incredibly hard anyway and deserve it.

Some aspects of the holiday were an improvement on 2010; the weather was better (only a couple of cold days) which meant some of the outside bars were still open, including one on the beach.

A nice touch by the hotel was to send a fruit basket up to my room on the second day. I found out about the silver card (the upgrade you get when you go for the third time) so will definitely return to the Royal Wings.

Also, I made use of the A La Carte restaurants and was able to visit both the Turkish and Italian. The food in these was to die for - so many courses and all of it delicious - and the service was outstanding, I never had to wait for my glass to be topped up!

After I eventually tracked down the Thomas Cook rep (who gave me the wrong day and time on my welcome card and then didn't show up for the next welcome meeting) I took a trip to Kurunsulu, Perge and Aspendos. I wholeheartedly recommend this trip, I thought it was good value for money and the Ampitheatre at Aspendos was amazing!

On the last day I had a treatment at the Spa centre having managed to haggle the price down from 120 to 65 euros. Turkish bath with foam peeling and full body massage - 90 minutes of bliss and relaxation.

The holiday wasn't quite as much fun as last time by dint of the fact that the hotel was so quiet and there were very few English guests. The only ones I really met were Ron and Maureen who were there for 5 weeks and were really friendly towards me. In fact, I'm very glad I still speak German otherwise the holiday would have been very lonely (I had some nice conversations with the German guests, including Birgit and her daughter Sabine on their last day, alas). Most of the staff and guests seemed to assume I was German and spoke German to me but I didn't mind that at all. As a generalisation German holidaymakers seem much friendlier and more cheerful than the English.

Also disappointed that there were no English TV channels other than the news. A sports or music channel would have been appreciated.

The one thing that really disappointed this year was the attitude of some of the entertainment team. The shows were very good and I went to most of them, but of the team only Christina (who remembered me from last year) and John showed any real interest in me. In fact, I often felt I was ignored by the entertainment team especially when I was in the bar in the evening. This was particularly disappointing in the case of some of the girls given that I had made the effort to attend their gym classes. I can understand young girls being fearful that they might be 'hit on' by solo male travellers but when they have already met me this is unnecessary and ultimately it is their job to entertain ALL the guests and ensure they are enjoying their holiday.

I plan to return to the Royal Wings as I still love the hotel (possibly as early as next March) so I hope that this one disappointing aspect is addressed before then.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

I went with my 7 year old son. As a single mum I felt very safe in the hotel and the mainly male staff were all lovely. Rooms gorgeous but matresses are made on brick. Noise from entertainment kept us awake several night but with this location in the hotel came the most gorgeous view of the beach. Food was lovely but trying to get served by the waiters was a nightmare. Ended up just getting fruit juice from machine as u cud wait ur whole meal b4 they had time to see to u(very busy). found the water park ok but there are no where near enough tyres to go around when wanting to go on the slides so we bought a couple at the advise of the shop staff only to be told off for using our own inflatables!!! Very annoying. Wave pool only on 2 times for an hour in total each day and don't even think about trying to go on the fairground. The staff were on water duty and fairground so u had to wait on them coming down to let u on anything. Pool area very slippy!! Be careful. I saw a few people break bones while I was there. Beach stunning. Outside food areas were brilliant! Stay away from the bar staff at the kids pool they got mad at my son for asking for kids cocktails/it was too much trouble for them but all other staff were great. Would definatley go back but not in august. Oh and the so called "towel" on sunloungers rule? Don't believe it. Had to practically sell my soul to get a lounger after 8am at the main pool so we always had to go to the slide pools .

• Stayed August 2011
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my kids aged 6 and 12 for 4 nights. We arranged this trip via ETS, one of the biggest tour operators in Turkey.

We chose their All-Inclusive package and it was great. We stayed stay in a room with seaview because other side of the hotel looks to ugly buildings and noise comes from the road.

The room was very clean and large enough for 3 people. We ate our dinners at their ala-cart restaurants, the Italian was the best. Kids enjoyed a lot, there are a lot of activities for each age group.

The hotel is very close to Antalya Airport, we rejected the transportation offer from operators, they ask 50 Turkish Lira per person for one way, but a taxi costs only 40 Lira.

Overall I recommend this hotel to every one, especially for familes with kids.

Room Tip: All seaview rooms are OK, but try to have a room on the upper floors for the good view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is the second time I have been to this hotel and the only reason we are not going back is to sample another countries delights. This hotel is a fantastic holiday hotel for couples and families alike who like everything all in one place. The beach is at the end of the hotel which is really well kept, there are so many places to eat in and around the hotel itself and the pools are lovely. The food is excellent and there is always something to eat available no matter what time of the day or night, I especially liked the kebabs and the cake counter... nom nom! The entertainment is always on, be it by the pool or in the evening although sometimes its a little bit dodgy but they do put on a good performance. There is not enough seating in the bar area indoors for the whole hotel if its a bit dodgy weather outside but the drinks still keep coming! My kids loved the opportunity to go to the front of the hotel where there is a mini waterpark but pleanty for adults and kids alike as well as the mini funfair. The kids club is amazing and they are really good with the children and this is just next to the childrens pool which is handy. The rooms are kept well, nice clean and homely with a mini bar which is topped up daily! Its the best all inclusive I have been too, I just hope my holiday lives up to this one or I will be back here a 3rd time. If you have already booked here you will love it, if you havent booked here you should make sure this hotel is a serious contender for your next holiday. Only downfall is there is not much outside of the hotel but there is enough inside to keep you entertained!!!!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: The really fantastic ones are at the top floor but these are at a premium cost, as I have never had...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011 via mobile

i stayed at the wings and came back 22nd november. First of all the room was great and was cleaned everyday. But the only problem was most of the staff seem to favour the germans. You would be sat waiting for a drink whilst eating your meal and the waiters being fully aware of you would opt to serve germans who had arrived after you. By the time you finished you will be lucky to be served. I find most of the staff ignorant and only a few are ok. the hotel itself has no faults just a shame i cant say that about the staff.

• Stayed November 2011
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Have just spent a week at the Royal Wings. All in all a super hotel and the food really was delicious. There was such a variety and all very fresh. The layout of the hotel is very nice and the grounds are very clean. Staff are courteous and helpful. You really do not need to leave the hotel as all the facilities are there. Evening entertainment was good and fun.
My advice would be - do not take a kettle or a travel iron as you are not allowed to use them in the room. You can get hot and cold drinks whenever you want and likewise with food.
The rooms in the wing above the piano bar are a touch noisy at night, so if you want a quieter room ask for a room in the wing above the sky bar.
It was super value for money and would recommend it. I have never been to an all inclusive hotel before - and based on this experience would try it again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the wing above the piano bar are a touch noisy at night, so if you want a quieter room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Wings Hotel? Share your experiences!