“Beautiful oasis in the middle of Kaleici (old Antalya) - we couldn't have asked for more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kaucuk Residence

You added Kaucuk Residence to your Saves list
Kaucuk Residence
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Tuzcular Mah. Pasacamii Sok. No.22 | Kaleici, Antalya 07100, Turkey   |
Special Offer
MEMORABLE WEEKEND
Ranked #2 of 163 Antalya B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The three of us (my parents and myself) stayed in one of the Kaucuk Hotel's Green House "suites" for 4 people maximum, located above the ground floor - one room had a double bed with a door separating it from another spacious room with two single beds. There was one small bathroom with a rain shower head.

We had our own spacious balcony with two very comfortable chairs overlooking the serene and oasis-like garden and welcoming pool manicured with much care and attention to detail. I spent the afternoon in the garden, admiring the rubber tree, the palm tree, the jasmine vines etc. and watching the happy turtledoves make their nests; jumping in and out of the much-needed pool (due to the heat!); and reading contentedly in the very comfortable poolside chairs placed thoughtfully throughout different corners of the garden (large soft towels are provided by the hotel). The garden is designed in a way that allows different guests to enjoy their own secluded corner while sharing it with others--you don't even notice the others are there! It was so peaceful I happily fell asleep in one corner of the garden.

Upon our arrival they personally accompanied us to a public parking lot not far down the road and not too expensive at 15 TL for the day and night (this is Kaleici and parking is hard to come by). We had arrived before the room was ready but they took care of our luggage, bringing it all up to the room when it was ready and before we had returned. An especially nice and welcome touch was the refreshing water with lemon and mint Erol, managing the place, brought to our pre-air conditioned room, especially because it was over 35 degrees that day!

To be honest, I might have paid even more for the experience we had (we got a great deal for it online)! Within an hour of our booking the hotel's staff wrote me to ask when we would arrive and leave and to ask if we needed an airport transfer arranged, which I thought was a very professional touch.

We slept very well--we heard no noise from the street and the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, not to mention the very soft sheets. I usually find that Turkish sheets are very rough, but not here!

Erol was happy to cater to our needs, and even accommodated our early departure the next morning by providing a very generous breakfast at 7:30--a full hour and a half before they usually start to serve breakfast! Vegetables, olives, different cheese, fruits, toasted bread including simit and eggs were on the menu, including filtered coffee or tea. Erol also took the time to show us the other rooms: they were very full of charm and attention to detail in the old Ottoman style that is true to the house and its facade and decor. Very "Victorian" romantic as well. Any couple would be delighted to stay in such a room.

This is a fantastic find--you won't be disappointed, and I look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have just returned from spending a week at Kaucuk Otel in Antalya, Turkey. What a delightful experience! This hotel has been meticulously restored to give guests a taste of Old Turkey. It is immaculate, and the service is excellent. The garden and pool are lovely, and the Turkish breakfast that is served there is the best I have ever had -- and I have been in Turkey many times. The owner is so charming and welcoming! I felt like a valued guest and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Room Tip: Use the website. The pictures are quite accurate.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel! I cannot raise fault to anything. Me and my partner booked to stay at Kaucuk last minute as we didn't like the hotel or resort we had booked, we stayed for the last 3 nights of our 7 night holiday and can honestly say those 3 nights made up for what can only be considered a holiday from hell! The owner and the staff of the Kaucuk made us feel so welcome. We had a suite which I must say was a little big for the two of us (although it was my choice to book a suite) and we did have our own luxury balcony overlooking the garden and pool. We were only there for 3 nights and the room wax cleaned everyday, you couldn't find a speck of dust if you tried! If you're wanting a holiday where you can just sit back and relax or fancy getting out and about and seeing a bit of everything I recommend this hotel to anyone and if I am ever to visit Antalya again I can happily say that I will be booking to stay at the Kaucuk!

• Stayed July 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

After a busy time at work, I wanted a week of relaxation in a quiet, low-key hotel with good facilities and some interesting cultural activities nearby. I had already decided on Antalya's Kaleiçi district and, after doing a little research, decided on Kauçuk.

The hotel itself is beautifully designed and situated, made up as it is of two well restored Ottoman houses in Antalya's 'old town' (Kaleiçi). If you pay a visit to the Kaleiçi museum and read a little about traditional house design in Antalya, you'll see how the hotel has managed to successfully integrate some of those touches with the demands of functional hotel design. The result is a classy, but very relaxed atmosphere that gives you an immediate sense of specific 'place'.

Mine was the single 'Verda' room which was pleasantly furnished and spacious enough for a solo traveller. The bathroom was well designed and there is good water pressure from the shower. The bed was comfortable enough, but if I have one small gripe it would be for a headboard to be attached - the pillows would slide off the bed and onto the shelf immediately behind. When I first arrived there was no hot water or air conditioning in the room, but when I raised this both issues were immediately and effectively resolved. These things can happen anywhere and in my view, it's the effectiveness of their resolution that marks out a well-managed hotel. Wifi is both free and fast. As previous reviewers have noted, there is a pleasant sitting area outside the room overlooking the garden.

The garden/pool area is exquisite and carefully maintained by the staff. Breakfast is served out there, with generous portions of Turkish breakfast staples like olives, tomatoes, fruit, cheeses, jam, 'simit' bread etc. Coffee was very weak though - in fact it didn't taste noticeably of coffee. Otherwise, breakfast was very good.

My usual routine was to have breakfast and then go for a leisurely stroll round Kaleiçi (in search of a stronger coffee!) and then return to the hotel around noon. I'd spend the rest of the afternoon in that lovely quiet garden in a shaded spot with my book, taking periodic dips in the pool. Staff were unobtrusive but always on hand to bring over a cold Efes beer and serve a simple light lunch.

Staff are pleasant and accommodating. Rengin, the owner, is a very nice woman with a terrific sense of humour, seems to be around often at the weekends and makes a point of personally welcoming and engaging with guests. She was a great help in arranging a ticket on my behalf for the opening night of the nearby Aspendos opera & ballet festival (if you are in or near Antalya in June - go to this for the setting alone!).

So, for me this hotel was almost ideal. I am not typically a 'sit by the pool' type of holiday maker, preferring city breaks/cultural tourism. However, I needed a rest this time and both Antalya and this hotel facilitated an almost perfect balance between the two. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Our first trip to Antalya and staying at the old town was a great decision. The traffic was limited. We could walked around comfortably and enjoyed the traditional alleys. When we needed to find restaurants and money exchanges, the shopping and busier part was steps away from the old town.
Kaucuk Otel a great choice for us. The owner spoke fluent English and was hospitable and helpful. She helped up arrange two day-trips first to Timerssos, and Duden Park; second to Sedi, Aspendos, and Perge. We had a great time.
Check out Kaucuk Otel web site. You can find photos of the rooms, swimming pool, and most importantly the court yard, where we had wonderful breakfast and late evening drink. Staying at Kaucuk was like visiting my aunt’s house. I’d highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Antalya, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We are Americans living a couple of hours drive from Antalya. For our anniversary we decided to spend the weekend in the city. What a wonderful decision it was to stay in this small, well located hotel.

Our first impression of the hotel was that it is clean and everything looked perfect. I don't know what else to say, except that it was immaculate and manicured. A lot of attention was given to detail, and that is difficult to do with an old building.

With only nine rooms, the staff gave us personal attention as well. Although the temperature outside was 95 F/35 C while we were there, our room was cold. The hotel provided extra blankets for us because we didn't want to turn the a/c off. The shower was excellent, our view of the pool was nice, and everything in the hotel was CLEAN and in its place!

Breakfast was something to look forward to. We ate next to the pool and enjoyed the homemade jams and fruit spreads (you won't find anything this good in a store) made by the owner's mother. Breakfast was all Turkish; boiled eggs, toast, olives, tomatoes, cheese, coffee, etc. However, if you wanted something else, for example a poached egg, they provided it. The food was excellent and listening to Norah Jones at breakfast was a bonus.

Noise in the room was bearable. The hotel is in the middle of the Old Town, so there is music playing into the night. I could hear the thump of a bass through the wall, but my wife didn't hear it at all. She is a very light sleeper and didn't have a bit of trouble falling and staying asleep. We both did.

We really enjoyed meeting the owner and spending time in the courtyard our last evening there talking and listening to soft relaxing music.

We stayed two nights and hated to leave. Loved it and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We were searching for a hotel for two night in the old town of Antalya. Near the old Harbor. The Alp Pasa was on our focus but was full. After all we were glad the Alp Pasa was full because we stayed two night at the Kaucuk. The Kaucuk is a small boutige hotel in a “Konan” house (Old Ottoman house). They have limited numbers of rooms but we like it that way. The Alp Pasa is more crowded.
The room, the courtyard and the people were all wonderful. Breakfast was very good. Nearby there is a small beach which costs 5 Turkish lira to enter.
Only thing was that is was very warm while sleeping, even the airco was on.

The staff was excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kaucuk Residence? Share your experiences!