“Better than Istanbul” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sefa Hamami

Sefa Hamami
Barbaros Mah. Kocatepe Sok. No:32 Antalya Merkez, Antalya Merkez, Antalya, Turkey
+90 242 241 2321
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Get a relaxing massage and treatment in a Turkish bath, or hamam. Sefa Hamam, located in the heart of the Old City, dates from the 15th century and combines elements of the famous Selcuk architecture with the amenities of a modern Turkish Bath. This is a unisex hamam. However, you might have an option to have bath in separate areas. Masseurs are males, giving service to both males and females.
Geneva, Switzerland
9 attraction reviews
“Better than Istanbul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I really loved this hamam. Although I went naked, it might be better to have bikini bottoms on, especially if you are taller than 170 cm, since the initial wrap is not that wide. It took me 1.5 hours, I was the only visitor. If you are there outside the tourist season, you will have to go in time; although they claim to be open till 22:00 evey night they often close at 20:00 or so if there is no-one around. 10 (or 5 if on a budget)TL tip seems appropriate.

Visited February 2013

“Unbelievable experience and value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing. Couldn't have asked for a better Hammam experience. I did it with my boyfriend and we were able to go together which was a great experience. 45 Turkish Lira for a complete experience each. Tipped 10 Lira each. We did this on our day of rest and it totally prepared us for the rest of our journey. Completely recommend this for anyone in Antalya looking for an authentic experience!

Australia
9 attraction reviews
“More than just a bath”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you're going to Antalya, make sure you check out this bath. The Lonely Planet guide recommends a couple of good Hamams in Istanbul. Although they are great too, they are full of tourists! This one wasn't and it was just as good, if not better than the ones in Istanbul, because it is so old and has so much history and charm. As other reviewers have said, it is authentic too!

Visited September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
23 attraction reviews
“The real deal - don't miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I still dream about Sefa Hamam - I wish I could go there every day. It's right in the heart of the Old Town and easy to find. The 600 year old building is wonderfully authentic and the staff are welcoming and very professional.

20 euros for scrub, soap and oil massage is an amazing deal (I read something about tips of 25% expected in hamams, but they don't pressure you for tips here and more than deserve it anyway!).

I just wanted to outline the process, especially for solo female travellers like me who might not be sure of what to expect. Hopefully it's helpful for some people:

1. Enter a private changing room where you strip off and wrap yourself in a thin towel. I kept bather bottoms on and I'm quite glad I did - it meant I could relax a little more.
2. Lock up the room and take the key with you as you follow your masseuse (?) downstairs into an amazing marble room. (Go to the bathroom now if you need - there's lots of heat and running water down there!)
3. Lie down on a hot marble block and relax. It's a bit like a horizontal sauna and they leave you there for 20 minutes as you happily sweat out all your bodily fluid (you can ask to stay for longer if you like, but I got a teeny bit burnt so I think 20 mins is sufficient).
4. Your staff member returns and pours very warm water all over you, after resting your head and feet on cushions. You then get gently scrubbed all over. They discreetly cover you with the towel when you roll over and they don't scrub your chest (as they do in female hamams), just your sides and shoulders.
5. After more water you get a soaping! This involves soft soapy bubbles being poured all over you and gently massaged in. Again, your chest (ladies) is never touched or exposed.
6. The bubbles are rinsed off and then you sit on a ledge at the side to have your hair washed, which is a lovely experience.
7. You're left alone to finish showering yourself then go next door where you are wrapped in three towels and taken upstairs for fruit and tea.
8. After the break you go to a separate room for the oil massage.
9. Pay and drift out of there in a happy haze of relaxation. (I was there for about 2 hours in total)

Check out their website for a bit more information: http://www.sefahamam.com/index.php

I cannot express how much I loved my experience at Sefa Hamam. It has probably been my favourite part of Turkey so far and was also great for the historical element of imagining what it was like to be alive back in those days. You absolutely must try it. Delightful!

Visited January 2013
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
11 attraction reviews
“Authentic experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

It seems odd to think that having another man give you a bath while you are effectively naked (but always discreetly covered) could be an enjoyable experience, but that's exactly what the trip to Sefa Hamami was. As long as you go with the flow and don't mind fleeting moments of nudity in front of a stranger this can be a very relaxing and refreshing experience.

Visited December 2012